Bielsa offered 3 million?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CU soccer, Jul 7, 2011.

1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on ?

2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not doing a very good job at that then. If they did it for "publicity" then there'd be more information than one article from mlssoccer.com and one article from a paper in Buenos Aires four months after the so-called announcement was made.

3. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would concur with that... i mean, gulati said himself he'd be commenting on Bradley's status by late last week... that self-imposed deadline came and went... crickets... and no media has even questioned him on it that I am aware of...

4. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he didn't say that. What he said was, "We'll have something to say later this week." I don't recall anyone saying what he was referring to. I do recall a lot of BS posters assuming that they knew what he meant by that.

In fact, USSF (that'd be the "we") did have something to say later in the week. There was an open letter to fans released about the security situation in Pasadena. There was also a statement that came out that stated that Gulati's original comments were misinterpreted.

It may not have been what everyone wanted, but USSF held true to Gulati's word.

5. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he said that in response to a question about Bradley's status. Therefore, when one says that in response to a question about said subject, everyone expects a response that was promised about said said subject.

So....he and the USSF did not hold true.

6. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

I thought that the announcement was that the team would be playing the Costa Rica & Belgium friendlies & that Bradley would be coaching the team. They didn't hold a press conference, but they did release this press release. Correct?

7. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry that you don't "recall" but you should have your facts straight if you are going to call out a lot of BS posters on it...

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/in-bob-we-trust/

a. Gulati said he'd comment on Bradley as coach by late last week
    b. Gulati did not do this

Those are the facts.

The open letter to fans about the GC final fan behavior incidents has nothing to do with it.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Personally, I think that's when the offer was made.

As I said in another thread, I am 90% confident that the "technical director" job is a ruse to keep continue the legitimate head coaching candidates while retaining the "plausible deniability" guise.

He was on about $450K ($425K?) until his qualification bonuses kicked in, after which he was at about $1.2M.

Mind you, he could have taken a bunch of jobs, if he wanted to make money.

Half of the Middle East was after him (and in a good way), as well as Inter and a bunch of Russian teams.

He refused a lot of offers that came his way.

9. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped reading that hopeful article after this

10. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bielsa is the new coach at Athletic on a one year deal. At his video conference before the election, he had in depth reports on all the players and watched and analyzed all the games the team played. That work ethic and attention to detail is what sets apart the best coaches from good ones. And that attribute would have been excellent for our program, in whatever role.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which was my point. Offering a guy 150% more than he received at his last job is not an "unrealistic" offer. A couple people here act as if the offer was some insultingly low number. It wasn't. Full stop. It becomes even less insulting when you take into account that HIS contract would have probably had performance bonuses on top of the 3 million as well.

12. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Bielsa:

A fanatic of football videos that he adds to his collection, Bielsa on occasion checks pitch measurements by pacing them out before deciding on a particular formation. He allocates separate training times for different parts of his squad. Former Argentine national team captain Roberto Ayala and defender under Bielsa stated Sometimes we wouldn't see any of the strikers, because he'd have them training at a different time, and it was the same with the midfielders. He's an innovator, and one of the people who I've learned most from during my career.

WOW!

13. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy could have done wonders for us. His players call him an "innovator", our coach is nick named "robo-Bob"... Absolutely makes me nauseous.

14. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I think the idea is that Bielsa would be brought in and that would put some heat on Bob. If Bob doesn't improve, then Bielsa would eventually take over. Nobody would have issues if that were to play out. Obviously, the Fed thinks that they don't have enough to fire Bob outright.

15. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Failure to win the GC final, failure to beat your arch rival on home soil, being humiliated on home by your arch rival twice in a final, losing to Panama in group play, not winning the CC final, etc.

What more do they need to fire this guy, seriously if this was Argentina, Brasil, or any other fed/A he would have been gone after the world cup.

What is it going to take? Not qualifying for the WC? Seriously what is going to take for them to get off there butts and do something productive?

16. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    his players call him an "innovator"

Our fans have nicknamed our coach "robo-bob"

17. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to be fair, beating Brazil in the CC final is a tall order for anyone.

But you tend to focus on his failures, yet ignore all his success? I'm not saying he shouldnt be canned, but i am saying your argument is flawed.

18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because our fans think "innovation" is learning a move that involves a Combination of XOOXR2R3L2

19. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US could always get a legendary coach by: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.

20. cd715

cd715 Red Card

Aug 22, 2009

Bradley was quoted in the press release, while discussing the games against Costa Rica and Belgium.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...Face-Costa-Rica-and-Belgium-in-September.aspx

“The matches against Costa Rica and Belgium represent another great opportunity to continue the building process as we move towards the start of 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying,” said U.S. head coach Bob Bradley. “We will have the chance to look at a variety of players and at the same time challenge ourselves against two very different opponents.”

21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See that's the problem. They're over thinking it by a mile. A simple timely 'juke stick' to the left would cure everything.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Eh, you don't pay your technical director four times more than your head coach.

The reverse is generally the case.

I stand by my previous comments - the "technical director" was a ruse.

PS. This doesn't mean that Bielsa's duties wouldn't have been more extensive than Bradley's.

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless of course, "technical direction" is what you sorely need.

24. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in case anyone missed it:

I guess we can move on now lol

25. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis