Best story of your week - 2013

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dr. Gamera, Jan 1, 2013.

1. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    JimEWrld Yes, but I didn't feel comfortable posting that publicly.

2. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Had a great indoor game last night --- high school boys between two teams that see each other WAY WAY WAY too much. 48 minutes of high quality play with three cautions given (2 tactical fouls --- a bear hug and a hip toss --- and a high quality dissent that got me laughing as I was reaching for the caution), one good ass chewing, and a couple of quiet private words along the line of: "What were you thinking, I know you see the game better than that..." (I have known most of these players for years, and the familiarity helps)

Blue beats Red 3-1.

End of the game, two of the Red team parents come up to me and thank me ---"None of your calls surprised any of us --- we knew when the cautions were coming..."

That is rare, and nice.

uniqueconstraint and dadman repped this.
  3. mtn335

mtn335 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't dangle that and not tell us what it was!

dadman and socal lurker repped this.
  4. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Rare at U-17.
    Unheard of at U16 and below.

uniqueconstraint repped this.
  5. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Now that I'm a HS coach, I can't wait to see the reactions from the refs when I say stuff like that. Granted, I know the locals but word on the street is that SW OK does a ref swap with N Tx to avoid too much familiarity.

6. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard of it... something similar happened to me. U12 Boys. I call a penalty against Blue in the second minute, and over the course of the game probably 3 times as many fouls committed by Blue as by White. White ends up winning 2-0. Afterwards as I'm doing paperwork, a parent approaches and tells me I did a great job and it was one of the best officiated games they'd had that season. I reply, "I'm not sure the Blue team thinks so." The response? "We're with the Blue team." :cool:

J'can and dadman repped this.
  7. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fricken cold 9pm game.
    Fog rolls in before the start (actually it had been sitting heavy since about 4pm)
    Abandoned.

Excellent.

8. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    14B indoor. Very chippy, players don't want to play they just want to kick the crap out of each other, game. Before the game Green coach asked to have a player on the other team sit out(player in question was a guest player so that was allowed) because apparently the last game there was a problem with that player and one on his team. Now the red flags are going up, this game should be 40min of fun and it was. 3min in and I've given my first warning, to green. Same kid gets involved in a bit of handbags after he got fouled, yellow to both players and everything is ok. Game is chippy but no more yellows until 15min left. The game's major problem kid, also on green, gives a 2 handed shove in the back, first yellow. Claps me on his way off(ala Wayne Rooney). Show him the 2nd yellow and the red. Coach is not happy but he drops it because he had already gotten his warning. 34sec left and the green keeper gets fouled. As I call the foul he stands up and kicks the kid who fouled him. Red card for VC and the game ends because they have too few players to continue. Post game the coach accuses me of having it out for the first player I sent off because one day during pickup he apparently stole the ball from me(I'm 18 and this kid is 12-13). Gotta love supplementals for indoor.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    They're trying to get me to do some indoor, but you guys have pretty much convinced me that I don't want to.

10. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A few questions.....

If you knew this was going to be a tough game, why not show the yellow here and stamp your authority early in the game?

Why not a straight red here for VC? I'm sure YHTBT but.......

Not much you can do here...

Wow.... some coaches just amaze you don't they...

11. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Because it looked bad because it was fast but overall mostly an accident and the kid apologized pretty quickly. I felt yellow would be too harsh.

It wasn't a violent push IMO. Ball being shielded and the kid got frustrated. If the push had been into/towards a wall I would have leaned much more orange. It wasn't a violent game exactly more just lots of fouls and overall unhappiness that never got out of hand it was just always on the edge.

Yeah, I must say I haven't heard that one before.

dadman and JimEWrld repped this.
  12. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    does any one know if the games are just in chicago?

13. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Got certified 5 years ago. I gave 4 red cards total before today. Now along with the two I described a few posts up I can add a DGF red in my U17 Center. 4 in 5 years and then 3 in one day.

dadman and JimEWrld repped this.
  14. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    According to the post on iysa, it is open to nisl, cisl, young sportsmen, etc.... I would assume this means that any team in an iysa league is eligible. Based on competition level, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the vast majority of teams will be in the chicago area.

15. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completed the State Referee Clinic today. Now just 3 assessments and 10 months from 06.

Law5, refinDC, dadman and 5 others repped this.
  16. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    you know you earn your stripes when this happens. gave me goose bumps reading this and TBH I don't even like you man! :D

dadman repped this.
  17. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Member

Jan 11, 2013
    "Sir, #23 is going down like a cheerleader with daddy issues... can you do something about that"

BigManIntheMiddle and dadman repped this.
  18. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Member

Jan 11, 2013
    My bet is that you'll get an accidental caution as the ref won't know what to do with a non-belligerent coach complimenting them:)

uniqueconstraint and dadman repped this.
  19. BigManIntheMiddle

Jan 10, 2013
    Inland Empire, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12B Regional Final on Sat. Awarded Green a PK in minute 12 of the first half. Miss. Awarded green a PK again minute 35 (2nd half) for deliberatley handling the ball. My AR saw it the same. Angry Parents (of course). Goal. Angry dad states "C'mon ref. That's 2 PKs already!! You can't do that." First thing in my head is "I'm sorry, is there a PK ceiling I didn't read about in the ROC?" before I can respond I hear a lady yell "Did they pay you?!" Send off. Immediately.

Minute 48 Orange goes up 3-2. Green Coach shouts across the field "I guess you can't yell at the ref now that you're winning!"
    Orange coach responds "Tag, you're it!" I turn to the green coach, smile, give a simple single shake of the head, and close out the last 12 minutes to a 3-2 orange victory. At the end the Orange coach says "Sorry about that. I think you did great" and the Green coach tells all his kids to thank me because I did a great job and it isn't the refs fault, the other team was just better today.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  20. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost accidentally put my Futsal badge on instead of my outdoor badge tonight. Wonder if anyone would have noticed?

21. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    1st round of state cup postponed due to rain...guess I'll do some ayso games.

Chas (Psyatika) repped this.
  22. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had an identical comment from a HS player on the bench today. His coach sent him to the bus.

On another note, does your state let you deal with fans directly? TXN has gone to the "walk of shame" method and it seems to work wonders (coach goes, parent stays; better motivation since the coach will hold the parent accountable if the coach gets tossed on their behalf).

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I know an AYSO national who often wears a "U8 Referee" badge . . . when I asked he said I was the first person who had noticed . . .

24. Another NH Ref

Another NH Ref BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Southern NH
    It's ugly enough, and clashes badly enough, that I expect someone would have wondered what was wrong with your badge, if nothing else! :D

dadman repped this.
  25. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did a very lopsided U12 Girls game this morning. Not really much to call; maybe two slightly clumsy fouls. I reffed it like I normally do: getting up and down the field, staying with play, staying focused. No big deal, but afterwards a parent (don't know which team he was with) made it a point to stop by and let me know he felt I did a great job, working hard and being in good position. :thumbsup:

Always remember, it's somebody's world cup final. Treat every game that way.

kayakhorn, dadman, J'can and 4 others repped this.