Best story of your week - 2013

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dr. Gamera, Jan 1, 2013.

1. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Last plane reference, I promise!

A is where the Nashville Metros (PDL) used to play.
    B is a city owned park.

[​IMG]

2. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I'll give you shear volume for your B-1B, but I think the F-35's sound is higher pitched, because of its speed. Let's split the pot.

MrPerfectNot and dadman repped this.
  3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played a tourney once where the pitch was next door to an Indy Car race.

Now THAT was loud....

4. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The space shuttle piggy backing back to Cape Canaveral? I grew up near Sheppard AFB.

I know it's not loud, but it was very cool as a teen to watch it hop back from Cali to Fla and stop in little old Wichita Falls, TX.

SA14mars and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  5. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Only good story I have is that I might actually still ref this spring!
    Had leg surgery Aug 15, Osteotomy to realign my knee.
    Crutches for 10 weeks
    Rehad/PT scheduled until Christmas
    Last PT appointment before Christmas I straightened my own leg for the first time since August!
    December 20th, bet rear-ended coming to work, Just because 1000s of cars infront of you stop, does that mean you do too? Well not for one idiot, who plowed into me at about 40 MPH, totalled both cars (2009 Honda Civic took the beating very well I must say and his 97 Pontiact Bonneville, both completely totalled)
    Start Dec 21, major limp is back, can't bend or straighten the leg.
    PT after accident, therapists first words "what did you do?" She can't get my leg straight either (and that's saying something for a PT person to fail at moving it, she was lifting herself almost off the ground trying to push down on my knee to straighten the leg)

So why is it a good story? I went for my last follow up to the ortho surgeon, he re-x'rayd it, no damage from the accident, in fact the results, structurally to my knee are better than average. Just soft tissue, IT Band issues that PT should be able to resolve

May not be back on fields first thing after the snow is gone, but will be back this year!

Guinho, Scrabbleship, camconcay and 8 others repped this.
  6. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it had been NASCAR, that would have been really loud - of course, then you might have heard this fellow, as well:

dadman and usaref repped this.
  7. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's my great story to start 2013.
    I can't even recertify yet because our NISOA chapter has decided not to pay us since October for some reason, and those were the only games I did from Oct-Nov. So I'm a dirt poor college student that can't even do his only job this year. Great way to start 2013. I'm beyond pissed if you couldn't tell.

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might have been, I'm not a turn left guy. :)

Homestead Speedway, which is that??

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I stopped a match for a sunset once ...

dadman and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  10. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A B-2 is a Stealth Bomber. I doubt very seriously you could actually see it. ;)

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    They perfected the cloaking device? I missed that ...

12. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    The 'stealth' part means that it is invisible (or close to it) to radar, but not the human eye.

Scientists are actually working on creating invisibility, the 'cloaking device.' While the technology is pretty amazing, it isn't ready for any real world use yet. Well, not that you can see. :cool: I think it should be reserved, in soccer, for referees but not for players. I believe that they are not that many years away from electronic displays so thin that they can be woven as part of fabric. That would mean, for example, that teams could change their shirt colors, player numbers, logos, player names on the shirts, etc. on the spot. And referees would only need one shirt. They could just change it to any color they wanted, on the spot. No fuschia, though. :D

13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    ...and still no green at Georgia HS games.

14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As mentioned the stealth refers to invisible to radar. It was designed to be able to fly at high altitudes and not be seen on radar. This was important so it could fly deep into Soviet territory and drop nuclear weapons and then fly out undetected. Thankfully the Soviet Union collapsed before they were operational and they were not needed for that purpose.

15. usaref

usaref Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing that ;) is there because when I read this on my phone's email app that ;) was not visible and you were about to be a recipient of this meme:
    [​IMG]

meyers repped this.
  16. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    I think you can. The exact steps are 1) blow the whistle, and then 2) restart with a dropped ball.

jayhonk repped this.
  17. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay sure. I can also referee while bouncing on a pogo stick but that doesn't make it the correct thing to do. In the absence of local modifications or a solution mutually agreed upon before the match, the ceiling is in play.

18. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Native of TN, born in AR, of course I'm familiar with NASCAR! Bumpin's racin', boys! Boogity, boogity, boogity and all that.

Someone asked, Homestead is in FL - Miami area.

That guy sounded a lot like this guy. Shake n' Bake!

MrPerfectNot and dadman repped this.
  19. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I've never had this problem, because i remember that both kicks offs are always in the same direction, so i have the same starting position.

20. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Can't edit...sorry to go off topic.

And now back to your regularly scheduled aircraft and NASCAR thread.

dadman repped this.
  21. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Member

Jan 11, 2013
    I, like many of you, use multiple assignors. Each of my assignors has their own personality, preferences and organizational abilities. My primary Spring assignor has been slowly migrating to Arbiter over the past two years, so now 10% of his games are scheduled a month or more out (usually top Men's League or games that he knows need a top crew because otherwise they are guaranteed to go to shit instead of only possibly going downhill), 80% are scheduled 2 weeks out, and 10% are scheduled on Thursday or Friday night for an 8:00AM Saturday kick-off. Three years agos, 80% of the games were Thursday evening assignments. I get about 70% of my spring work from Assignor 1.

Assignor 2 is the polar opposite for the 10% of my schedule I get from her. I just received a request for availability from February 23 (start of Region 1 play/scrimmages for Region 1 play) to July 1st --- and please indicate what blocks you need in 15 minute increments....

She'll get that schedule out on Feb 2nd for the entire spring...
    Just makes me shake my head

22. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Dave, when this happens, it's usually not the assignor's fault. Some leagues are pretty bad about doing their game schedule. That may reflect a lazy volunteer doing the schedule, a slow process of getting field use approved and/or the league trying to accomodate teams that pop up at the last minute to say, "Oh, we can't play Saturday at 3. How about Sunday at 2?" The second assignor may just be working for a more organized league.

23. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I almost didn't use the ;), because I thought the statement was so obvious. :rolleyes:

dadman repped this.
  24. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took over as Referee Coordinator for 1 of the 3 cities of our local league last fall.

Director of Referees stepped down and I was appointed on Tuesday to take over as Director for 2013. Now in charge of around 200 referees working approximately 1,500 Fall matches, 800 Spring matches and two summer tournaments in a 3-city youth league.

Law5, QuietCoach, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  25. FLRef

FLRef Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team A was up a goal on Team B during the 2nd half of a boys' HS game. Team A's coach took issue with the length of my steps to measure 10 yards for his team's free kick outside of the 18. The player proceeded to put it in the net on the kick. I wonder if he would've had that same angle if the defenders were 2.5 yards further back as the coach claimed they needed to be...