Best story of your week - 2012

Discussion in 'Referee' started by nsa, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Last night NFHS regional final between 2 teams that have had a "history".
    I received pre-game warnings from the AD and from another ref to "be on my toes." ;)

The game was played with a wonderful spirit. Not even one YC.

The visitors scored a nice header with 1 min left to complete a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over the previously un-beaten hosts.

I had a blast.

1 person likes this.
  2. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank Heaven for the demise of the soft red!

Even though we don't play HS until the Fall, I'm already calibrating my laser level and tape measure to detect those shinguards that aren't NOCSAE. :D Ok, just kidding...couldn't even keep a straight face typing that one.

3. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    The death of the soft red is cause for rejoicing. If Law is unchanged, the gestapo rules about bumble bee socks, tape color and coach cautions are all still in effect?

4. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last weekend I ran the fitness test, scored a 94 on my exam, and did my clinic hours for my 07 recert. This weekend I ran the fitness test again, and will take the state exam tomorrow at our upgrade clinic. Ready to finish tomorrow and start trying to get my 06 upgrade assessments!

3 people repped this.
  5. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Planning to upgrade to 7 this year, so I ran the fitness test yesterday. Went 2850m in 12 minutes, ran the 50-meter dash in 6.69s, and the 200-meter dash in 29.30s. Though I have been officiating some HS basketball and refereeing some youth futsal, my long-distance fitness is hardly at the top of its game right now, so I'm very pleased with myself.

2 people repped this.
  6. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just passed my first state exam with a 96 thanks to this website!

7. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    I had an absolutely fantastic time teaching a grade 9 class yesterday. Actually my first time teaching a 9 course, normally do adult grade 8, intermediate clinics and instruction at tournaments, etc. Was a truly great experience to teach a room full eager young(only 3 adults in class) men and women. The questions from these kids were amazing. They really wanted to learn.

And to top it off. 20 out of 20 passed. Half of the scores were in the 90's, only 1 below 80(78).

:D:D

8. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a nice email from one of my assignors this weekend, and at his invitation will be joining a group of referees that travel as a crew to some Spring tournaments in nearby states (OH, KY).

A varied mix - former National, some States, other experienced former and current 7's, a few young rising stars...and me.

Win-win for us - I get to referee great matches on the weekends with great referees, so a fantastic learning experience. And the wife gets some time away from me. :D

9. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Taught a Grade 8 Entry Level class this weekend.

20/21 passed. Failure was a 74.

So close, both me and her!

10. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worked 12 games this weekend.

Friday I get a call from the assignor saying "someone messed up" cancelling a JV game. I say I have to get down stairs to change and I can be there in 10 minutes. I get there and run my first SOLO ever. Good stuff. Then ran line on the varsity that ended 3-1 to the visitors.

Saturday I had 2 JV tourney games as duals. We find out 5 minutes before kickoff that these are the semi games of the tourney. :) We talk to both coaches and agree to go directly to the shootout if tied at the end of reg. Didn't need it in either game. My partner and I gave out 9 cards over both games. He 6, me 3. 2 of mine were for dissent and one was a very hard challenge that wasn't needed. Other guy should have gone red at least twice. Sloppy, dirty games from 3 of the teams. Almost had to clear the stands in the second game with 1:30 to go with the team's fans that are losing 7-0 not liking that we won't let their kids play dirty...

8 games in a local youth tourney. Ran 3 centers and only had one 'issue' and that was a clear no-call on a challenge in the box as I was the AR that kept the flag down. Only one card given (not by me) over those 8 games and that center tried everything he could to not give that card. Saw some really good soccer and sportsmanship. Did see some bad as well, but the good far out-weighed the bad for a change.

11. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I have had this discussion on these boards before and I only ask again so that we all get better. Below is cut and pasted from a previous post:

Saturday I had 2 JV tourney games as duals. We find out 5 minutes before kickoff that these are the semi games of the tourney. We talk to both coaches and agree to go directly to the shootout if tied at the end of reg. Didn't need it in either game. My partner and I gave out 9 cards over both games. He 6, me 3. 2 of mine were for dissent and one was a very hard challenge that wasn't needed. Other guy should have gone red at least twice. Sloppy, dirty games from 3 of the teams. Almost had to clear the stands in the second game with 1:30 to go with the team's fans that are losing 7-0 not liking that we won't let their kids play dirty...

9 yellows? In 2 games? If you had it to do all over again, what would you try to do different. I'm not saying the 9 cards weren't warranted but you then went to a different site and did 8 games with one card.

12. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the 9 cards, I'm not sure what else we could have done differently. This was boys JV under NFHS rules.

The other 8 were USSF and U10 - U14 B/G classic league (competitive teams).

I think that's the main difference. Different rules and different skill level / playing environment. Plus the difference in coaching.

My partner in the dual and I talked at each break about every card / foul and what we would do differently and how we should proceed moving forward.

Having a player yell to the stands "hey why don't you shut the F up", "ref thats a b-s call" (saying the words, not the initials). Hard fouls not going for the ball, etc. Cards are a tool and should be used as such after talking and explanations have been given. It's the last resort most of the time when players just won't change their behavior.

13. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    May I politely suggest that this is probably four or five games too many?

A couple each on Friday and Saturday, I can see, but EIGHT on Sunday?!

That is insane.

You can't possibly have been at your best after the third game and I can't begin to imagine the physical and mental fatigue you were experiencing at the end of the day.

14. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 games friday evening

6 on sat (all 30 minute halves and broken up between morning and evening)

4 on sunday morning

all games with the exception of 1 80 minute match on Friday evening were 25 or 30 minute halves.

Might have been 1 -2 games too many, but physically I felt fine. Mentally, well I've always been nuts. :p

Seriously though if I feel like I can't call a good game either way from a CR or AR perspective, I'll go tell the tourney coordinator or the assignor that I'm not fit to do it. The game deserves better if that is the case. The kids also deserve the best.

15. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    You should be. Always fun to be able to outrun the players!

16. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indoor tournament with 11 games over the weekend. Saturday, as I entered the field for my 2nd set of 3 games, I had one of the Over 40 teams that I had earlier in the day. As the player ran by me, he patted me on the back and said, "Oh no. Not these guys again." :eek: I immediately put my fingers to my temples and said, "Oh no. Was I thinking out loud?" We both had a good laugh. :p

1 person likes this.
  17. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Doing indoor REC boys u14, very low level, the ball rolls slowly into the goal went over the line by about 3 balls lengh when a defender came and kicked it out. I blew the whistle for the goal and nobody complained except the coach saying: 'but it didn't touch the net"! :eek: I didn't even bother to reply.

1 person likes this.
  18. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At Training last week we had some surprise visitors....

http://www.bcsoccer.net/RotateNewsA...-through-their-paces-by-FIFA-instructors.aspx

Rodolfo Sibrian led the classroom session, and talked for a bit over an hour on Law 12, bringing elements such as positioning, physical/mental fitness, etc. After we had some time to chat with the officials. It was a fantastic experience to learn from some of the top instructors in the region. I also attended three doubleheaders during the tournament, and thanks to a joint BC Soccer/Referees area, got to meet some more of the officials working the tournament and CSA RC members. All in all a great week.

1 person likes this.
  19. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    HS Girls regional final last night. 2.5 hr drive each way.
    But loads of fun. :D

The players were literally twitching with excitement at the beginning of the game. One team had a coach who had "been there before". He tried to influence the play on the field by getting into the heads of the kids on the other team. After his third comment (7 min in?), my AR carded him (NFHS), and the game was back in the hands of the kids. No other issues.

9 goals in the game (6-3). The best was by a midfielder who, while running, chested a flighted pass into little space, then vollied a rocket (never hit the ground) 35 yards into the top corner. She literally broke out in tears of joy. I'm gonna guess the little voice inside her head was saying: "Yep, you really are that damn good!" What a memory!

20. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    I used to like you, but now I just hate you for all fun you are having while the rest of endure the game-less desert of winter in the north.

21. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It sure feels like spring around here the last few days.

22. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Wait, ARs have that authority in NFHS? I mean, it sounds completely appropriate in this scenario, but if it's true that ARs can do that, why didn't I know this? :confused:

23. grasskamper

grasskamper Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Men's game.....same forward gets called for what is probably his 6th offside call in the contest. Blows his top. Screams out to AR that he needs to keep up with play and run faster. "Am I just too fast for you?" Reply from the AR: "Actually I think I am just fine with my speed since I only need to keep up with the second to last defender. I suggest you do likewise" His teammates got on him like white on rice for the blatant offside position AND for the dissent. He shut up for balance of the game.

1 person likes this.
  24. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    IT'S FLORIDA! :D
    Not only do we have 70 degree temps for 7 pm start times on 1/31, but we also use the "Double Dual" (3-whistles) system for NFHS.
    So, to be precise, I should have said that SR1 (Side Referee) carded him, cuz all 3 of us are "Referees."

25. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Ah. Got it.