Best story of your week - 2012

Discussion in 'Referee' started by nsa, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zlevin

zlevin Member

Jul 13, 2009
    SFCA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Northeast Futsal Regionals start Saturday with FIFA Futsal referees Shane Butler and Jason Krnac attending. There should be a lot of good games and a lot of good refereeing. The tournament will conclude with semis and finals on Monday.

<shameless plug>

I'll be tweeting as often as I can from the tournament. You can follow me @MassFutsalRef.

</shameless plug>

2. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did a 4 duals yesterday in a local high school tournament. Might have been better off doing singles. The other guy was 40-50 lbs overweight and couldn't (wouldn't?) blow the whistle to save his life. Made for a long day, but I got some great fitness in and made the best of it.

The 2nd game was a boys JV side playing a Varsity team. 1-1 final and 2 yellows to the Varsity team for USB. Game was very fast-paced and physical. It was one of the top games I've ever officiated.

Unfortunately, the next game was a 0-0 snoozer. Called offside about 10 time and don't think I (or the other guy) called a single foul. However, I had to give a yellow after an offside call because the sweeper on the OTHER team decided to mouth about the call. Made her run 50 yards to show the yellow. No protest.

Fourth game was a 2-1 game where the team that scored 2 should have won by 5. They were a new school and only had Freshmen and Sophomores against a full Varsity team. They just ran out of gas, yet were by far more skilled on the ball.

First game was a 2-2 girls varsity game and was a nice start to the day.

3. ATLref

ATLref New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    High school recert clinic today. Got to run the fitness test in 28-degree weather (hey, I'm from the South ... that's cold here). First time it's actually been a pass/fail with some sort of consequences attached. Classes the rest of the day. We must not be getting along with coaches here because the only two non-procedural/administrative modules were both devoted to dealing with coaches.

4. AspireNatlRef

AspireNatlRef Member

Jul 13, 2007
    New Orleans
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a High School fitness test in GA? What is it, cause we need it do it here in LA....

-ANR

5. ATLref

ATLref New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    It's the same format as the R7 fitness test but with slightly lower bars to pass (12 min. - 1800 m; 200 m - 50 s; 50 m - 9.5 s). Theoretically, you had to pass to be assigned to center any matches in a 3-man system this season.

6. ATLref

ATLref New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Realized I wasn't entirely clear earlier. It's not a statewide test. It's just our association.

7. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    attended an excellent state clinic with Chris Penso yesterday. very sharp and charismatic guy, humble and industrious. several of the video examples were controversial calls that he made.

he let us do the offside test a couple of times. i didn't pass either time (12/20, 14/20). :)

8. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    U19B. Decent skill, but nothing special. Fun game. With 15 min left, white 1, blue 0, each team has a couple of yellows, but nothing terribly serious.

There is a tangle of players contesting for the ball around the top of white's PA. Blue attacker pops out with the ball, behind everyone, and headed to goal. His first touch is a little heavy.

Keeper, moving from right to left, pounces with an out-field player's slide tackle. His lower foot clearly plays and clears the ball first. His upper leg then comes through and cleans out the attacker. Contact is shinguard to shinguard. (If I've described it correctly, you see a tackle that is ball-first, but still a "reckless" foul if committed at midfield. Anyway, that's what I concluded. Honest.)

Since the keeper successfully completed the clearance first, but was guilty of a foul and misconduct, I decided no DOGSO...YC + PK.

The participants seemed to accept the decision (Half saying "All ball, no foul" and half saying "Red card! Last defender!". Both giving up quickly after the yellow came out.) PK is converted. Game ends 1-1 with good spirit.

So, can I bend DOGSO that far?

P.S. After the game, my 2 ARs (both college players, but relatively new to refereeing) split. One wanted a red; the other, no foul.

P.P.S. Later in the day, the keeper that got the card is my AR for a U19G game!!!! Great kid.

9. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    If you thought that quickly then that was brilliant refereeing. From your description the heavy touch enabled the easy clearance and so there was no obvious goal scoring opportunity present. The foul happened later in time. You didn't need to bend anything; don't even let the five-letter acronym into the discussion.

10. MOREFFIN

MOREFFIN Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one of my favorites. Along with "R E F E R E E E E....you CAN'T bring that back, you just said "Play On" :D

11. MOREFFIN

MOREFFIN Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1! Reminds one why we are really out there...

12. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    HS district semi-finals last night.
    First game starts at 5 pm. 2 OT, 2-2 draw. Decided in the 10th pk.
    Second game, 2 OT, 0-0 draw. Decided in the 4th pk.
    Got off the field at 9:50.
    Had a blast.

13. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Envious! Just had a meeting Monday night on HS points of emphasis and meeting of crew chiefs. Only 10 more weeks until we get outside for some real soccer! :(

14. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Erm, wrong sport?

15. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read this post, then looked outside...yep, 30 degrees out, snow on the ground and more falling. No soccer today. :(

16. 2wheels

2wheels Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Happened to land at the summer site of FFA (Football Federation Australia) and came across the following on their referee training programme certificate, that has among others, such gems as,

You have to think for yourself on the field.
    This program also expects you to think!
    What caught me attention was the following:

Care to join us?
    We're starting up an amateur football team. Would you care to join?'
    'I would, yes, but I'm afraid I don't know, the first thing about football.'
    'That's all right. We need a referee as well.
    It is drizzling incessantly, and sometimes the white stuff comes down in buckets. Let the season begin, enough of armchair officiating! Until then, have a look-see for more time-pass here - http://bit.ly/z1iWtC.

17. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    HS Clinic today. Mark Kadlecik gave an excellent presentation. He is from our area and I found out went to the same college I did!

18. Referee_Irl

Referee_Irl Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Ireland
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Satuday:
    1) Under 12s 9 aside Solo - easy match as expected.
    2) Under 18's Div Solo - Match finished 3-1 to the home team Away team just didn't have a good day on the pitch. Game was easy to handle as both teams wanted to play football. Had one Caution for a reckless challenge but the foul count was well under a dozen with most of them going against and for the center half and the big clumsy striker. Turns out I was assessed on tis game by our local assessor, didn't see him on the sidelines for the whole match or at half time and came as a surprise to see him coming towards my changing rooms at the end of the match. All good thing he had to say with little or no criticism and plenty of good points picked out. Much improved on the last assessment he carried out on me.

Sunday: Div 3 Mens solo
    Someone must have been talking about me as another assessor turned up to have a look at me. He only stayed for the first half but we had a chat at half time and he was happy with everything, just pointed out a few positioning points on corners and free kicks, not all of which I agreed with but if thats what their looking for thats what they'll get. Match was a harder fought match with hard challenges going in. i wasn't overly happy with my first half performance and was kicking myself when I knew I had been watched. I felt my foul recognition was a bit off par and my offsides could have been called better. Match finished 3-1 to the home team with no cautions.

19. zlevin

zlevin Member

Jul 13, 2009
    SFCA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The weekend of Jan 14-16 was the Northeast Regional Futsal Championship. Teams from all over New England and beyond were competing for spots at the National tournament next month. I had the opportunity to referee with both FIFA Futsal referees from the US, Jason Krnac and Shane Butler. They gave a lot of good feedback to the referees and were great to watch.

This year, there was no Men's division (not enough teams registered). The highest age groups were U18 for Girls and U16 for Boys. I had the honor of officiating the GU18 Final with Krnac, as well as the BU15 and BU14 finals. Only a handful of coaches were dismissed, one by me...

Overall, the tournament ran very smoothly and there was a LOT of excellent Futsal. I was impressed by the skill of the players from U10 up through U18, and I can't wait to see what the play is like in Kansas next month!

1 person likes this.
  20. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Hey guys! Havent posted in awhile but wanted to get your opinions on an issue

I had a U11 game this weekend where I was the center, and the game got very intense. I had to kick out the coaches, and the parents and players were very reckless as well. A couple of minutes after I blow the final whistle and Im filling out the paper work on the bench, I noticed that there was an argument going on between parents on the other side, and they looked and sounded like they wanted to fight. Other more rational parents got in the middle and stopped the issue from escalating. But had the fight hapenned, am I supossed to do anything in that situation? My initial instinct was that other than maybe calling the cops if it got really bad, I shouldn't get in the middle to try to separate them, but I want to hear your opinion.

And what about if the fight between the parents happens during the game?

Also, I got assesed by a national referee this weekend and I did pretty well.

21. GTReferee

GTReferee Member

Feb 24, 2011
    64th min. of a 2-0 game and the best player on the field scores the first goal of his team to make it 2-1. He celebrates by removing his jersey and spinning it over his head. Unfortunately for him he was already on a caution for a reckless tackle earlier in the match. As I showed him the red card I told him, " Damn it I can't believe you're making me red card the best player in this game." All he could say was "My bad ref. My legs tend to be smarter than my brain when I'm playing." All I could do was laugh as did he :D. Too bad that basically killed what could have been a close game; it finished
    4-1.

22. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    First thing, this combination makes no sense to me: U11, intense, kick out coaches, parents very reckles. combined with "national referee" assessement, did pretty well. Seems strange combination.

As for parents fight. You have no authority or control over them. Sit on your bench filling out paperwork, and watch. DO NOT get involved.

1 person likes this.
  23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I know we have been around this before, but a couple of the last few posts have me a bit perplexed. Both of them referenced dismissing coaches....

What is going on here? It's futsal in the middle of January and it's warm in Florida?

I always ask the same question when I hear stories. Could we as referees done anything to prevent all of this from happening? What would you change if you had it to do all over again?

24. Cho Da

Cho Da Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I was at the futsal regionals as well, and the coach in the BU12 finals was dismissed less than ten minutes into the match. His team was already up by 2 and did eventually win. My understanding was that he dissented a foul (obvious two-handed push by his attacker), and after being warned that dissent would not be tolerated, he then went on to call the referee a cheat. :rolleyes:

25. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Well, that would get you thrown out just about everywhere.