Best story of your week - 2012

Discussion in 'Referee' started by nsa, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New thread recognizing that we are not restricted to weekends for the simple game. :)

old thread here

No soccer thus far - just friends, family, and best wishes for loved ones past and present.

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good work. Old thread closed.

I'm tired of Winter already. Can't wait for April. :eek:

3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Looking forward to second weekend in March....

4. AlsoRan

AlsoRan Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Looking forward to Tuesday. :)

5. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went out with some friends to check out a few bars in Dallas. We ran into Brek Shea. Really cool experience.

6. SparkeyG

SparkeyG Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Mokena, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I reffed at an indoor tourney last night. About the only positive take away from the experience is that I was able to use my new electronic whistle. It really allowed be to quickly 'blow' the whistle. I didn't need to move my arm to my face or any other motion denoting that I may stop play.

On the downside are idiots that take a friendly tourney seriously and wish to use aggression to make up for skill deficiencies.

7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Hmmm. I don't do indoor, so perhaps it is more basketball-esque in terms of whistle timing. But I've always thought having to move the hand to blow the whistle provides a nice built-in delay that helps prevent those too-quick whistles.

dadman repped this.
  8. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I reffed the same tournament. It was my first time blowing my whistle in anger. Adult indoor is a pretty good assignment for someone who's not even certified yet. :p

The final was decided in penalties, which was fun. Unfortunately for me, Sparky got the assignment

dadman repped this.
  9. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Last night, Varsity girls NFHS to decide first place in the district going in to playoffs. Fun game. Visitors leading 1-0 in the second half. The home team is entering the attacking third down the wing in front of a group of dads.

The girl with the ball is a very physical player and has played through fouls all night. She is fouled here, but tries to get around the corner. I give her as much rope as I can, cuz if she makes it, she will be in. Finally, I blow for the foul and bring the ball back. All the kids understand perfectly. Not a peep.

From the dads: "Oh my GAAAWWWD! How long are you gonna WAIT!!! You can't bring it back after 2 or 3 seconds like that!!!"

Direct quote. ;)

10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jealous! 2 1/2 months until my next game. Can't wait for Spring, even though we really haven't had any bad weather yet.

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Mighta been right . . . back when the dads played . . .

dadman repped this.
  12. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    Sometimes I think that I am a good referee because stuff like this bothers the living **** out of me, and sometimes I think I am a crappy referee for the same reason.

dadman repped this.
  13. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    ODP tournament. Coupla interesting things happened.

1. Right before the first games of the day, a small airplane flew really low over the fields. Couldn't have been more than one person in the plane. Would have been perfect as a "fly-over" if they had played the national anthem.

2. Had to run a reverse diagonal in my first game (I was AR) since the touchline was extremely muddy. I could never keep the flag in the proper hand.

Overall, it was great to be on the pitch again, if only for a day. I'm off for another couple of weeks.

14. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    65 degrees in NJ today. I was outside wishing there was a game to do!

15. Referee_Irl

Referee_Irl Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Ireland
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    3 games this week.

U-15 development squad game during the week on an all weather pitch.
    AR2 on the U-19 FAI National League (Saturday)
    And solo on a Div3 mens match today (Sunday)

Best story had to be as AR2 with the referee getting a wallop of the ball in the face with about 5 minutes to go had all 3 of us in stitches till the end of the game and after.

16. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Did my first games of the year about 3 months before I had planned. Two sons are home from college and at 7:00 AM Saturday one of them woke up to go ref and was very sick, so he dragged me out of a warm bed to cover for him.

Was fun, haven't done U-Littles in a whlie and had a blast. Two U8 Rec and one U10 rec. Highlights, or "things I just don't see doing adult games":

- Chatting with a little girl in the center circle waiting for the other team. She keeps playing with her mouth, I ask her what's up:
    Her: "I am trying to get my tooth out"
    Me: "Is it loose?"
    Her: "It is now!"
    Me: "why do you want to pull it out?"
    Her: "So I can get a dollar from the tooth fairy"
    Me: "huh. Are you any good at soccer?"
    Her: "Ya, I like scoring goals"
    Me: "Wow, so you're good! How long have you been playing?"
    Her: "9 years"
    Me: "Wow, how old are you?"
    Her: "8" :p

- One game after goalie is getting shelled, the poor little kid comes walking over to me: "I"m not really comfortable playing goalie any more". He had this horrified look on his face.

- Stop the game for a crying kid. All other players go down on one knee or sit down. Get the little guy over to his coach, and head down the field to get hte ball for the dropped ball:
    Me: "Why you guys all sitting down?"
    them: "he was hurt, can we get up now?"
    Me: Sure, lets play some soccer!
    I walk over to the goalie and pick up the ball:
    Me: "You know what happens now?"
    Him: with a completely horrified look on his face: "Penalty kick?"
    Me: "Nope, I am going to drop the ball, you can pick it up and we will all start playing soccer again, ok? "
    Him: relieved look on his face: "Ok"

Made getting up early worth it to be out there with little kids just having fun running around chasing a ball!

voiceoflg and dadman repped this.
  17. todler

todler New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    NN, VA
    First game in 3 months after shoulder surgery. Had AR1 men's Div 2 game. It was 65 and sunny, and the match wasn't overly difficult, and only a couple of sprints that got to me. Offside was an easy one to recognise still, foul recognition and player management were where I wanted them to be and in tune with the CR. Only down side is my shoulder has been sore for the last 2 days as my arm isn't used to that much work. All in all, a good weekend of footy and i'm not as far back in my recovery process as I had thought I might be.

dadman repped this.
  18. ref2coach

ref2coach Member

May 27, 2004
    TN, USA
    Totally reconstructed shoulder 3 years ago. Have you discussed/shown your physical therapist the exact shoulder movement and speed of movements required to signal as both a CR & AR? My PT person adapted some exercises to deal with the range of motion and speed of motion required to signal effectively.

19. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    In San Diego for Region IV SRA meetings. Ran along the waterfront in the morning. Other than that, inside all day. Talking about refereeing isn't as much fun as actually refereeing.

20. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a severely deteriorated shoulder joint. It's the one where the collarbone meets the scapula. Maybe the CV joint and the tie rod end.

Anyhow... there were times when the best I could do is raise the flag to shoulder height and then reach across with my left hand and lift my elbow to get it up the rest of the way.

21. todler

todler New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    NN, VA
    No I'm doing my own PT now. The surgeon said I was cleared for it and to ensure I dont over do it. Ive got the movement and strength. I think the stiffness was more from lack of performing them. But now I'm thinking of what I can do to prep for it and make sure I don't damage it again. Lots of low weight reps i think.

1 person likes this.
  22. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't turn this into an early-season overuse injury - don't forget to ice it and rest it....the low weight reps make sense but not too many. Truly, you should talk to your PT again, even if you're doing your stuff on your own. Get someone who knows you and has worked with you to give you some guidance.

(No, I am not a doctor, though I played one often as a small child. I do, however, work with over 45 orthopaedic surgeons - and they would each say - don't overuse this as you recover.)

23. grasskamper

grasskamper Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Klinger, are you a nurse in that uniform, high heels and hairy legs?;)

2 people repped this.
  24. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything to get back to Toledo and out of this lousy police action.

1 person likes this.
  25. todler

todler New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    NN, VA
    Thanks Klinger :p

And yeah, I've been icing it and resting it since the game. much better now, and feeling fine. and really other than the low weight reps and the occasional match it's not seeing a lot of work. I do baby it too much for my liking, but it's the smart thing in the long run.

Plus I got friends on my backside making sure I don't over do it and am careful. I know to many people in a medical field. LOL