Best Story of the week - 2014

Discussion in 'Referee' started by camconcay, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Sign him up!

dadman repped this.
  2. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we disagree then. Everything you said seems okay with me. I might have not explained myself well if it seemed like I thought what you exemplified is wrong.

dadman repped this.
  3. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Passed my first assessment for upgrade to 6 today.

socal lurker, mtn335, camconcay and 18 others repped this.
  4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    ...and now I'm trying to decide which experience seemed more like it was never going to end - those two games in the cold rain Friday night, or going to Target with my wife and two grown daughters last night. :sleep:

dadman and uniqueconstraint repped this.
  5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having two grown daughters and a wife, I can't imagine enduring the second experience. I'd rather stay home and change dirty diapers!

dadman repped this.
  6. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Did 12 matches in a tournament Friday and Saturday. I had a good group of guys to work with, and the weather went from cold to warm and back to cold both days.

My highlite was a a u16G match that was 4-1 in favor white over green. Green is getting frustrated late, and I start calling everything to take the edge off.

Green midfielder knocks a white player off her feet and I immediately call the foul at midfield even though white retained possession. Green fouler looks up at me to ask "why didn't you play advantage". I have never had the fouler complain about stopping play before. Maybe she thought it isn't really a foul unless you stop play?

Winning coach thanked me for keeping lid on the game as he understood my strategy of slowing down a match that was already over. I got out of it with one late yellow for dissent (player refused to come back to talk to me when I called her over, and just continued to turn her back!!!).

Losing coach was upset that I showed up his player with the yellow and (part of my strategy) a rather public talking to. I wanted to make sure the rest of the players knew there was to be no more crap during the remaining minutes.

dadman, uniqueconstraint and IASocFan repped this.
  7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I've had that happen two or three times at least ... "You can't call that! He had the advantage!" :rolleyes:

8. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    So he feels you're wrong "showing up" his player, but she's ok showing up you? Hmmmmm

9. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I also said that if she goes on to be either a higher level player or HS player, you could run into a referee who will not be as lenient as me, and send her off.

dadman repped this.
  10. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I've had the similar one of the kicking team taking a quick free kick and the defending team complaining that the attackers didn't get ten yards.

dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  11. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Two different games with two different teams from the same club this weekend. I've never seen such a coordinated display of hand-raising by a team. Every ball in/out of play, every possible handling, every possible foul. I'd say 8 of the 11 players at any given moment would raise their hand in unison appealing for the call. Even the keeper on the opposite side of the field got in on it once. The parents behind me (I was an AR) we're laughing everytime it happened. Obviously a coached tactic in this club. Also, these were u13 and u14 girls!

12. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the kicker taking the PK before the whistle. After the keeper saved the kick, the kicker complained that I hadn't blown the whistle.

dadman repped this.
  13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    But that one is a problem, is it not? Isn't that a caution and retake?

14. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Caution is optional, retake is required.

15. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just thought it was funny that he was the one pointing it out. I'm sure if the ball had gone in the net, he would have been vewy vewy quiet.

16. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If I order the retake there after he asked for the retake because I feel obliged to, I'm definitely cautioning the kicker. The kicker being aware of the rule shows he may have been trying to game the referee by pointing out the improper restart in the event of a save.

17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'm with you on the definite caution in that situation - but under what circumstances would you not order a retake?

18. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Forgetting the rule/brain cramp.

I'm not sure I would have even considered the caution before this thread.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  19. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Would anyone do anything about this?

20. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #595 Bubba Atlanta, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    I was wondering the same thing. With it being as exaggerated and egregious as described, I know I would be at least tempted to announce "The next hand I see in the air asking for a call will receive a caution." Tempted, mind you ...

If raising a hand asking for a card is dissent (as I recall we've at some point been instructed is the case), couldn't a plague of hand-waving for calls in general be sanctioned similarly?

I wouldn't hesitate to at least ask them to knock it off though if it was as aggravating as it sounds. I've certainly done that many times when I'm getting a little too much help from the bench.

"How about you guys play the game and I'll referee."

21. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The referee did not say or do anything about it. At least to the players' credit, as soon as the signal went one way or the other, the arms went back down and they got back on with playing. Only once or twice was there any mild verbal dissent (and it was one quick statement from the captain and then back to playing). I was definitely wondering myself after the game if I'd have done anything about it if I were in the middle. Ultimately I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't in this specific scenario, as it was not causing any problems. I might joke about it to point out the absurdity of appealing every call like that. Now, in another game, the story might be different. If the coaches and/or the opposing team were getting visibly or audibly frustrated with this tactic and it was increasing match temperature, I'd likely have to deal with it in some way to keep things controlled.

dadman repped this.
  22. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    And then you award an indirect free kick.....

23. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Upon issuing the threat or upon following through on the threat with a caution at the next occurrence? As far as I know it's the latter.

24. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    You could do the former based on the "I can be just as aggravating as you guys can" justification. (That's in Law 19.) ;)

25. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I ask because the ATR allows the ref to stop play for a cautionable offense, issue a verbal warning, not issue the caution and restart with a drop ball.* I was wondering if IDK was also an option, but I didn't think it was.

* I did this once in a U9 game of all places for a striker who didn't want to let the keeper release the ball.