Best stadiums for the USMNT to play at?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by soccersubjectively, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras is tricky. They'll travel anywhere, as evidenced by 45,000 showing up in Chicago with only a local Honduran population of 5,000. I would also propose this:

Mar 22 Mile High, Denver v. Costa Rica -- we play Mexico right after this, altitude training, and direct flights to Mexico City. Not sure how confident USSF is in Denver support, but it was a full, pro-American house at Dick's Sporting Goods Park for the women's friendly this summer.

Jun 11 RFK Stadium, Washington D.C. v. Panama -- we're coming direct from Jamaica, so the East Coast makes sense, and it should be safe to use a larger venue. Other options are Nashville or Philly.

Jun 18 Livestrong Stadium, Kansas City v. Honduras -- use one of our two "lockdown" stadiums to get a pro-American crowd. This will probably be a crucial point in the table, as well.

Sep 10 Columbus Crew Stadium v. Mexico -- the other pro-American stadium v. Mexico.

Oct 11 Home Depot Center v. Jamaica -- don't play Jamaica out East.

There's a game in each time zone, so they're geographically shared. We're almost certainly going to play a game in Columbus and a game in Kansas City, that only leaves 3 games to split up among other regions in the country. I'm sure the NW will lose out. The East Coast makes sense for the Panama game, coming back from Jamaica, but that means one of the NE or SE will lose out. L.A. makes a lot of sense for the Jamaica game for training, travel to Panama, and fan support.

EXALIFTIN repped this.
  2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    One thing that you (or USSF!) might consider is tthat a lot of Mexicans have been trying to get tickets at Columbus for this one, probably more than the last two. I'm thinking it might be a better idea to give this one this time to Kansans City, and give Columbus another key match, say against Costa Rica. (I'd agree that Columbus and its supporters have been such a fortress for us that we simply must give them a Hex match, clearly.)

3. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't get tickets until it's scheduled. It's not like we can head-fake Mexican fans. Or maybe we can... ;)

It's incumbent on USSF at all of our home games to get as many tickets into our fans' hands as they can. Pre-public sales to NT supporters groups & local MLS club supporters is one way to get a head start--that's one reason the MLS SSS work well, they only seat 20k or so, and supporters groups can buy up a large % of the tickets, leaving fewer open seats before it's sold out, and less of non-USA supporters. There's a lot more interest in USMNT this go around, so good advertising to drum up the excitement and support right before the public ticket sale is needed.

The larger venues are more problematic. Support is growing, but until we can consistently pull 40,000 fans from supporters groups in any big city, there are always going to be so many seats available that 50/50 crowds in the bigger stadiums will continue.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I hear some Mexicans are going so far as to try to get Crew ticket packages in anticipation. Which honestly I find charming. :D (Ya know, on second thought... If thousands of Mexicans really did go that far, then hell, let 'em have it.)

5. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I would say Utah before Colorado due to the better season ticket base.

I also think that would basically be the most western city represented. The south has to be represented somehow and Tennessee or Tampa are probably the best stadiums to do so.

6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, guys...it doesn't matter where we play Costa Rica. They don't travel well.

For that reason...let's have that one in Seattle. Since they're going to make us play on the plastic at Saprissa...again...well, sauce for the goose, I say.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. No games from us on turf. Our guys aren't used to it. Though you do make the best argument I've seen for a game in Seattle.

Forgive me for reprinting the schedule, it helps me organize my thoughts:
    1. 2/6: Honduras
    2. 3/22: Costa Rica. I say Rio Tinto. If not, then Denver. I'm all about altitude prep for Mexico
    3. 3/26: Mexico
    4. 6/7: jamaica
    5. 6/11: Panama. Agree that it should be East Coast. Something special about playing in the Capital. If not, then Philly or Red Bull. Foxborro also possible, but that seems like needless travel.
    6. 6/18: Honduras. KC. No-brainer. Next biggest game from Mexico.
    7. 9/6: costa Rica
    8. 9/10. Mexico. Day before 9/11, against Mexico, in Columbus. Patriotism run wild. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    9. 10/11: Jamaica. Houston. Got to show off that shiny new park. Actually, I'd prefer Houston for the Panama game, but I don't think we should play the Jamaica game out east. This ends up jobbing the West Coast folk, but the Rio Tinto game is at least in the neighborhood. Besides, I'm all for egalitarianism, but the priority should be on getting a good home crowd.

I don't know the Houston area well, and if there is a big Jamaican population, then I'm fine with LA or somewhere else (Chicago?)

I like the altitude angle the best. For me, that means

8. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    DSG Park v Costa Rica (avg low in Denver in March is 25 degrees (in CR it is 60) and high altitude acclimation for Mexico)
    Soldier Field v Panama (money grab)
    Livestrong Park v Honduras (short trip from Chicago for a game 7 days later)
    Crew Stadium v Mexico (dos a cero)
    Rio Tinto v Jamaica (average low in Salt Lake City is 40 in October (77 in Kingston))

I believe in playing in cold weather when possible. While we didn't get the Feb match, we have two spots in good locations for Costa Rica and Jamaica.

9. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Klinsmann said something to the effect yesterday on univision deportes that Cold weather will not be a factor of consideration process. The main objective and priority is a Pro-USA crowd.

10. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've made a list a few times in the past but have had them picked apart by the Big Soccer community. So this is my final one

Mexico - Columbus.

Costa Rica - Kansas City.

Honduras - Nashville. Nashville has always been a good home to us and I believe there's a huge Honduran population there (though there fans will always travel well anyway)

Jamaica - Palo Alto. It's been awhile since we've been to the bay area, It'll be cold which may hurt the Jamaicans a little bit, I don't think there's a big Jamaican population there and this stadium drew over 50,000 for the Galaxy - Earthquake match earlier this year

Panama - Salt Lake City

11. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    My projections:
    Costa Rica- Salt Lake City
    Panama- Philadelphia
    Honduras- Kansas City
    Mexico- Columbus
    Jamaica- Houston or LA

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica has a new national stadium with grass. No more Saprissa.

raza_rebel repped this.
  13. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I may be incorrect on this but I believe CR has already noted that they want to have USA at Saprissa, regardless of the new stadium.

14. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Also, this was absolutely a rumor and hasn't been confirmed but Columbus for Mexico was tossed out to negotiate a night time game (versus day time) at Azteca.

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I would be totally ok with tossing out Columbus in exchange for getting a night game at the Azteca, as long as I could schedule Mexico in Kansas City instead. (As I said earlier, I'd be tempted to host Mexico in KC and Honduras in Columbus at any rate.)

16. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to buy Crew season tickets, you have to do so by March, don't you? The home game against Mexico is in September, so the site may not be announced until June or July.

17. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica (March 22), Palo Alto.
    Panama (June 11), Hartford.
    Honduras (June 18), Columbus.
    Mexico (Sept. 10), Kansas City.
    Jamaica (Oct. 11), Home Depot Center.

I suspect that Costa Rica fans travel may just as well as Honduras, Mexico or Jamaica fans. The difference is that there simply aren't as many of them in the United States as there are of those others. Can we get a pro-US crowd if we play Costa Rica in Palo Alto? We did in 1997.

I'd favor Salt Lake City or Denver for the Costa Rica game except for the fact that I wonder whether it might be exactly what we don't need as far as acclimating to the altitude of Mexico City four days later. I've always heard that the best away to combat altitude problems is either a long acclimation period of several weeks or to to arrive at high altitude less than a day before the game, but that in between is not good.

Football stadiums, like Hartford and Palo Alto, are better for soccer in the spring and early summer than in the fall. If it were not for conflicts with Stanford football, Palo Alto might be better for Jamaica than HDC. However, I suppose that playing at stadiums that don't have a base of MLS season ticket holders who you can legally favor in ticket sales can be risky.

Throwing a curve at Mexico fans who are getting to know the ropes in Columbus seems like a good idea, but Columbus should be rewarded with another game.

18. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, just tell them, instead, that the USA National Baseball team's World Baseball Classic matches will be at Crew Stadium and they won't go, since we're trying to throw them a curve. ;)

19. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  20. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    I think all us games should be at the HDC :)

21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Definitely. You don't take away a game from arguably our best fortress. You simply give them another one. Perhaps Honduras.

22. Kale801

Kale801 Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping that a game will be played here at Rio Tinto. Jamaica would be great with the cold weather and almost non existent Jamaican fanbase. Costa Rica would be fun to watch, albeit a little weird if Saborio is called up again. Either way, we've got our fingers crossed. I'll travel if I have to - went to Nashville for the Paraguay game - but would love to show our USMNT some support right here.

23. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico and Honduras agree with you.

24. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsy is asking USSF to consider German stadiums.

25. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    A qualifier in Kaiserslautern would be kind of cool. :p