Best stadiums for the USMNT to play at?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by soccersubjectively, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Many people mention the travel issues but is it really valid to use this as a deterrent from playing on the west coast? The Hex will be played in 2013 not 1913. Travel is not that bad.
    There have been WCQs on the west coast in previous cycles and I have not heard many complaints from Euro based players. It is only a few more hours on a plane. Big deal.

RevPOWA repped this.
  2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

:D

soccersubjectively and RevPOWA repped this.
  3. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, there are no stadiums in that picture, either! :p

soccersubjectively and RevPOWA repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say there's plenty of soccer fans in the north east given the numbers the Euro friendlies attract. Larger problem for me is League 1 caliber NE and Kraft. Problem imo isn't drawing in new fans in the north east, but instead offering a better product on a regular basis.

RevPOWA repped this.
  5. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear Mexicans have a hard time playing in volcanoes.

RevPOWA repped this.
  6. kmac014

kmac014 Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem isn't the hours on the plane, it's the time zones. Although I do agree with you that the west coast should get a look

RevPOWA repped this.
  7. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico - Columbus
    Jamaica - Salt Lake
    Honduras - Atlanta
    Costa Rica - Kansas City
    Panama - Palo Alto

Chester, Hartford and Nashville should also be on our radar

8. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Georgia Dome has turf. Maybe Turner Field but I don't know if they are interested in laying down sod on the baseball diamond.

9. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the venue is not already all natural grass, just go ahead and rule it out. We're not going to lay down grass, even in part, for a World Cup qualifier.

10. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Turner field is natural but as I said, I don't think they are interested. Nor do I think the Federation is interested in playing on a baseball field.

11. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant the infield part. If a stadium has to lay down even a single square of grass, for whatever reason, we can rule those out. Baseball stadiums, any stadium with artificial turf, those stadiums are the ones people should not waste their time on speculating, because the USSF is not going to consider them at all.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Two issues:
    You say the flight isn't bad, but traveling west to east is a longer flight.

But more importantly, sending a player back to London or Hamburg or wherever, the real issues becomes the jet lag and time adjustment. You are subjecting players to an additional 2 time zone changes by putting them on the west coast. That is needless wear and tear that can be prevented.

13. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    True.
    I would say it was the main reason DC did not get a Hex match in 2005. The Nationals were playing baseball on the field that season.

blazindw repped this.
  14. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I am aware of these issues and the time zone issue. That said, I don't think those problems should deter the Federation from playing on the west coast or in Utah.
    I also don't think players care as long as there is a Pro-USA crowd and they win the match.

15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about georgia techs football field

16. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Yeah but the Nats have their own stadium now off Navy Yard. SO it wouldn't be an issue now. I would love for DC to get a WC Qualifier, but we shouldn't reward DC Mgt for diddling around on a new stadium. BTW, Philly is only 90 minutes away from NYC and DC by train at the most. OK I just checked and it is 5 hours from Boston to Philly.

• Panama - Houston
    • Jamaica-RSL
    • Mexico-Columbus (until we lose there)
    • Costa Rica-Kansas City
    • Honduras-Philly

I still think we should get Seattle and Portland in the mix. However, as it has been said, the turf issue will be a problem. I have been to the Rapids stadium and liked what I saw. The only drawback was the supporters section behind the goals were tiny.

17. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    No one said the baseball diamond would be an issue this Hex for DC so I don't know why you bring that up.
    Anyway, I like your list. As long as Union supporters get first dibs on tickets and there is a buzz in Chester. Don't want the Hondurans to sneak in and take over.

18. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RFK's lower bowl holds 27,000. That fits all the DCU fans. No point opening the upper bowl and spreading fans out when you can have them all together and create a more intimidating environment. It's also in the lease as someone said. Saturday the stadium has about 27,000 all in the lower bowl and atmosphere was incredible. The entire stadium bounced on the game winning goal. I heard from people in the media areas knew that they knew we scored because the hallways shook.

19. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Is the field wide enough for an official FIFA match?
    Also, I am not sure if stadium officials have shown any interest.

20. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So punish the DC soccer fans and DCU fans instead? It's not the DC fans fault they haven't gotten a stadium. Why punish them again by not letting them have a qualifier?

Also don't you think DC fans would be more motivated to show up when they just heard a new stadium deal should be done by the end of the 2012? What better way to show they truly deserve it than pack RFK?

Clenbuterol repped this.
  21. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Is 2 hours travel from DC to Philly considered punishment (all jokes from Philly aside)? Furthermore, Philly is more centrally located than DC relative to the surrounding areas.

Hey, I would love for DC to get a WC Qualifier. However, why should we get one with no SSS while Philly is 2 hours away and have a SSS.

22. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lower bowl at RFK holds 19,647, which is the lease-negotiated capacity for DC United matches (that's how many were there Saturday). Total capacity is 46,000.

If it were up to us, we'd have 3 stadiums here by now. People who rag on how long it has taken DCU ownership to get a stadium in DC 1) don't know how hard the owners have been working, 2) don't know a thing about DC politics and 3) need to fall back, stay in their lane and keep quiet about things they know nothing about.

23. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I was just noting that some poster noted that the main reason DC probably did not get a Hex match in 2005 was the stadium needed to cover up the infield diamond. I just said it wasn't an issue now considering RFK got the Tico match in 2009 and Panama match in 2011

24. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, but no one was ever implying that would be an issue this cycle so it was a moot point for you to bring up.

25. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this round I seriously doubt we're going to play in a stadium we've never played in before . Depending on the time of year of the game, we should play in as cold a city as reasonably possible. All our opponents are from warmer countries. I remember a February qualifier v Mexico in Columbus where it seemed like the Mexicans just couldn't get going in the near-freezing weather.