Best Soccer Magazine

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by soccer4ever, Jul 31, 2002.

1. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    Any thoughts?

2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta go with FourFourTwo...wish we had something like it to cover the US scene.
    Full respect to SoccerAmerica--I don't subscribe right now because of the price, but probably will be able to soon. It's a good magazine, does a good job. Haven't seen it lately, it might be even better.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four Four Two is deffinatel the best for English coverage. But I also like World Soccer - nobody even comes close to covering the game the world over (even if the news is a month late).

4. denalimn

denalimn New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Minnesota
    Four Four Two for comprehensive coverage of English football from the Premiership down to Conference.

World Soccer for coverage globally

When Saturday Comes -- again England oriented. Lots of commentary and witty comments. Often hilarious and very well written

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  5. memphis futbol fan

memphis futbol fan New Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Does World Soccer have a Web-site? Would appreciate the address. Thanks

6. norfcath

norfcath New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Philadelphia
    "Soccer America" has the best coverage of, no surprise, American soccer. It's even better now with the emphasis on features.

7. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The Quiet Side
  8. MightyYank

MightyYank New Member

May 9, 2002
    Livingston, NJ
    best mag is US

Sports Illustrated has the best coverage of US soccer.. with ESPN Magazine a close second.

9. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    SI for Women has a nice picture of Heather Mitts this month so I vote for that.

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Sport Magazine.

Nothing like Old School.

Sachin

11. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they even make Soccer Digest, I think that was the name, anymore?

12. morcheeba

morcheeba New Member

May 9, 2002
    90:00 Minutes looks good

I just got the first issue of it right after the WC ended, my friend had a copy. It looks pretty good, so we have 2 magazines in the US now!!!!! I think 442 and world soccer aren't made in the US. I have no idea where you can get 90:00 Minutes though, I haven't seen it in any stores.

13. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Wow... somebody's heard of "Morcheeba" is! I'm impressed!

14. flmls

flmls New Member

Best band

I love them too. They even have a new cd! too bad their last one was so bad.

15. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I gotta go with FourFourTwo on this one. Best articles, and not as anti-american as some other British Mags (thinking of football365.co.uk here).

16. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 90:00 Minutes looks good

www.90minutesmagazine.com

17. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Re: Best band

No kiddin'... Big Calm was still one of my favorites but I was told to steer clear of Fragments of Freedom. Their Back To Mine wasn't that great at all either IMo.

18. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    90 Minutes

90 Minutes was a very good English weekly that went under about 4 years ago.

With all the Internet accessibility these days, I guess that monthly feature oriented magazines are the way to go.

I wonder how Baseball Weekly, Pro Football Weekly & Hockey News are able to survive?

19. Sting-er

Sting-er New Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Gurnee, IL
    Re: 90 Minutes

Well, Baseball Weekly is becoming Sports Weekly, starting in about September or so. I think they were a little scared about the possibility of a strike, and it gives them a chance to go back to a weekly format after October. They were bi-weekly from November to February.

20. flmls

flmls New Member

90 Minutes

It's a mag in the states now. It's a monthly pub.

21. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90:00 Minutes Magazine

Their website (www.90minutesmagazine.com) gives the subscription rates as $45 for 1 Year or $75 for 2 Years.

However . . . the website gives no samples of their work or any idea as to size and how many pages. In other words, what do you get for your $3.75 an issue?

Anybody know?

22. flmls

flmls New Member

I kinda work for them

I work for them sort of.

Most of the writers for the mag are the Soccer Writer's for the Newspapers in the country.

As for the size of the issue, same size as a 442 issue. I haven't looked at the new issue yet though to tell you how big it is. The paper stock makes is really high quality as well. A lot of articles on N.A. Soccer

This issue was a recap of the WC, has an article on St. Louis Soccer and it's history there and players like Taylor Twellman and such. I haven't looked at it yet, so I can't remember off the top of my head what is in it.

The people I gave an issue to loved it, don't know if they got subscriptions, but the emails I received had some pretty good reviews. That was the first issue and they understood that things would be changed. hopefully that helps.

23. Gru88

Gru88 Member

May 27, 2001
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really enjoy Soccer America, although I wish it was every week. Good coverage of the MLS, National Team, and varies US players and personalities. I just ordered Soccer Digest and I am not overly impressed. I think it only comes out once a month. Also with Soccer America once you subscribe you can get e-mail updates everday. They cover the entire scene, it's a nice little bonus.

24. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    When Saturday Comes - if you're really interested in supporting English football. Not a cliche a line, player interview and picture spread mag.