Best Soccer Game for PS2?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Alex_1, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Don't mean to beat a dead horse debate (probably), but what is the better game? I want to pick up a new one for the PS2. I want good game-play, and a creation center where I can make players and/b] teams. Not sure which are the games that allow you to do that. I picked up World Tour Soccer (the one with the Chicago player on the cover) and it is good gameplay, but no creation center. I have FIFA 2002 for the GameCube, but my GameCube $hit the bed so I'm all out of luck. I liked the creation center in FIFA, but it was a bit too easy to master.

Oh yeah - and I want the EUropean leagues too. Be good to have those. Real players would be a bonus but definitely not necessary.

Thanks!

2. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA2003 doesn't have a creation center in it, they left it out of this edition. This one does have reactive crowds though, which although not a big deal does make it fun to play with the volume up.

3. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution is so superior it doesn't even warrant a poll. :D

The only thing that sucks is the license. You need a patch that changes it to English, corrects the names, and adds all the real kits and sponsors.

Fifa has the license, that's it.

4. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    this poll is an insult to winning eleven. first it's compared with poo game called fifa and second alex even isn't sure if winning eleven is correct title. last, he played fifa and wts but hasn't tried the apparent best soccer game of the world.

conclusion, this thread sucks

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Alex-

Where do you think you are, World Rivalries? :)

Quit trolling and go buy Winning Eleven 6. No leagues but the Master league, only 40 club teams, and about the same number of international teams. You can create players and edit teams to your liking. You don't need anything this game doesn't have. FIFA's for children. Haven't played WTS2003, but WTS2002 is better than FIFA2003 and doesn't come close to WE6. Here's a ranking to help you.

1. WE6 (WE6FE ain't available in the US, so it doesn't exist)
    2. WTS 2003
    3. WTS 2002
    4. Drawing soccer pictures in the corner of a book's pages and flipping thru them
    5. FIFA 2003

6. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    something i've noticed about WE6 fans is that they think the game was made by God himself. GET A GRIP PEOPLE! Its the same game released a couple years ago, just with "updated" "players" and "teams". The only things WE6 kicks FIFA's ass in is the creation centre. You want realism, get FIFA. You want a game that will bore you, get WE6.

7. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Are you gonna get WE6FE Auria? You can import it easily or by other means. ;)

WE6 is also excellent, far better than Fifa.

8. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Surely you're talking about FIFA.:rolleyes:

WE is the only series that DOES improve the damn gameplay each version.

WE6 is miles better than WE5, WE6FE is a very different update to WE6 with totally changed ball physics and gameplay.

FIFA just gets worse each year.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I plan on it, ;) but I haven't taken any steps yet in that direction. I'm involved so much with work that I haven't had the time. But sometime this summer, I'll get on it.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This guy would probably choose NASCAR over F1. Friend, grow up. I'm gonna bump that thread you started so when posters are out driving and they see one of those short yellow school buses, they'll think of you...

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why must you assume the stupidest things?

12. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how can you have this thread with no mention of Pro Evolution 2??? I think it is far better than FIFA 2003, but i have never heard of Winning Eleven 6.....

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Your continued support of FIFA leaves me no reason to assume anything else about you. You're the one who's still talking up a game most true football gamers (not the common gaming public- we all know how clueless they are) are now using as either a coaster or a rear view mirror ornament.

I offered you a chance a few weeks ago to save face when I asked you if you played FIFA because WE has no MLS teams. That would have been a reasonable excuse for not upgrading to WE6. But you ignored that post, and now you've returned to make yourself appear even more ignorant (footballwise, at least) by continuing to promote EA's crap as having superior gameplay and realism.

'Fess up. You're either not much of a gamer (no sin), or you can't abide a game that doesn't have your favorite team on it (no sin either). But gameplay and realism are not why anyone plays FIFA, and we both know it. Your current position makes you look foolish, and worse, it may give the starter of this thread the wrong idea if he believes you. Don't lie to people who ask for good advice. They haven't done anything to you, and they deserve a better game than FIFA, even if that's what you want to keep playing.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They may be the same game engine, with updated kits and teams. I've read that on some other sites. I don't know. AFAIK, PES2 isn't available for a US PS2. WE6I is the name for the US released game.

15. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering about that... i couldn't be bothered to look it up myself before 8am though.

In that case.... WE6 is the better of the two.

Roberto Carlos = Roberto Larcos, right?

16. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    welcome back jmmusa8!! i can see fifa caught up winning eleven in the poll. good job!!

yes robert larcos = robert carlos and i just fired him

17. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    I know Alex_1 from the old school so I know that he would love World Soccer Winning Eleven 6.

Alex, let me give you a rundown of WE6.

- Best gameplay of any soccer game, though I still contend that it is very similar to Konami's MLS extratime 2002. A better game no doubt, but very similar.

-there are 40 club teams in 3 divisions. There are tons of International teams too,

- The 40 club teams have fake names but you can change the names of the teams and the teams are close to real teams anyway. For example, Celtic is called Celt and they wear green and white. Arsenal is called London and have the same kits (minus the sponsers). Some of the teams you're gonna have to do a lot of editing to make them look real, and some of the teams I dont even recognize at all.

- The player names are real, for the most part. But some teams have I guess they didnt get the full license for or something because some teams have players named "oranges2309" or "oranges8558". Not sure why, maybe someone else could clear it up. Also, Bayern Munich has a layer named Alber. You have to manually change it to Elber.

- Good creation center, on par with Fifa's old creatio center.

- In the master League, you start in division 3 and work your way up to the first division. When you start out you have fake players on your team, even if you choose Arsenal. You then earn money by winning games - so you use that money to buy real players like Thierry Henry or whatever.

- There are 5 levels of difficulty and level 5 is near impossible to beat, except with luck, at least for me.

- The graphics are mediocre, especially compared to FIFA.

However Alex, I must say that FIFA 2003 is light years ahead of FIFA 2002. FIFA 2003 also has the best grapics of any soccer game ever and tons of leagues and cups, etc.

Can't go wrong with either game really. Winning Eleven is $39.99 and FIFA 2003 is only $29.99 so I'd suggest buying both. Winning Eleven is clearly a better game but both offer something good.

18. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    well as posted on this site and on www.evo-web.co.uk

UK:
    Manchester Utd = Aragon
    Arsenal = London
    Chelsea = Liguria
    Liverpool = Europort
    Leeds Utd = Yorkshire
    West Ham = Lake District
    Newcastle Utd = Highland
    Aston Villa = Dublin
    Celtic Glasgow = Ulster
    Rangers Glasgow = Conmacht

Spain:
    Barcelona = Cataluna
    Real Madrid = Navara
    Valencia = Andalucia
    Deportivo La Coruña = Cantabria

France:
    Monaco = Provence
    Marseille = Languedoc
    Paris Saint Germain = Normandie
    Bordeaux = Medoc

Netherlands:
    Ajax Amsterdam = Rijnkanaal
    Feyenoord (Rotterdam) = Noordzeekanaal
    PSV Eindhoven = Flandre

Italy:
    Internazionale = Marche
    Juventus = Piemontt
    AC Milan = Lombardia
    Lazio = Umbria
    Parma = Emilla
    Fiorentina = Toscana
    Roma = Abruzzi

Germany:
    Borussia Dortmund = Westfalen
    Bayern München = Anhalt
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen = Ruhr
    Hamburger S.V. = Rheinland

Others:
    Olympiakos = Peloponnisos
    Galatasaray = Byzantinobul
    Dinamo Kiev = Marmara
    Spartak Moscow = Valdai

South America:
    Vasco da Gama = Selvas
    Palmeiras = Mato Grosso
    River Plate = Pampas
    Boca Juniors = Patagonia

but of course the lack of both Polonia Warsaw and Hearts of Oak make this game a piece of fecal matter.

19. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the Advice! I made the mistake of getting the World Tour soccer and it's okay, but not what I was really looking for. SO I will try the Winning 11 one instead.

What's up Sr. Cikowski. I heard a scream - I think it was yours - when Allen Iverson was selected for the US team. ;)

20. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you assume that i only play sports games because of the teams and players that are in the game, but you are wrong. I like the gameplay a lot better in FIFA then WE6. I could careless if im playing as Baggio or Faggio. I don't like the fact that people assume that FIFA 2003 is the same as 2002, just with updated rosters. Its not, not even close. You can cleary see the differences. You like WE6, I like FIFA, that doesn't mean im wrong and you are right. Face it. If you want to assume that you are, go ahead, but you be an idiot to do that.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've never said that FIFA 2003 is the same as 2002. I don't have 2002, so I wouldn't be making any comparisons of that nature. I do have FIFA 2003, though, played it, enjoyed the graphics and sound, even enjoyed the game in a "Chuck E. Cheese" sort of manner, but found several flaws in the gameplay. When I got WE6, it was clear to me which was the better game.

Whatever, man. I give up.

22. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Computer suggests i go back to semi-pro on FIFA 2003--still haven't found WE6.

23. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pro Evolution Soccer is the European version of the Winning Eleven series.

WE6FE came out in Japan only 2 months after I already bought PES2, so I angrily/happily got it.

Konami should have released it in Europe but were lazy/greedy.

24. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ISS3

it's all about International Superstar Soccer Pro Evolution 3 :D

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No if they were greedy they would have done what they do in Japan and release 3 versions of the game, Winning Eleven X, Winning Eleven X J - League, and Winning Eleven X Final Evolution.