Best milkshakes among the fast food chains?

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Goodsport, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few months ago I went on a Milkshake Quest among the various fast food chains (I took a separate Milkshake Quest a while later to smaller places like Baskin-Robbins, Peggy Sue's and Elephant Bar Restaurant, all of whom make awesome milkshakes :) ). Of the fast food chains I visited, their milkshakes rank as follows:

1) Jack In The Box: Nicest and thickest shakes of the bunch.

2) McDonald's: Also nice and thick shakes.

3) Dairy Queen: Good shakes.

4) Wendy's: Good, but their Frosty isn't technically a shake (it's more of a straight ice cream).

6) In-N-Out Burger: Pretty good shakes.

7) Burger King: Decent shakes. Not overwhelmingly good or bad (I guess this would be considered the "average" shake).

8) Carl's Jr.: Shakes are too thin and watery. The only milkshake in my Milkshake Quest that I didn't particularly enjoy.

How similarly (or differently) do the fast food chains' milkshakes rank on your list? And is there any place that I missed on my Milkshake Quest? :confused:

-G

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drive up only:

1) Steak and Shake - love them, but not around here
    2) McDonald's - best around here .
    3) Burger King - decent.
    4) Sonic - forgot how good they were, but maybe not as good as I hope.

3. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Steak & Shake has far and away the best milkshakes for a fast food joint. Nothing remotely comes close. Nothing.

Steak & Shake: Great Shakes, horrible burgers.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to put quotes around "burgers" when talking about Steak and Shake. But they do have the best shakes of anyone.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arby's has a flavor of the month, and in April the flavor is banana. I have way too many of those...

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a few Steak & Shake commercials on digital cable a little while ago. Those shakes looked really good! :D

It's too bad that there aren't any Steak & Shakes in or anywhere near California. :(

-G

7. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Or Jersey, for that matter.

8. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    steak and shake by far

i love Micky D's around St. Patty's

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

Here are the states where Steak n Shake restaurants are located:

[​IMG]

-G

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been to a Sonic yet - I wonder if there's one nearby? :confused:

There are definitely Arby's nearby, but I didn't know that they had shakes. :eek: I've gotta try it out (and I like banana shakes as well :D ).

-G

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't had a McShamrock shake for a few years. Hopefully they're still around... if so, they're less than a month away! :D

-G

12. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Take that, you people on the coasts with your nice weather, beaches, and oceans! Midwest 4 lyfe!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Representin'...

[​IMG]

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    in n out burger

15. shades

shades New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    harrisburg, pa usa

Oh, they are absolutely still around!
    I had MANY of them last year.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You could win an election based on those states ;)

Pennsylvania....hmmmm that's not more than 3 hours away. I must look for Steak and Shake on my next trip.

17. talina_baby

talina_baby New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    phoenix, az
    I think I remember Fuddruckers' being pretty yummy.

18. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Banana shakes at the Falafel Drive-In on Stevens Creek in San Jose, just east of the Valley Fair mall. The best banana milkshake I have ever had.

Is that place still open? I should check it out the next time I am up there.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's strange how some McDonald's restaurants have them while others (even ones close by) don't. :confused: I suppose the decision on whether or not to carry it is made per franchise.

In any case, I found a McDonald's that served it earlier this year. It was awesome! :D

-G

20. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow talk about dredging up an old thread back from the dead, here, Goodsie. but one of your old posts did make me think of something...

You know, I see commercials all the time for Sonic restaurants, but I've never in my life seen one. Then I went on the Sonic web site to see where the closest ones are. It seems most of the ones here in California are in the Central Valley... though curiously, NONE here in Sacramento. I have to drive all the way up to Yuba City or down to Tracy (closest to you, Goodsie) Ripon, or Modesto to try Sonic. No Sonics in the Bay Area proper, only one in SoCal proper (Anaheim), but NINE in Bakersfield??? :confused: Seems to me this is a fast food chain specifically targeting a more rural clientele. Perhaps rehashing the drive-in concept (vs. drive-THROUGH) is the reason behind that.

21. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    yeah but you have in-n-out, so shaddup.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

23. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    The thing about fast food shakes is that you can taste the difference when it is basicly a mix. For the hype, Steak and Shake (shake is in their name!) doesn't not use real fruit in their shakes. You can taste it. I was disapointed. Especially because they pimp them, but this is fast food. They do have the side by side shakes, two flavors at once for you greedy bastards.

I totally enjoy a McDonald's chocolate shake. Just thick enough to drink with a straw or use the straw to dip. :D

Other common names for a shake are cabinet, velvet or frappe. I was watching Food Nexwork and this guy was making a frappe in his shop somewhere in New England and he swears that using soft serve ice cream is the secret. I would only use real ice cream. Oh well, regional foods are always fun to explore.

24. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hers are better than yours

[​IMG]

They bring all the boys to the yard...

25. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the best things about McDonalds's shakes are their straws. They have those nice wide, fairly solid straws that are perfect for milkshakes.

My favorite fast food shake is Rally's. They use Hershey's syrup last I remember and that gives it the distinct "made it myself" flavor.