Best ever game you've seen Italy play?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Fabio Grosso 2006, Jul 16, 2013.

1. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    he's only young so he wouldn't have seen classic
    Just like me I can hardly remember the 98 world cup, 2002 was shit, my favourite game was Italy vs Germany I creamed my pants oh wait I couldn't cream at 12 Hahahahahaha

2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    There was something magical about 2006 v Germany in Germany. Recently 1-0 v England at the Euros. The score was a pain, it should have been 4,5-0 because of the total domination of the England and the seething EPL plastic fanboys being put down multiple pegs was a happy day. Let them have their "best league in the world" motto, they cant produce many good footballer's

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure of it is the best, but its certainly the most important and closest match I've ever seen Italy play against a formidable opponent.

jerrito repped this.
  4. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    I was hardly a year old. For me, the most memorable was vs Germany in 2006.

jerrito repped this.
  5. Davide13

Davide13 Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Euro 2000 Semi final vs Holland. 60 thousand screaming Dutch fans at home. Red Card for Italy early on. Two penalties against Italy during the game. Holland had a million shots during the game and all the possession. Nothing was geting past Cannavaro, Nesta and Toldo. Masterclass. Italy win on penalties. Italy vs Germany 2006 was good too for similar reasons. Beating Brazil at home would do very nicely thank you very much :)

maditalian and jerrito repped this.
  6. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    2006 vs Germany, 2006 vs France, 2012 vs Germany, and 2010 vs Slovakia (lol just kidding)

7. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I will never forget that match because it had everything. Zoff, one of the best goalkeepers in history at 40 (If I remember correctly), a Brazilian team many were calling the best ever, superb Italian defenders like Gentile and Cabrini . Once in a generation players like like Zico and Falcao . Players who played on same clubs in Italy (like Falcao and Conti) playing for different sides in the World Cup. Italy was trying to tie Brazil with three World Cup titles. There was a lot of drama even before the match began.

The match itself was very back and forth as far as goals and the match was in the balance until the last minute. Rossi came out of nowhere to suddenly catch fire and shock Brazil and everyone else in the football world.

Again, this match had drama, star names, a titan, an underdog, even a player looking for redemption in Rossi. So many years later I still remember some of the most important portions of the match. The whole think was like a sports movie script.

The final of the 1982 World Cup is also high on my list. Italy dominated a very good German side as if they were not in Italy's class. But it tells you something that it seemed almost like a small accomplishment after the incredible drama of the Brazil match.

Italy - Germany 2006 was a great match and had the perfect ending. It was very emotional for me because it reminded me of my Nonno Gennaro who made me fall in love with calcio when I was very little. The last time I saw him was when we celebrated the WC Victory in 1982 walking up and down Via Duomo togther in Naples.

meazza repped this.
  8. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There's a difference between "best you've seen italy play" and "best result, best win"

In terms of best i've seen italy play at a major tournament, that first half vs. Sweden in Euro 2004 we were absolutely brilliant

maditalian and ArtemioD repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sadly, even though Italy finished tied with Sweden and Denmark with 5 points in Group C, that 1-1 game pretty much contributed to eliminating Italy. Playing well doesn't always equal best results.

10. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #35 DIECI, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    My top games have to be :
    -1982 3-2 vs Brazil
    -1982 3-1 vs Germany
    -2006 2-0 vs Germany
    -1994 2-1 vs Nigeria

memorable mention
    -1994 2-1 vs Bulgaria
    -1994 2-1 vs Spain
    -2000 0-0 vs Netherlands
    -2012 2-1 vs Germany

These are not "the best we've ever played" games, they are the most memorable wins for us though that stand out in my mind.

Hard to beat this though : http://www.youtube.com/index.php?id=240&note=conditionalredir

That extra time I think is the best I've seen Italy play, we totally destroyed Germany and could have beat them 4-0

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Marco Tardelli always said the best team he ever played on was the 1978 team. That team finished top of Group 1 and beat France , Hungary and eventual champion Argentina in their homeland.

jerrito repped this.
  12. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy had to play a fantastic match in 1982 to beat Brazil in that match. Surely you're not talking about that? I mentioned it because first of all it is one of the best matches I have ever seen Italy play.

13. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I see your point. But that was a game that Italy struggled to win. Much like they did in 2006 vs. Germany etc. Fantastic performances vs. great opposition. But they were tilt affairs.

Vs. Sweden, Italy was completely dominant in that first half. They completely played Sweden off the park. Definitely the prettiest football I've seen italy play at a major. Unfortunately Trap took the foot off the gas in the second and the rest is history.

jerrito and ArtemioD repped this.
  14. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree on that match. I would choose the 1982 final with Germany. Italy were flying high by then and looked unstoppable against a true world power. And the score could have been even worse (Cabrini missed rigore.)

15. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    1982 was before my time…Italy beating Germany in 06 is my pick. I knew once we beat them that the cup was ours. I lost my confidence a bit when France were awarded a bogus penalty and Toni was called offsides for a legit goal…but luckily it all turned out well.

And nothing was worse than 02. I try to forget that tournament ever happened.

16. Davide13

Davide13 Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    94 - I barely even knew what football was - first and only time I have ever seen my dad cry.
    98 - I was in bed for days after Di Biagio missed the penalty.
    2000 - Vomited during the games against Holland and France. Was in bed for days afterwards.
    2002 - Crying in public like a bitch
    2004 - Rioting and angry in public. Going nuts.
    2006 - Going nuts in public - for the right reasons.

17. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are we only considering WC or Euro?
    Because purely as quality of play the win against Germany in Florence before WC06 was something else... I think it was 4-1

But the best matches in WC are 1978 AND 1982 vs Argentina, 1982 vs Brazil and the semi vs Germany in 2006.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Too bad it didn't count for anything but that was the last four goal game I remember from Italy.....

19. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you considering the quality of the opponent? Italy was playing what was widely believed at the time (and still believed by many today) to be the greatest soccer team ever in 1982 Brazil. Also, beating a strong Germany at home in the semi-finals of the World Cup has got to be considered a greater accomplishment than tying Sweden in the first round of the Euro Cup. And, I don't consider Italy as having struggled in either contest, they rose to the occasion in difficult environments.

jerrito repped this.
  20. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All the tournament matches Rossi, Toto and Robbie scored in. Germany 2006 as well.

21. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's cause Italy won 4-2 vs England in PK's at the EC2012. But I see what your saying.

22. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I and many of my friends in Naples had the same feeling after the Brazil match in 1982. It just felt like Italy was now unstoppable.

23. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #48 sempreITALIA, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    Zambrotta smashed the cross bar and Gilardino hit the post in regular time during that game. I wouldn't say Italy struggled to win that Semi-Final. Sure, it went to overtime and Germany pressed as well, but the better team won that day and Italy DESERVEDLY moved on to the Final. One of Italy's finer performances in my life time.

The best you've ever seen Italy play was a 45 minute cameo in a tournament they got ousted in in the group stage? Italy also played the first quarter of an hour fantastically against Spain in the group stage in EURO 2012, completely dominant. One of Italy's best performances EVER! :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Stamos repped this.
  24. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Lol, I get indestructible's point though. That first half vs Sweden was amazing, Del Piero was really turning on the style.
    On topic, the recent semi final wins vs Germany (2006, 2012) have been great perfomances.

jerrito repped this.
  25. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    In terms of game-style, but not the result, the best I've seen Italy play would be-

-Italy vs Sweeden (1st Half) (2oo4)
    -Italy vs France (1st half) (2000, 2008)
    -Italy vs England (2012)
    -Italy vs Germany (2006)

maditalian repped this.