Best Dribblers.

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by TKORL, Nov 1, 2009.

1. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    That's how good he was. With all due respect, no one remembers the times he lost possesion, because of what he created when he didn't.

2. Chicharito352

Chicharito352 Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think someone who hasn't been mentioned here, that has bad luck with his career is Ricardo Querasma.

I have seen of his highlights and he is an amazing dribbler

3. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Quaresma had excellent footwork, but had the worst decision making. He would get caught in possession and lose the ball. It was mainly his own doing.

4. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The two best dribblers in the world today are Messi and Neymar. Neymar is more spectacular but, Messi is more efficient as he does not waste his dribbles. In the last copa america, according to statistics, Neymar was the best dribbler.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    While agree with you about these two names... Neymar GOTTA prove his ability in big leagues and big games (like his idol fenomeno did from liga to serieA , from copa to WC)

Messi in other hand has proven well in liga, and UCL. All he needs is to raise his games and proven his status in NT at big events

6. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pele - 60s
    Maradona, Zico - 80s
    Ronaldo - Late 90s
    Ronaldinho - Early 2000s

Messi, Neymar, C.Ronaldo, Lucas Moura - 2011 (Now Current)

7. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ahaha the CR one is funny lol, (combining every move he learned since he was a baby all at once) funny lol. but very sure, he gets carried away with his tricks when get runs down the side line.

Messi is a basic dribbler, and C.Ronaldo get carried away to much. but Brazil Ronaldo 9 and Ronaldinho was in the middle of both Messi and CR, So I reckon Brazil R9 is the best dribbler. because he knew when to dribble and always got past defenders most of the time.

I think the Neymar is becoming the best dribbler right now, because he is sort of like Ronaldo 9 and Ronaldinho. Neymar is more then basic dribbling like messi, but he doesnt get carried away like C.Ronaldo, but still brings on a show every now and then. :)

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    With some overlap in between eras ...

40-50's: Zizinho and Mathews
    50-60's: Garrincha (Cziborg and Pele)
    60-70's: Pele and Best (Rivelino & Eusebio)
    70-80's: Cruyff and Rivelino (and Zico)
    80-90's: Maradona and Zico (and Basten)
    90-00's: Ronaldo and Baggio (and Romario)
    00-10's: Ronaldinho and Ronaldo (and Zidane)
    10-now: Messi Neymar (and CR7)

9. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    CR is overrated and doesn't deserve any mention as the best dribbler in any era, Neymar has yet to prove himself so I wouldn't place him as the best dribbler in a whole ERA yet either lol, some people here are amazing really.

10. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Sivori should be in the 50-60 imo...

11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well, from late 00's til now, with a decline in individual skills, whoelse besides messi are as good or better than Neymar, CR7 in dribbling? Kaka Robben also deserved a mention but they are not that consistently good and effective on that area - unless you want ONLY MESSI in such category? I don;t care I just list out the "best" reasonably available at time

I did not mean to compare and rate them all thru out eras though

May be ...as many names were missed out in my short list as I only put up typical great in dribble. For example, Tostao, Leonidas, Baggio, Okocha, Laudrup Socrates Rivaldo, Jairzhino, Figo, Falcao Conti Kempes Ortega Henry Robinho ... were all very good in dribble as well ...

12. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Robinho and Iniesta are all better picks as pure dribblers than CR, Neymar I agree with but he is yet to prove himself.

And why would you mind only mentioning Messi, the 10's onwards just started and im sure in the next 8 years we will surely see at least 1 great dribbler if not more.

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    LOL ... Iniesta now become a great dribbler? I can name Kaka, Robben to be better at any time, oh even the old Ronaldinho now still way better than Iniesta in dribble.

Between Robinho and Neymar?? ... go watch Brazil games and ask ANY BRAZILIANS if you don;t know ... GOSH ...

Robinho vs Neymar was like CR7 vs Messi. One is more about SHOW OFF and one is about effective

14. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Needless to say, mate. I just meant that IMO, if you want to name only the 2 or three very best of his time Sivori should make the list. I personally felt it was more unfair to leave him out than to leave any of those other guys you name out. Thats all.

15. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Iniesta like always is underrated in dribbling just like Zidane was.

Iniesta doesn't dribble alot overall but his success rate is great, and im talking about pure dribbling not just getting past players, close control skills/feints to wrongfoot defenders etc.
    I mean you can't say Walcott is a great dribbler just because he can flick the ball ahead of the defender and outrun him now can you?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ylaVJeWebc&feature=player_embedded"]Iniesta Turns & Dummies - YouTube[/ame]

Kaka doesn't rly make it anywhere near this list if we talk strickly 10' onwards.

Robben sure I would rate him somewhere on CR's level tho, not a great pure dribbler per say but with wonderful speed.

I wasn't comparing Robinho to Neymar btw, only said that he is a better pure dribbler than CR.

Once again Neymar is great but is very young and yet has to prove himself on the big stage before we can start talking about him up at the very top here.

16. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree, Iniesta is one of the best dribblers of recent times. It's one of his strengths actually, but as usual he and his attributes are overlooked/undervalued. I would also say Kaka, Robben and Robinho. Ribery is not bad either.

17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    First, it depends on the context of who are to compete to them in thsi category - dribbling. Zidane will look great in dribble if he is against the like Nedved, Figo, Medietta, Giggs , Gerrard ... but NOT that close to other great dribllers like Garrincha Maradona Cruyff Best or Ronaldo (preinjured) ... Much often Zidane used his great "ball control" to STEER AWAY from his opponents/marker - NOT necessary passing them ... so different OK? well .. to put up Iniesta next to Zidane is another StRETCH

Now, your definition or your saying of dribbling is invalid -
    "DRIBBLE" is an act of a player to do to PASS his marker, opponents around.

There are type of dribblers:
    1- Effective dribblers: who could do some tricks ( elastico, step overs, Ronaldo chop, cruyff turn or Maradona 360 turn ...) or just simple gesture i.e. lower shoulder, wrong foot opponents, dummy move ... in order to pass opponents = ULTIMATE GOAL

2- Show boat dribblers: who rely sheerly on TRICKS and FANCY moves to entertain/show off his skills on pitch, without much successful or meaningful movements in direction. Denilson Quaresma Robinho (05-08) and CR7 (in his early years 06-09) are typical in this. Lately, both Robinho and CR7 have gotten better into more "effective" type.

Back to Iniesta, (you don;t need to show his clips) he was good in dribble with smart moves agree. But to say he is among the "best dribblers" even at present is OVERATED. So, based on your saying "Iniesta did not do that much dribble but his rate is good" and whats the point here? Do you know Nasri, Walcott, Van Persie, Etoo, Torres could also pull some good tricks in dribbling from time to time as well?

Better dribblers than Iniesta from 08-now: Messi, Neymar, Ibrahimovic, Robben, Robinho, CR7 , Ribbery and Kaka. To some extend, I would rate Sneijder, Torres , Tevez ... and some more are also better dribble than Iniesta

- For Kaka, well he might have passed his best and has gotten in difficult time at Real but everyone would OT FORGET his good old days (06-09) - Go back and watch some of his games at Milan and especially UCL07 that Iniesta WOULD NEVER do the same caliber of Kaka period

- For Neymar, agree that he needs to PROVE more of his great in big leagues (in term of effectiveness, scoring and influencing in games), BUT, here we talk about dribble skills ... Did not he play very good in last copa, some friendly vs Argentina, Germany , Ireland ... already??? He did show he is at least ON PART with other good StARS PLAYERS name Messi, Ozil ... in those games.

==================================================
    A side note:
    Pele, Garrincha, Rivelino, Jairzinho ... did NOT need to play in Europe to PROVE their dribble skills OK?

18. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    James we seem to have a different look over what a good dribbler is.

For me if someone can simply pass a player it doesn't make him a good dribbler at all, a good example of that is Walcott. He can get past alot of players IF he has alot of space by simply kicking the ball forward and outsprinting him, but I don't define this as dribbling.

I would define this as speed and acceleration from which as a result the player can get past players IF he has alot of space behind him.
    I would also count this in the "ability to get past players" category but not in the "dribbler" category.

For me a dribbler is someone who can beat players with his body movements, feints, effective feet movements, ball control and smart movements.
    As such a dribbler is effective in getting past players in all situations and thus not limited to certain situations as I described above with Walcott.

As such if you take into consideration my view on the subject then

Iniesta > CR in dribbling

CR > Iniesta in the ability to get past players

19. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    imo dribbling includes the ability to precisely manipulate the ball in any direction/movement desired. Iniesta is in more control and has more precision on the ball compared to CR. The difference is CRonaldo has the athleticism and strength to also dribble past more players (though not always successfully).

20. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Young kids often think 'good dribbling skills' mean the seeking of as many legs as possible and still being able to find a way forward with a broad array of tricks. If it goes down to this, then probably Denilson is the best dribbler in world history and Vanenburg in the history of dutch football.
    But if dribbling also mean finding spaces, being unpredictable with the ball on your feet, making space for others and ruining the tactical plan of others, then dribbling means something different. In this sense Beckenbauer was an extremely good dribbler just as Johan Cruijff for the Netherlands:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpmwhF0syu4"]Cruijff vs Panathinaikos By Zouzinho - YouTube[/ame]

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    No I don;t think we have different view . I have never claimed Walcott a great dribbler anyway, and I agree he relies too much of his speed and acceleration rather than techniques. In this category, Roberto Carlos, Rommedahl, are same case. I just said some players with a some good flashes (occasionally) do not make them a good dribbler. Iniesta happened to be same ... not a constant good dribblers.

There are some very good dribllers in my book who does not have speed (at all) : Ronaldinho, Baggio, Zidane, Laudrup, Ibrahimovic, Zola, Bergkamp, Aimar, Diego (Brazil), Figo, and of course Okocha.

But in REALITY, most great dribblers are (coincidently?) well equiped with either great speed or acceleration or even both:
    - Pele, Ronaldo9, Garrincha, Maradona, Cruyff, G.Best, Rivelino, Zico ... all had both acceleration and speed. (Messi and CR7 happened to have both as well)

- Others like Romario, Basten, Juninho (paulista) Overmars, Henry, Rivaldo, Stoitchkov, Pato, Kaka ... either have only speed, or only acceleration. (for example Romario only had acceleration, while Kaka had good speed)

Anyway this is not a black & white discussion ... we have to have a feel for it

22. scabbt22

scabbt22 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi
    Ronaldo (R9)
    Garrincha

Here are just a few

23. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    That's the player's strongest asset. How is that aspect of his game not constant?

24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I think if Iniesta would get the chance to play closer to goals (more freedom) he will get more "constant" and/or better in dribble - (he has the skill and ability to improve in that surely) but due to his present position in midfield, he (maybe) gotta play safe - less risk of losing balls so he will secure his starting position. It's understandable and acceptable to lose the ball in opponent's box, than in your own half

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I feel there are definate similarities bewteen Cruyff and a player who'd turn out to be his protege at Barcelona Michael Laudrup. Here's a younger Laudrup starring for Denmark in 1986:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlp7Opky2gw"]Michael Laudrup vs Uruguay 1986 - YouTube[/ame]
    I would say especially in his younger years he was a player with decent pace (moreso than Zidane for example but not like Rommedahl)) and it's evident he can use that for quick dribbling, though he excelled most with mazy runs.
    His brother Brian was a little quicker (but still not Rommedahl-like) and although he too had good close dribbling and his style was similar in some ways he did prefer to run fast with the ball into space I think:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGWXJKAtGTc"]Brian Laudrup - YouTube[/ame]