Best Dribblers.

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by TKORL, Nov 1, 2009.

1. JGGott

JGGott Member

Nov 10, 2012
    I seriously think you're confusing the terms. Tricks are very closely related to dribbling, REGARDLESS of what will happen next, whether there will be a sequence to the play or it will create opportunity for scoring or not. What happens next is NOT related.

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Maradona was stronger to have endured hundreds of fouls and still ale to run 90mins and WON games for his NT. That's SOLID proof, what age is all about? My son is a college graduate BTW

In other hand, I am not sure what Messi will be like after the 100th tackle right on his feet? would he still be up? or would he will be carried out of field? we don;t know ... because it ain't happened

3. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    He uses more of speed and raw power on his runs, with less change of directions he keeps up his speed and has the power to keep his center of gravity while running with the ball, you can't shoulder him off the ball he's that strong (most people don't realize that).

players that have speed but don't have Messi's power will make the same exact run but get shouldered off the ball.

4. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Have you forgotten this already?

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How on earth does that make him stronger? Your son is gollege graduate, so am I, you obviously aren't.

Messi can ride tackles better than Maradona did, and I'm sure because he's stronger and has better physique, could withstand treatment that Maradona got.

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think you are relative new to the football. And you logical thinking isn't really developed yet, hence your statements really doesn't make any sense.

7. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly.

Potential broken ankle.

[​IMG]

Out couple weeks.

Potential broken knee.

[​IMG]

No injury.

Potential broken shinbone.

[​IMG]

No injury.

Potential knee injury.

[​IMG]

Came back couple days after and beat world record in scoring.

8. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Buddy calm down with the personal insults, wanna call him out for having a fraudulent opinion due to obvious bias is one thing, everyone will see your call out and you'll show him off as a fraud and biased.
    I myself have disagreed with tons of things he has said on other topics, but that's us discussing our opinions.
    Now for the actual content you posted... I can see you didn't watch much of Maradona's playing and you watch a lot of Messi playing. If you can't recognize that the game was a lot more violent back in the 80s everyone here will notice that your opinion is biased.

It's a fact that maradona got hit more than Messi, for the simple fact that most rules of fair play of today weren't in place back then. The way to stop players back in the day, was to have a thug in your team... and your own team had a big central defender and his job was to make sure if somebody beat up your star player, you would do the same to theirs.

That's how things were kept in balance.

Nowadays... you tackle somebody from behind that's an instant yellow, you are the last player to knockdown somebody with a clear scoring opportunity you get red carded, you make an off the ball tackle you get yellow carded.

That's your reality and Messi's reality... That was FAR from the reality on the early 90s and before.

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Buddy calm down with the personal insults, wanna call him out for having a fraudulent opinion due to obvious bias is one thing, everyone will see your call out and you'll show him off as a fraud and biased.
    I myself have disagreed with tons of things he has said on other topics, but that's us discussing our opinions.
    Now for the actual content you posted... I can see you didn't watch much of Maradona's playing and you watch a lot of Messi playing. If you can't recognize that the game was a lot more violent back in the 80s everyone here will notice that your opinion is biased.

It's a fact that maradona got hit more than Messi, for the simple fact that most rules of fair play of today weren't in place back then. The way to stop players back in the day, was to have a thug in your team... and your own team had a big central defender and his job was to make sure if somebody beat up your star player, you would do the same to theirs.

That's how things were kept in balance.

Nowadays... you tackle somebody from behind that's an instant yellow, you are the last player to knockdown somebody with a clear scoring opportunity you get red carded, you make an off the ball tackle you get yellow carded.

That's your reality and Messi's reality... That was FAR from the reality on the early 90s and before.

10. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I actually saw Maradona's goal of the century live from television, and followed him in serie-A regularly, so that's why I try to avoid people like yourself who obviously don't know what they are talking about.

11. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vinnie Jones would have actually made all of those breaks happen.. that's what you're not understanding. Plus, Maradona actually had broken bones from playing, these are collisions they happen, but nobody was suspended after.

Just look up Italy vs Chile, Battle of Santiago... Because of games like that people started adding substitutions to the game...
    Maradona's leg break became one of the reasons new rules were added.
    There's no comparison

12. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Sure I believe you... do me a favor click on the ignore button on my name and avoid me, because you're proving to be too much of an ass to even have a discussion with.

13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course he would had, he also had knives and tire irons to enhance the injuries. Maradona also faced multiple landmines and constant rapid fire from the goalies. Where does these guys come from?

And Messi has had multiple injuries and horror tackles, but his vision, ability to ride tackles and predict situations makes him relative resistant to any kind of treatment. Uljafusi got three match ban, didn't stop Ramos kicking the life out of Messi. Del Horno didn't even get foul called.

14. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It matters little to me what you believe. You first quoted me multiple times, I had to answer you so that you can stop trying to feed the ignorance and stupidity, at least for me.

15. JGGott

JGGott Member

Nov 10, 2012

HAHAHAHA!!! To begin with, I'm Brazilian, so naturally I already know more about football than you. Second, no... I'm not new to football, in fact I almost went professional. Third, everybody seems to be disagreeing with what you say, so are you sure it's not you who's the noob here?

;)

16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Del Horno was sent off.

17. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For another incident.

18. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    And in turn that is only your "best assumption" but it doesn't make it any more true, you know....How can I warrant my assumption? Same way you do.

How does Messi have more freedom than the players you name? Because he isn't man-marked? I guess you are not watching the games as much as you claim you do. Or if you are watching them, then you are not seeing clearly.....maybe it's your glasses....:D

For me it's fact that Messi doesn't have it any easier than past greats.

19. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If it's not your theory then why write it? Oh, you want to point facts, ok....well, it is obvious that players were receiving more rough treatments before. But what does that have to do with who is great at dribbling? Is it a case of the harder a player was fouled the better dribbler he was? Since Maradona was fouled harder does that mean he was better dribbler than Messi is now?

I just don't get what point are you trying to make here, even if you are stating a fact and something I'm aware of and I'm not denying. BTW, it is also a fact that Messi too receives some hard fouls against him.

20. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    James,

I'll be the first to say that I would like to see Messi do better in WCs/Copas. But let's be clear here. The only major claim against him is that he didn't score or didn't score as much in WC2010 and Copa2011. He did show his dribbling, passing and setting up chances for his teammates or himself. It's just the scoring part. When I say I want him to do better, I mean he should show more maturity, leadership (especially now that he is captain of NT) and goals, leading his team to the final/title. He did it at youth WC level in 2005 and Olympic level in 2008. At least give him credit for that.....he had no Barca teammates for that, right?

On the other hand, many coaches and football people express opinion that a competition like the CL is stronger than WC for example. And what do playing with "11 great Barca teammates" (again, WTF?) have to do with Messi's great dribbling ability? You haven't seen this great dribbling ability of his when playing for Argentina? Again, I have to question what have you been watching......

21. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It hasn't happened because defenders can't catch Messi since he is so fast.:D You can't foul what you can't catch.....

Seriously though, I will agree with you that Maradona had more upper body strength but I think Messi is quicker/faster dribbler. I think Diego was quicker/faster when he was younger, than we he was playing at WC 1986. By that point he was stronger, but slower than his younger years. Similar thing has happened to Messi in his younger years vs now.

But to sum it up: Maradona was stronger, Messi is quicker/faster. And that is not just my opinion.

22. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    LOL, Messi has never played against Vinnie Jones and neither has Maradona. So your point is redundant, again.

Speaking of leg breaks, have you seen or remember Eduardo's from Arsenal a few years ago?

23. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :rolleyes::laugh:o_O I guess it's a new thing that football knowledge is based on nationality......

24. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    The topic is about dribbling, right?

Whether it is about dribbling, Messi is the best.

Not a single argument presented consistently to criticize him in this regard. My Brazilian friends came to compare Messi to Neymar, Denilson and Djalminha!

As I once said, nobody controls the ball with as much quality as Messi. To have so much control, you need a lot of technique, speed and agility and Messi meets all these characteristics. Messi in all matches where he dribbles bids carries several defenders at once, against which team it is. The ease with which he does it is amazing.

Accepted that put Maradona and Ronaldinho in the conversation because they were tops. Ronaldo also accepted, but Messi was better than him.

And I speak only of dribbles =]

What about tricks and Messi, already talked about it, but someone who chose not remember saying that I was diverting the topic subject (which is what they are doing now). It is easy to explain.

25. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012