Best Book Series

Discussion in 'Books' started by Felixx219, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite is the Belgariad/Mallorean by David Eddings.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I have to vote for the Dresden Files, too. I have to admit that I spend way too much time thinking about these books. I'm currently halfway finished with my third read-through of the entire series.

Jim Butcher has another series called the Codex Alera that I tried to read but couldn't get into because I'm not that big into traditional fantasy. I guess The Dresden Files are considered urban fantasy. It's set in present-day Chicago, rather than a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Some people might have seen the very short-lived series on SciFi called the Dresden Files. It's not bad but it only lasted one season. I found the books after I came across the shows on Hulu last year.

3. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Harry Turtledove has two good series that I've read.

The first is World War - where aliens invade slap bang in the middle of WW2.

The second is Southern Victory - which starts at the end of the US civil war, which the South has won, and goes all the way up to 1945.

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend.

Brilliant as I almost grew up alongside him.

5. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really enjoyed that one long long ago... thanks for reminding me of it.

6. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    World War is fantastic.

Sadly, the sequel Colonization series isnt nowhere near up to par.

I also liked turtledoves "Guns of the South" where a racist white organization from South Africa go back in time to the American civil war and arm Lee's army with AK-47's.

7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That guy doesnt joke around with his series. He has written a ton. I love alternative history too.

I have the first book of the Civil War series coming my way.

I read the first 2 books of the Hungar Games series and they are fantastic. Some of the best books I have read in a long time.

As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I started reading Twilight. My wife and daughter are obsessed with the books and movies and the movies are on all the time in my house. Since they are much like Harry Potter movies and really only a Cliff Notes version of the books, I wanted to read them to get the background because I hate not knowing the details. They arent bad, I would call them average at best.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    In the last one our Adrian is all grown up! Capuccino Years is what it's called I think.

9. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah it was a bit below par but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

I read that civil war one too. Classic! :D

The civil war series is brilliant and this from a non yank.

10. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I know the request was not for sci-fi, but I would strongly reccomend the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. While it is indeed space opera with a strong policial influence, it was written as a cross between Star Wars and Horatio Hornblower. The 12th main book was released this past July, and I am trying to read it slowly so I can savor it.

11. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finished Mockingjay the final book of the Hungar Games series and I strongly recommend reading that trilogy.

12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would second the recommendation of the O'Brian seafaring novels. I didn't care for them as much, but really a series you can sink your teeth into.

I love Dune, I think it is possibly the greatest sci-fi work ever. But the sequels suck, I think because the book was not designed to be part of a series. The extreme success of Dune "forced" Herbert to write more. The series is way beyond melodramatic and the younger sister of Paul Atreides/Muad'Dib is as annoying as Scrappy Do.

If you want to go a little more literary, read the Nick Adams short stories by Ernest Hemingway. Read together, they are a fascinating coming of age story that is by far his best writing.

While I greatly loved the Eddings' Belgariad/Mallorean quintains, if you had to look for a sci-fi series that is a little different, try Stephen R Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever I and II.

I would also echo the John Carter of Mars series by ER Burroughs. ERB really, really cannot end a story, but he pulls you into the action so quickly. Wonderful series in that the first 2 are all John Carter, but by books 3-10 he focuses on a different main character in each book, and for the last (without bothering to google it, I think there are 11 books in the series) all the characters form one of the richest tableaus in sci-fi.

The Sherlock Holmes is an interesting recommendation. There are numerous sites that have ordered the books/stories in the order they should be read. One of the nice things about Doyle, though, if you don't in fact like Sherlock Holmes (like myself) you will find out relatively quickly.

13. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series. I've enjoyed that as much as anything I've read.

SF and Fantasy:
    Zelazny's Amber is another great call.

CJ Cherryh's Morgaine series probably rightly belongs to the second (rather than the top) tier of fantasy, but I really enjoyed it the first time I read it, years ago.

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser books absolutely belong to the top tier. There is so much that derives from them, but doesn't come close to their imagination and pure fun. Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series is also peerless, in my opinion.

14. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The after the first one, which is fantastic, Dune novels are unreadable.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay Malby, Area 51 - I am starting the World War books. Here's to your recommendation panning out!

16. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about 100 pages into Dune so far.

17. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read most of the books mentioned so far - like the Honor Harrington universe ones a great deal. Also like the Hammer's Slammers novels and short stories by David Drake.

What about Raymond Feist's intertwined series of books based on Krondor?

As to Turtledove, I do not like his World War series as well as his Videssos fantasy series.

Eric Flint - his alternate history novel 1632 has expanded into a series of novels and short stories by himself and a number of other people.

Charlaine Harris has created several sets of series that I like a lot - the Southern vampire novels being fantasy while the Lily Bard and Roe Teagarden ones are mystery series.

18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you read any of the Dresden Files books? Or the Codex Alera?

19. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am getting into the climax of "Dragon Tattoo" and loving it. It takes awhile to pick up but now I cant put it down. I had to sneak off a couple of times at work today and read a little of it.

20. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    a few favorite fiction/fun reading series of mine:

Crime/mystery
    Henning Mankel's series of books featuring Kurt Wallander is really good
    Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch series is also an excellent set of police procedurals

Spy books
    Le Carre's George Smiley series of books
    Charles Cummings series (only a couple books so far)

Historical fiction
    Jeff and michael sharra's series about the civil war, then expanded to revolutionary war and others

Just for fun
    Lee Child's Jack Reacher series--not as well written as the other series i list but fun as hell

21. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just finished that one today and went to Border's and picked up the 2nd to start tonight. Great stuff so far.

22. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I hit that part about 2:30 on a warm, sunny Spring afternoon on my front porch. I proceeded to finish the book, my lunch, and dinner on the front porch. Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Oh -- and Billy's Pan Pizza actually kind of sucks, in case anyone was wondering. I tried some in Oslo because of the book. :eek:

23. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I finished it yesterday and proceeded to attempt to watch the movie last night. I got irritated about 45 minutes in and had to turn it off. Why change so much stuff? I understand taking some out but no need to change the story.

24. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    It was odd to me how they did it. But then again, the movie clocked in at 2.5 hours (all three do, actually) so I assume they thought they did the right thing. Thinking about it now, I'm not sure if I could provide a better edit.

I'm curious to see how the American version of the film holds up. (They are actually filming it in Sweden. Besides, it can't be worse than the Swedish version. I hope.)