Berti Vogts has been named special advisor to Klinsmann for the World Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Mar 30, 2014.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I think Herzog hopes Belgium wins the Cup, on the possibility of the Round of 16 match.

Ramos (although he has every reason to pick Uruguay) has picked Brazil on which to place his hopes, for perhaps the psychological edge in the final. (Also his head still hurts a bit from '94.)

2. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be a perfectly placed spy for the Krauts?? ;)

tab5g repped this.
  3. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    you forgot , "carry around blank 300-page clipboard".

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think you're overestimating the loyalty part. The public reaction was not like people see in him a traitor now. The same with Klinsmann. But that has to do with Berti's rep in Germany in general. He is a player and coaching legend yes, but not with the likes of Beckenbauer or others. He is seen as a guy who views soccer first of all as a sport that needs to be worked by players. And he only got the job cause DFB used to put people on jobs who had played NT before and their qualification didnt matter. He has never been the media type guy like Klinsmann who still has a lot sympathies all around - just because he knows how to sell it to the customer. Berti, by contrast, is known for leading soccer Germany into its darkest period. So there are not many of his friends among the media and fans. He was and is mocked by large parts of the public(Bööörti Vogts) just take a look at the video I posted on the first page. The 1996 title was and is percieved to be the, lets say, most undeserved title of all. It was the time when people turned away from NT soccer while Bundesliga was booming, just because the NT used to play so unattractive soccer back then.

Vogts is known for working on foreign shores. And people know he's never been very succesful. Germany has come along him playing Scotland and Azerbaijan in (important) qualifiers. Not a very new story. I guess the majority of German soccer fans didnt even know Vogts is working in Azerbaijan. In addition, Vogts is seen as a coach of the past with methods and tactics from the 80ies - he cannot be all too dangerous to Germany. Whereas what Klinsmann's doing is eyed very suspiciously.

I guess it is no. 2. Like Vogts said himself: a favor for his old Buddy Jürgen + passing some time.

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #155 White/Blue_since1860, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Indeed. But Löw plays mind games as well... not to forget the pressure comes from the homefront. They are expected to win the cup. Klinsmann's mind games cannot increase the pressure. The good part in playing in Brazil (like in SA 2010) is the players are far away from German press and public. They wont get the see the silly hype before the game discussing just by how many goals "them Amis" are gonna be beaten.

6. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    #156 SPA2TACU5, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    I don't think this will hurt his reputation at all.

Berti is bored. It's that simple. Azerbaijan's first qualifier won't be until Sept 9.
    He probably has offers to coach other national teams, but no federation is going to pay him what Azerbaijan is paying him (some incredibly rich oil tycoons around there).

EDIT: I'm reading he initially signed for around one million.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    tab5g repped this.
  8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    SPA2TACU5 and deuteronomy repped this.
  9. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Indeed. Vogts tactical knowledge was already outdated by the time he was coaching Germany 20 years ago, and his coaching career pretty much went downhill since then until he landed the relatively cushy gig with Azerbaijan (though wasn't there something about having a shoe thrown at him because they were unhappy?).

Anyways, Börti has been out of the German set- up so long, I don't see how he could have any special inside knowledge about German tactics or the like that couldn't be gleaning by studying video tapes of Germany's games.

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Nah, klinsie knows this wont hit germany very hard in the german context, but in the world cup context, a completely different animal, he started his assault already with the bbq for brazilian journalists. He is planting newstory seeds, so that jogi, from the very first will be put under major pressure and one misstep, such has his idiotic histrionics at the Euros, will be magnified.

JK also has the benefit of there being virtually no soccer press in the US to contend with.

11. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like US youth national team coaches.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oliver Kahn once said: "For years now Im in a steady state of pressure. With all this pressure I dont feel the pressure anymore." I see your point. But I dont see it will have an effect on Löw or anyone. For Löw this is his last chance: get the trophy or byebye Jogi. You cant be more under pressure. *histrionics at the euros?

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Is Berti Vogts going to join the coaching staff after the Azerbaijan game? Will he be on the bench during games at the WC?

RunthePoint repped this.
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Klinsmann is superstitious, so he's going to make sure he gets red carded in the semifinals (like the Gold Cup). Berti will coach the USA in the finals against Germany and lift the trophy once again.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Just a point, but a coach cannot be red carded. You can remove them from the bench, but you cannot red card them (unless we are playing by stupid HS rules).

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's redundant....

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you've been watching too many WWII movies.

18. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    But he's so consistent. He always does what he says and says what he does. ;)

19. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I think he knows he's got no chance to coach Germany again, but a good US showing puts him in the running for a lot of middle tier Euro jobs after this summer. He's 67. He doesn't give a squat what the powers in Germany think of him anymore. He's beyond that point in his life.

20. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think it will get him out of Azerbajan, that's for sure!

He wants to be relevant again--and how better to do so than helping out the US? Can't agree more.

21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From ESPN/Jeff Carlisle:
    -- Much was made of the coaching staff shakeup just prior to the Mexico game, when Berti Vogts was hired on as an advisor and No. 1 assistant Martin Vasquez was demoted. So what exactly has Vogts been doing? Evidently, he’s been focusing on his day job as manager of Azerbaijan, who the U.S. face on May 27. According to a U.S. Soccer spokesman, Vogts isn’t in camp at the moment, and isn’t expected to begin focusing on the U.S until after that match. At that point, Vogts will head back to Europe to do some scouting.

Gotta admit, I'm a little weirded out by this. The World Cup is how many days away?

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    #172 Marko72, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    This was announced as a part of the plan before he was brought on. He'll take a leave from his Azerbaijan job to work with us after the Azerbaijan game at Candlestick. His primary job, reportedly, will be scouting, though you never know if he might end up on the bench with Klinsi or what. In any case, I don't think he's the #2. That appears to be Herzog.

23. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    What kind of scouting is he going to do after May 27? Aren't all the leagues over?

I guess he'll go to Ghana v. Netherlands on May 31 in Rotterdam.
    Actually, Portugal plays Greece the same day in Lisbon. But Ghana is higher priority, being our first opponent.

Germany plays Cameroon on June 1 in Mochgengladbach, and then plays Armenia on June 6 in Mainz.

I'm not sure these friendlies will tell us more than the actual WC qualifiers.

24. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    There was a screenshot floating around from the Inside series on ESPN that had the schedules for our opponents along with the scouting assignments. I believe that Berti's assignment is Ghana and Herzog is Portugal. I don't think Germany had anyone listed.

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I wonder if whitey herzog is pulling for new zealand.

TheLostUniversity repped this.