Berti Vogts has been named special advisor to Klinsmann for the World Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Mar 30, 2014.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-national-team/2014/03/140330-mnt-adds-vogts.aspx

“We are absolutely thrilled to have Berti join us as an advisor,” said Klinsmann. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience, both as a player and a coach, and he knows what it takes to succeed at the highest level. He was my coach for Germany in the 1990s and we have a great relationship. Through his time as the head coach of Scotland, Nigeria and Azerbaijan, he is obviously very familiar with our opponents in the group stage of the World Cup, and for us this is a huge bonus.”

In his role as Special Advisor, Vogts will aid in the development of training plans, help prepare scouting reports, and travel to observe matches of the USA’s opponents in the lead-up to the tournament and in Brazil.

“As we move toward the World Cup, we are shifting some responsibilities within the technical staff that we believe will put individuals in areas of strength and provide us with the best opportunity to be successful,” said Klinsmann. -

This is absolutely awesome news, Props to Jurgen Klinsmann. . .

I am sure we all look forward to the technical and tactical adjustments this brilliant coach will make for our team going forward.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think this is great! His knowledge will def. be a help at the higher levels like the WC.

But I can see it now--if we succeed at teh WC it will be becasue Vogts was hired as a special advisor lol.

3. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    I don't think Vogts will be making technical or tactical adjustments for the USMNT. Herzog and Hamman already have their plates full scouting US players in Europe each week; it appears Vogt's is being added temporarily to scout USA opponents for the WC, in addition.

It was also announced that Tab Ramos will be replacing Martin Vasquez as Jurgen's primary assistant coach, so if technical or tactical adjustments are in the offing, it will be due to the difference between Ramos's and Vasquez's inputs, to which as fans we can only speculate.

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I suspect this is why we playing Azerbaijan.

The only downside is Tab Ramos being pushed up.

Soccerglue repped this.
  5. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Doesn't Tab already have a bunch of other youth soccer jobs and commitments atm?

6. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I have my doubts about berti. Guy is old, hasn't coached German soccer in 13 years. I don't really know how much insight he'll really be able to add. I'd rather hire someone who's working in German soccer now.

I wonder who will be assigned to scout each team. I'm guessing:
    Berti - Germany
    Ramos - Portugal
    Herzog - Ghana

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Don't underestimate old' knowledge.

Bolivia's NT coach who hardly did any good for the last 2 years was hired as my club's head coach recently. His ideas were considered 'dated' by many, same with tactics....but he took a team who was last place in a tough group of the libertadores to now on top with a win vs. Leon in Mexico (Copa Libertadores), a tie in Brasil vs. Flamengo...and on the verge of qualifying to the final 16 of the Libertadores with his 'old/dated' tactics and knowledge.

Don't sleep on experience...

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    My only fear is that he wont be central enough to the team.

He is slated to be a scout and I guess organize a bit, but there is no substitute for having him on the pitch working our boys.

JK takes his time, but so far: 1. MV gone, 2. questioning JJ's ability and hopefully 3. moving cameron to CM. With these 3 things he makes our team much better.

deuteronomy repped this.
  9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Are you telling me that our opponents haven't been scouted yet?

10. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Actually, they've just been reading all of our bs threads. We're all experts right?

swedust, keller4president and wixson7 repped this.
  11. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is he quitting the Azerbaijan job after we play them? How can he perform both duties for 2 countries at the same time?

No follow up from the journos... ranting a bit here, but it's disappointing the media we have. Sunday or not it can be pretty crap.

12. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what we need in US Soccer... More German efficiency. It worked wonders for NASA back in the day. ;)

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab Ramos as the number 2 is slightly terrifying.

Tom Collingsworth, comoesa, russ and 3 others repped this.
  14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    4 years ago, our players knew everything about the individual players they'd be facing. They knew what types of runs they'd make, they could predict what they'd do under pressure, the passes they looked for, the space they tended to occupy...our players t knew just about every tendency of players we'd be up against in the Group Stage, and it probably played a significant role in winning our group. That process took almost the full six months we had from the draw to first kick.

This coaching change leads me to believe that ground work had not yet even started, about 2 months before the world cup.

Tejas repped this.
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

"I love his sexy legs!"

deuteronomy repped this.
  16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berti Vogts

1. Legend at Borussia Monchengladbach with 419 matches and 32 goals as his only club he ever played for. He was named German "player of the year" twice.

2. 96 caps for Germany (of course at the time, West Germany) from 1967-1978 (this was a period when 100 caps was mostly unheard of).

3. Nicknamed "the terrier" because of his determined style, he is credited with shutting down Johann Cruyff in the 1974 World Cup final. This, of course, makes him a World Cup Champion, as a player.

4. He scored an "on goal" in the following World Cup against Austria allowing Austria to advance and Germany to end it's defense of the Cup. The game is known as the "Miracle of Cordoba". This was Austria's first win over Germany in 47 years.
    http://www.viennareview.net/on-the-town/city-life/the-cordoba-miracle

5. When he retired as a player, he immediately was hired as Germany's U-21 coach, a job he held until 1990.

6. In 1986, he became a full assistant with the national team.

7. He coached Germany from 1990, succeeding Beckenbauer, through 1998. Although Germany won the Euros in 1996, these were mostly difficult times, with an aging squad, and Vogts was hounded by the German press until he resigned in 1998.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1998/09/09/sports/09iht-rob.t.html

8. He was out of coaching for a while, but returned to coach Bayer Leverkusen, where the team earned Champions League qualification.

9. Since then, he has coached the national teams of Kuwait, Scotland, Nigeria and most recently, Azerbajan.
    He was rehired by Azerbajan, who were pleased with the results he produced.

10. His real name is Hans Hubert

As a player:

[​IMG]

Coaching for Scotland:
    [​IMG]

17. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yes, Martin Vasquez is Out . . .

http://soccerly.com/article/auxerre/klinsmann-adjusts-us-staff-adds-vogts-and-ramos-drops-vasquez

Less than three months before the World Cup begins, U.S. coach Jürgene Klinsmann made significant changes to his staff, bringing on World Cup winner Berti Vogts as a special adviser, promoting former U.S. national team star Tab Ramos to assistant coach and dropping longtime deputy Martin Vasquez.

. . . transitioned to other responsibilities for USA soccer:
    http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...uffles-coaching-staff-adding-major-firepower/

Thank you for your service, Martin . . .

18. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Interesting. This seems a little late in the game for such changes, but it certainly makes me feel better.

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    How do you know that about 2010? I completely believe it, just curious.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which part makes you feel better?

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I suspect Martin Vasquez will increase his responsibilities as a Mexico-based scout for the USSF. He's already been working in this area along with Carlos Juarez.

Prior to this there was speculation amongst media types that he was going to become the head coach of the US pre-Olympic program (there's a U21 team meeting shortly that will morph into the next U23 group for Olympic qualifying.)

22. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Not challenging your claim but wondering what source I missed on #2 above. What leads you to believe that (believe me, I would like to believe it too, as well as #3)?

EDIT: Ok, after poking around I see the discussions of JJ's stint in Turkey, that must be it. No reply needed.

23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'm guessing that he's not the "actual" number two, despite the title, but if he is... man, I don't know what to say.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Bob Bradley and some of his players talked about it in interviews. Bradley wasn't a tactical mastermind, but the man idolized NFL coaches like Bill Parcels. Which basically was exhaustive scouting and prep.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sounds like Klinsi had a tough self examination and realized that getting beat 2-0,3-0, 5-2 in group would not suffice to b.s. everybody about what a great future lay ahead.

Vogts might have been brought on board earlier. At this stage he is likely to be a good critic but it is hard to see how he could reform the team's defects in the limited time available. Too far behind the curve to make the turn...:eek::eek:

Adiaga Two repped this.