Benny Feilhaber now sits behind a 17 year old at NE?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by supercooper, Sep 15, 2012.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, while I agree this has hardly been a banner year for Benny, or Adu, one thing has to be kept in mind. NE and Philly are out of it. Literally. Like in baseball (when the actually expand the rosters in September), this is the perfect time of year for teams who are out of it to look at what younger players can do. The coach knows what the guys who have been starting can do. He knows the team isn't playoff bound, so he gives some of the younger guys a chance to develop.

Not saying this is 100% the reason Benny and Freddy got benched, but I suspect it has something to do with it. Now, when next season rolls around, and they are still on the bench, that is trouble.

gmonn and soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    this is how I remember it. He was played in the midfield but showed some naivety and the team lost defensive discipline.

3. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Landon, Demps, and Jozy have the same skill-set as Adu and Benny.

gmonn repped this.
  4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Probably less than the older, slower Blanco, who in his couple of years was easily one the the best players in the league and on the short list for MVP.

Riquilme>Blanco=Schelotto>>>>any "CREATIVE #10" the US has ever produced. Blanco fit in well almost immediately, while GBS took some time because he was playing chess while his teammates were playing checkers.

Benny has skill and vision, but NOT at the level of the above three players. If he did he would certainly be starting somewhere and for in the NT, especially given JK's preference for a possession team.

5. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schelotto starred in 2008. That was around the time Adu was still in the league. The league is much different now than even in 2006-08.

Ruquelme would struggle in this MLS. I watch the Argentine league, they play little defense and give a lot of space that they don't give in the MLS. Plus most MLS coaches want work rate more than all else.

6. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Dude, that is just plain stupid.

7. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it is not. Have you even watched JCR in Argentina lately or just remember what he looked like in his prime?

8. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait to Benny and Adu leave for the right league and team for a change. EJ tried to go to Mexico and got cut but in the MLS, he is the man. Gomez was a sub in the MLS but in Mexico he is a good striker. Those leagues have different things they value that's good for some and bad for others. The MLS is terrible for Adu and Benny. Adu still is producing though.

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dude, it's actually Juan ROMAN Riquelme.

And in the MLS... Riquelme would have the Ref's in his pocket. He knows how to play with physical players like those in our league. he'd pull a blanco and win EVERY call.

10. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always get the Roman and Carlos misplaced.

Riquelme last year was barely moving all too well but he did know how to use the refs to his advantage.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  11. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm Juan Roman Riquelme would be a BEAST in MLS.

12. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep... he wouldnt have ANY trouble with the physicality of the league...
    IT also helps too that he is a pretty tall guy, who knows how to use his body, and long legs to keep the ball away...

13. futbear

futbear Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Did Adu get the keys to the car in Philly or not ? I thought he had and did not drive the car well. Some claim he did not get the keys !! Which is correct ?

Also, Adu was one of the few bright spots in the US loss to Mexico in the Gold Cup. I noticed the Mex defence rushed to contain him when ever he got the ball.

Germany's Podulski is above average for his club side but when he plays for Germany, he becomes some how better. May be certain players are better in big games/qualifiers/tournaments than week in and out on the club side.

14. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    I'm pretty sure they gave him the automatic starter, but not the actual car keys.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  15. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Am I the only one who giggles at the title of this thread? Immature, I know.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  16. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. He never had the keys to the car in Philly.

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not an MLS problem.

Hamburger, Derby, Aarhus, NE, and now the bench. With repeated reports of blow ups with his coaches.

Much less talented players with great work ethics and a closed mouth have achieved more stability (and quality stability) in their careers.

j0osh repped this.
  18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both have underachieved and don't really have anyone to blame for MLS being the best option for them when they both came back.

However, I do think the allocation process screwed them, and they should have been able to negotiate with MLS clubs of their preference, in which case neither would have ended up on such poor teams. I do think the retarded allocation rule screwed them both more than the league itself.

IMO, both players have to shoulder blame for their current situations and subpar performances, but at the same time the allocation does play into the shitty situations they find themselves in. I'd caution against other former or current NT players coming back to MLS if they don't have much control over ending up in places like NE or Philly, while other internationals get to negotiate with whomever they please. If Freddy/Benny were free to negotiate with Sea, RSL, NY, LAG, SKC or DCU, maybe a couple others, they'd most likely be in better situations and our NT might be better for it. Maybe not. But it's ridiculous how they had little choice in the matter than to be sent to two of the more incompetent clubs in MLS.

19. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To set the record straight, he did not sit in favor of Fagundez. Fagundez plays as a forward for NE.
    Heaps preferred Ryan Guy to Benny. Inexplicable. When he came on in the second half he could have had a hat trick. But he didn't. That's the problem. He's not putting up the numbers, and he's obviously frustrated, along with Heaps and the fans.
    He was more effective last year under Nicol. So I wonder if this is more a Heaps problem?

He'll be somewhere else next season. Heaps doesn't rate him and Kraft will want to dump his salary.

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Think he'd do well at Chivas to be honest. They play more of his style plus they have a decent team in the making.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually im starting to think that Chivas USA and Portland wouldnt bring him in because of his salary.

Everyone and their mom with any cap room was in the Marcus Tracy lottery. guys like Califf, Bolanios, Sharlie could be eating a ton of cap room. i really dont know.....

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    On some level I just couldn't resist a little chuckle there. ;)

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't matter how horrible the team is you play on. If you're a talented player then you put your head down and work hard, and your talent will be apparent for everyone to see. Then you play out your contract and move on to a better club.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the extent to how horrible your team is matters. It's not nearly the only factor in a players performance, but it sure as hell matters. So does coaching. So does club atmosphere. So does competition for spots in the lineup. So do tactics. So does your diet. So does your workout regimen. There's a long list of things which effect a player. It also can work the other way as well, where varying circumstances can make a decent player look better than he actually is.

Nothing I've posted in this thread is an excuse for Freddy. But his situation is also not anywhere near as simple as you try to make it, in three sentences, lol.

soccaisthecoolest repped this.
  25. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually the simplest answer is the right answer.

That being said, I don't think the fan's and media's expectations of him have helped at all.

If no one put these levels of expectations on him maybe he has a very nice career in Philly and we don't have to have these conversations.