Benito Floro (and son) to coach Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Moaca, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Tks to KTF at Vs for headsup

Benito Floro and son heading to Canada
    Commit for four or five years
    Pico Diego. Valencia 07/04/13

Benito Floro will again pack up and cross the Atlantic to coach Team Canada. A failure to specify the duration of the contract, which is four or five years, the former coach of Real Madrid among others, will make his fifth adventure abroad after training in Japan, Mexico, Ecuador and Morocco, although it will be the first time to lead a national team.

The Spanish coach, who plans to close the deal in the next few hours in the capital of Spain with the Canadian Soccer Association, will have his son in the coaching staff.

2. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Benito Floro Sanz (born 12 June 1952 in Gijón, Asturias) is a Spanish football manager.

Managerial career

During his professional career, Floro managed Albacete Balompié (two spells, starting off in 1989 in Segunda División B and leading the club to a first-ever La Liga promotion in just two years), Real Madrid (winning the Spanish Cup in his first year), Sporting de Gijón, Vissel Kobe, Club de Fútbol Monterrey, Villarreal CF- he had already coached the Valencian in the third level - RCD Mallorca (leaving the Balearic Islands side after just a few months after being appointed in the 2004 summer) and Barcelona Sporting Club.

In 2005, he briefly worked for former club Real Madrid as director of football, then switched to sports commentator, with Telecinco.

Teams managed

Years Team
    1978–1980 Silla
    1980–1983 T.or.rent
    1983–1984 Dénia
    1984–1985 Gandía
    1985–1986 Alzira
    1986–1987 Ontinyent
    1987–1988 Olímpic Xàtiva
    1988–1989 Villarreal
    1989–1992 Albacete
    1992–1994 Real Madrid
    1994–1996 Albacete
    1996–1997 Sporting Gijón
    1997–1998 Vissel Kobe
    1999–2001 Monterrey
    2002–2004 Villarreal
    2004 Mallorca
    2009 Barcelona SC
    2011–2012 WAC

3. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Report: Former Real Madrid manager Benito Floro to coach Canadian national team
    TORONTO - The Canadian Press Jul. 04 2013

A report in Spain says veteran Spanish manager Benito Floro will be Canada’s next men’s soccer coach.

Marca, a Spanish national daily sports newspaper, says the 61-year-old Floro is Canada’s choice.

Floro has a lengthy resume that includes managing Real Madrid from 1992 to 1994. Most recently he coached WAC (Wydad Athletic Club) Morocco.

Canada has been without a full-time coach since Stephen Hart stepped down last fall following the national team’s exit from World Cup qualifying. Colin Miller is currently serving as acting coach at the Gold Cup.

The Canadian Soccer Association plans a major announcement at a news conference Friday.

An association spokesman declined comment on the Marca report.

4. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    The former Real Madrid boss has revealed that he came close to taking the Roja job prior to Luis Aragones' appointment in 2004
    Khalis Rifhan Goal.com EXCLUSIVE Feb 28, 2013

Former Real Madrid boss Benito Flores has revealed that he came close to becoming Spain coach in the wake of Euro 2004.

Luis Aragones eventually took the post vacated by Inaki Saez, who had recommended the 60-year-old for the post upon taking up a role with the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF).

“After the European Championship in Portugal, the coach [Saez] resigned and he became director of football, and he recommended [to the RFEF] that I became the new head coach of Spain," he told Goal.com.

“He recommended me due to my vision of the game and [how] my playing style fit in well with the way the youth teams were being prepared, which was the main reason for the massive success of the Spanish national team.

“But unfortunately, due to circumstances that were beyond my control at that time, it was not possible.”

Floro went on to discuss the high standard of coaching instruction in Spain, in which he plays an active role as a mentor.

“Fifty years ago in Spain, the federation created a school for coaches of the highest level with highly qualified instructors of the highest level in the three most important aspects of football - strategy, technical ability and physical preparation,” he explained.

“Because of this, the standard of coaches in Spain is very high due to the difficulty levels of the coaching courses in Spain.

“Sooner or later this had to yield its fruits, and people now understand that it is much better to play an attacking combination game instead of say, counterattacks or long ball attacks.

“My work as a coach and instructor isn't for me to judge; however, it is evident that what I have learned from my instructors, I put into practice on the field and with aspiring coaches that I myself instruct.

“A coach has two important missions: teach his players to improve on an individual basis daily and also to teach his team to play whatever way they need to, on any kind of pitch, in any kind of circumstances to obtain the desired result."

5. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who is Benito Floro? Looking at the new coach ahead of today's appointment

Pragmatic disciplinarian with a psych degree. Just what we need?

6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would counter that with an interview Floro did with Goal.com.

http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/4655...7248/i-almost-became-spain-coach-benito-floro

7. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stunned by this hiring, in a good way.

Is he coaching at the Gold Cup?

8. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    At his presser, it was mentioned that he doesn't officially take over until Aug. 1st. He will be at the Gold Cup as an observer but will have no contact with the team.

If anyone outside of Canada is interested in watching the whole thing (25 minutes), you can find it here. I don't think it's geofenced but I could be wrong. I'm really stoked about this guy...I gotta think his CV is better than half the managers who are still in the Hex.

9. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Let's hope he will be able turn things around obviously there are going to be a lot of work to be done. I wonder what he thought about Canada game today.

10. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

themodelcitizen, Scorpion26 and DavemTFC repped this.
  11. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bit late getting in on this. The fact that he's been much less active over the last decade is concerning. He also has very little concacaf experience. But it's still an impressive resume, and exactly the type of manager we needed. Even if he fails, which still absolutely shouldn't happen, it's still better to take a chance on him than hiring Yallop or Miller or anyone from the CSA

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    I agree entirely with what you said there!

13. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't like the fact that has quit on his teams and because they showed lack of effort or what ever excuses height of had. This is a different game compared to the club situation. He better be up for the challenge and persist with the group of players currently and future. He will have time let see what he does with it for the national team.

14. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    What we need is a Jack Donohue type coach to come in and be the "Father" of Canadian soccer. If it's just a foreign coach airlift to appease the "Eurofans" who think Canadians aren't capable it could end in disaster like La Morace.

The successful person will be the one to change the whole development system, men, women and coaches. For him to be successful in my eyes is not to get us to the WC but to help develop a string of Canadian coaches to pass world class knowledge to the generations to come and perpetuate the cycle.

15. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Floro might be thinking this for real after this game geez Canada... Miller said the right things but the mentality of the players showed other wise. Floro if your ready for this challenge and ready to persist with this team I hope you can up with a solution.
    Let's hope Floro will be willing to be the father of a new generation of soccer managers/coach... Canada needs it for real....

16. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Quite surprised at this hiring to be honest...It's refershing to see that the CSA has decided to give the nod to someone who's had no previous involvement with Canadian soccer.Let's hope that he can turn things around for us...We desperately need it!

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This, I believe, is his first time managing a national side, so he's lacking experience there.

He does, however, have coaching experience in Mexico, so he has some CONCACAF experience. He also coached in Ecuador, so that's some additional Latin American exposure.

I say this as I think it's pretty clear that our main roadblock is our ability to take on the Central American teams, especially on their home turf.

18. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Any news for a friendly next month?

19. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think they're probably looking at the September window at the earliest but even that can be tough as teams will be involved in WCQ.

20. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada will play two games in September. I'm not sure the opponent but can't wait for the squad to begin this Floro era.

21. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Another lost but that doesn't matter I don't expect this team to beat a European team just yet. At least would of hoped a goal to have happened and you know it's bad when Canadian player can't convert a pk.

22. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    January camp for Canada and mainly the young players have been called up. Even Cyle Larin from UCONN has been called in.

Any news on his behalf is he staying in college or moving abroad to start career? Now that we know he's not going to play in the MLS.

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If he was called into camp he would have to leave school for the Winter semester. So this could make him ineligible for the fall semester and season.
    Being freshman of the year is a pretty big deal and with CMT building through the youth would landing in Ottawa to play for the Fury be a good option. It would keep him in Candada close to home and still be able to start a pro career at a very young age

24. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wonder if he has offers from European clubs will see what he does.

25. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Interesting news Larin might still sign with MLS according to SBI.