Benfica tv on dish network

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by SLBCarlos, May 6, 2010.

1. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Canal televisivo chega aos EUA
    ASSINATURA DE CONTRATO

O canal televisivo do Benfica vai chegar aos EUA. A assinatura do contrato de distribuição entre o clube da Luz e a DISH Network Corporation vai ser assinado dia 20 de maio, quando os encarnados se deslocarem àquele país para defrontarem o New England Revolution.

Este protocolo resulta da promessa feita por Vieira na viagem que fez aos Estados Unidos, em fevereiro passado, onde inaugurou cinco casas do clube. "A Benfica TV é um projeto estruturante para o clube, uma ferramenta que permitiu valorizar a nossa marca. Quero que a nossa televisão possa chegar aqui. Vamos começar a internacionalizar a Benfica TV", disse, no último dia da visita, antes de regressar a Lisboa.

Vieira aproveitará para conviver com os adeptos benfiquistas residentes naquela zona, estando marcados um jantar para Boston, a 20 de maio, e outro para Toronto, no dia seguinte.

2. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nice! What package will it be on?

3. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    most likely with the "luso pack" spt/sic internacional, sicN, rptinternacional, euronews.

4. O Diabo

O Diabo New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    And when do you guys think Benfica TV will be broadcast...?

Viva o GLORIOSO! Campeoes! CAMPEOES! Nos somos CAMPEOES!

5. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Has anyone heard at what cost per month? (not that I'll be subscribing to this channel!:eek:) :D

I'm guessing $9.99 a month for the channel...

6. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    no way. i believe they will just put the channel on the "LUSO PACK" with spt/sic internacional, sicN, and rtpi. its just a way for dish network to get more costumers.

even if you have to pay for it won't be more than 5 bucs a month.

do you have the new portugal red jerseys on sale yet??? with players name and #'s.???
    and when you going to have the new benfica jerseys for next season, ??? benfica showed them today.[​IMG]

by the way outcome you didnt have air horns in the store on ferry??? the cans by itself don't work. better get some for the wc. can't celebrate without them.

ps. if you don't subscrive for this channel, i will stop buying jerseys etc.. from your store. LOL

7. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    to CSD.
    hopefully you'll have these scarfs at the store soon. can't wait to get them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Viva Portugal

Viva Portugal Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Toronto - GTA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    if u guys have IKS box u wont need 2 pay:p

9. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ...they would if they were caught :eek:

10. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There is no way that this channel is just going to be added for nothing - that's absurd and not the greatest business sense. IMHO, I think that a starting point will be $9.99. Also, I'm not so sure that they will be able to broadcast league or european matches as those rights are sold on a country by country basis. For example, in Canada TLN held the Europa League rights; in the US, GOLTV and DirecTV shared those rights. Matches shown on RTP were not shown on RTPi due to rights issues. That should hold true with this channel as well. It may be broadcast on a delayed basis, but I doubt it would be live...

11. Viva Portugal

Viva Portugal Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Toronto - GTA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    u cant get caught...u gotta know how to cheat the system;)

12. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    The channel will probably show Benfica pre-season games, as well as some Taca de Portugal and Taca da Liga games. They might repeat games from all other competitions a day later or something. They will probably also show classic Benfica games and Benfica games from other sports (futsal, basketball, roller hockey, etc).

13. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Again, it will depend on the rights situations with the Taca de Liga and Taca de Portugal. These rights are held by the bigger TV companies in Portugal, so I don't think that these will be shown live on this channel. Nonetheless, as you've indicated I am sure that the pre and post season friendlies will be shown, and the league matches should be shown on a delayed basis.

I must admit that I am surprised that this channel is being offered in the US, only because I'm not so sure that that fans will pay for a channel that will show (for the most part) delayed matches. That's the main reason why other clubs with dedicated channels (i.e. Real Madrid, Manchester United, etc.) have not broadened their horizons beyond their own borders. It will be interesting to see how fans react to the opportunity to access this channel on a TV carrier in North America...

14. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i don't believe it will be a paying channel, specially for now.like in portugal.
    but we'll see.
    about european matches they won't be broadcasted in the channel. even repeats(they show in the channel in portugal) because they don't own the rights for North america.
    also taca de portugal and taca da liga they can't broadcast it live because they don't own the rights to it. maybe just the repeats.
    but repeats are also good, specially for us here in the N.A. most of the games are around 2,3,4 o'clock in the afternoon. so if you missed it because of work etc.... you can always watch it later. that's whats good about it.
    Liga games can't be shown live on BENFICA TV in Portugal. but here in North America if DISH NETWORK wants they can put the BENFICA liga games on BENFICA TV, because DISH NETWORK owns the Portuguese League games rights here in the United States. the same way DISH puts the liga games on spt/sicinternacional here in the U.S., they can put it on BENFICA TV here in the U.S.
    but makes no difference if the BENFICA games are on BENFICA TV or SPT/SICi. because most likely they will be in the same package. the only good thing about it was that it could open another a spot on spt to show another liga game going on at the same time.

about BENFICA TV, from what i've seen in the PC. they have BENFICA's futsal, hockey, basketball etc... games live. they show the youth system(juniors) games live, they show benficas team practices live and the liga game repeats, benfica "classic" games, they have different kinds of talk shows(debates and those where people call to give their opinion), game shows, kids shows in the morning, NEWS, exclusive interviews with famous benfiquistas, players etc..... and backstage access to the benfica world, before the games and after the games exclusives etc... etc....

15. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    those teams that have a channel like barca and real etc... they don't work as a "real tv channel" they just show repeats of games and interviews with players a couple hours a day. actually barca tv is shown on fox soccer channel.

16. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm sorry, but if you think you are going to be able to access this channel for nothing, you're dreaming. I don't mean to sound so harsh, but Dish Network is a business, one that likes to make money. They aren't in the business of offering channels for nothing. RTPi is available for FREE on AMC4 for anyone with a 33' dish and a FTA box, yet Dish Network charges you $5 to have it on their platform. Why in the world would they just offer a channel for free? Not going to happen...

Like I said, it will be interesting to see if fans are willing to spend money on a channel that will be broadcasting delayed material. If you're a fan of certain modalidades like futsal, andebol, etc., perhaps you'll enjoy the channel. Also, like you mentioned, getting delayed matches on a time that is best suited for you would work, too, but wouldn't you perhaps already have watched that match on SPT? Live Liga Sagres/European matches are definately out of the question. The days of RTPi showing European matches like they used to, even a few years back with the UEFA CUp, are gone for now. This channel will continue that trend...

17. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Segments of Barca TV are no longer shown on FSC. Segments of MUTV and Chelsea TV are still shown on Setanta Sports Canada - including repeats of their league and European matches on tape-delay however keep in mind that Setanta Sports Canada holds a portion of the Champions League rights here in Canada.

Real Madrid TV, Barca TV, MUTV - these are actual channels, real TV channels offered on platforms in their respective countries. Again, I believe that because of the rights issues they never did bother to offer their channels overseas...

18. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i get your point. but if they charge for it like you say 9.99 not alot of people going to sign for it. so they won't be making that much money, because if people don't have dish yet, they are not going to switch to dish to pay 10 dollars more for a channel.
    and if they charge for it, i don't see how dish can get exclusive rights for the channel. then benfica could just put the channel on cablevision like spt/sicinternacional.

now you look at it the other way. these companies(cablevision, dish, direct tv etc...) make their money by getting new customers, and to do that they need to offer people more/exclusive channels for less money than the competition and not by ripping their existing customers off = losing costumers.
    dish networks buys the rights of the benfica tv in the U.S. like they do with sicNOTICIAS(exclusive only on dish network) ,and they put benfica tv in the "luso pack".
    now you can attract and get more people that have cablevision, direct tv, verizon fios etc... to switch to dish network = you have to sign a 2 year agreement, you have to choose a package that best suits you (classic bronze100, silver200, gold250 or platinum) + you need to get the "luso pack"extra 25bucks

i believe this way they can make more money.

if they charge for it it won't be more than 5bucks a month. maybe they will put the channel in the "luso pack" and instead of paying 25bucks a month for the pack, they will increase it to 30bucks a month for the pack. that's also realistic.

19. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    there's an article on yesterdays 24horas newspaper (mourinho on the cover) on pg 5 that says benfica TV will be broadcasting starting JULY. and will be on the LUSO PACK or you can get it seperate.

www.24horasnewspaper.com

20. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Benfica TV em terras do Tio Sam em Julho
    2010-05-21 06:02:37
    Fonte: O Jogo
    Luís Filipe Vieira formalizou ontem, numa unidade hoteleira em Providence (Rhode Island, Estados Unidos da América), o protoloco com a DISH Network para distribuição do canal Benfica TV nos EUA. "A existência da Benfica TV só faz sentido se for global", vincou o presidente duante a cerimónia. Para o líder do emblema da Luz, a estação oficial do clube "pode e deve ser um embaixador do país", daí que tenha sido escolhida a parceria com a maior distribuidora para a comunidade lusa nos Estados Unidos. Vanessa Teixeira, gestora de marketing da DISH Network para o mercado português, vinca que "o canal do Benfica acrescenta emoções".

As emissões arrancam a partir do mês de Julho, por sete euros mensais para quem não assina o pacote luso. Os assinantes deste pacote de canais nada mais terão de desembolsar e o canal chegará gratuitamente às casas do Benfica nos EUA.

21. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    so the broadcast will start in july on dish network.
    it will be FREE for the people that have the LUSO PACK
    and 7euros (+/-9dollars) for the people that don't have the LUSO PACK and just want the BENFICA TV channel.

GREAT NEWS. awesome deal

22. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I already have the luso pack..so awesome

23. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Sounds like Sporting envy :rolleyes:

I beleive the current league games contract runs out in 2012. After that I assume Benfica will carry their own league games.

As far as European matches, I assume they will air some of them because last year they only aired Benfica's Europa League matches if they were playing an English team I believe.

24. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    great news man! I guess you were right about the channel being free with the Luso Pack....cant wait to see those classic matches!

25. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hardly - if I could care any less, I would...