Ben Lederman at Raków Częstochowa (Poland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Clint Eastwood, Apr 18, 2011.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Re: Ben Lederman at La Masia

Let's not get overly dramatic, on the street? never to be heard from again? I'm sure his parents love him. If he does get dropped from Barcelona he's coming back to the US system he can thrive in. Or get dumped to Arsenal or Espanyol. Of course we have no way to know his future but to be blessed with his young talent and for that talent to be recognized by Barcelona will allow a life experience for him to grow upon - success or not. He's in fact alot further ahead in his desired life adventure then most. Life should be about pursuing your dream and not worrying about success or failure.

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously, what is the percentage of 12 year old Barcelona academy players who have professional careers? Is it like 100%?

I'm seriously asking.

3. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY

That would be one interesting statistic. But its almost impossible to follow each 12 yr old over a 10 yr period. If they bring in approx 60 and drop 80 every year that's approx 1400 players to track most at various clubs around the world. I doubt 100% just due to normal attrition of injury, burnout non soccer related. I bet its higher than most of the top 10 clubs in the world.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I remember the 4-4-2 story that said 95% of academy players in England don't end up playing professionally.

The "failure rate" of most clubs, including Barcelona, is probably very high when it comes to youth players. The story in 4-4-2 dealt with the fact that a large number of these failed youth players haven't done the necessary studying/training to do much else after they're dumped out of football as 17-18 year olds. They barely went to school. They don't have a plan. They suffer from significant levels of depression. And on and on.

We just need to let Ben percolate over there free of expectations for a few years. For Christ's sake........he's 12.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

If you're so concerned about Ben being discussed then why did you start this thread?

6. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

There are always arguments in England about kids being released from clubs too early. Most of the kids in academies are studying some type of sport related course (usually coaching) which is great but its also pretty hard to break into coaching.

Jon-Paul Pittman was in Aston Villa's Academy as a youth player for 4 years before spending the majority of his youth career including his "scholarship" at Nottingham Forest. He then bounced around on loan until going to the 5th division and working his way back into the Football League. I've been seeing a lot more kids released going down to League Two, Conference Level, or sometimes even lower just to get guaranteed playing time.

7. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999

Here's a huge list of where ex-Barca academy players played last year. Unfortunately it doesn't say how old they were when they left Barca. I think the bolded players are ones that made it to the first team:
    http://www.blaugranas.com/ex_canteranos-itemap-69-1685-58.htm

The whole thread has a lot of info as well.

Here are Barca youth rosters down to U10 from nine years ago, if anyone wants to do a where are they now:
    http://www.oye-comova.com/Chiquito/Futbol_Log/09_LaMasia/07_Presen/02_03_Presen.html

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It might be more relevant to only compare him to other foreign players. I'm sure the vast majority are locals, as with most academies, it's far more rare for someone to be brought in from another country.

9. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Percentage wise I don't know, but on reputation, Barcelona produces great youth players for Barcelona, that don't necessarily do well elsewhere. This is a generalization subject to obvious, notable exceptions, of course (and let's see how Bojan does this year). Madrid otoh has a reputation for the opposite. None of its youth players make it through to the senior side, but become stars for other teams.

Also some more Spanish updates on Lederman:

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barc.../1105146.shtml

Lederman is the only new face from the U.S.:

"En cuanto al origen de las 79 caras nuevas de la cantera, hay que destacar a seis llegados directamente de tres continentes diferentes. Desde EE.UU., el medio Ben Lederman se unirá al Alevín A procedente de la Academy PB Los Angeles; desde Corea del Sur reforzarán al Infantil A Lee Seung Woo y Chang Hee Kyul y desde Japón será Takefusa quien haga lo propio con el Alevín C o D. Quienes vieron a los dos coreanos durante su prueba en la Ciutat Esportiva dicen que son dos fenómenos."
    (just a list of where the new canteranos are from)

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/201108...194829266.html

10. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

This really stands out and I think it can only be view in a favorable way for Ben.

11. barca2000

barca2000 New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    1 person likes this.
  13. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The last I've heard about him (about 2 months ago) is that he's playing with the Alevin B team. The team above Alevin C where he was supposed to start. The word was that he's scoring and assisting in just about every game this year.

14. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I found an interesting stat on the La masia wiki that said of all the players to have stayed at La Masia(meaning those not from the surrounding area, only those that could not commute), 10% have made the first team. Thats not including those that have made it elsewhere.

15. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's his age group. The Alevin A/B squad is mainly 2000s, the C/D squad is mainly 2001s. Next level up would be Infantil B.

20. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Normally, the Alevin A squad doesn't have photographers waiting for them in the airport after a tournament in Poland. They shared a plane back with some Spanish swimmers though.

21. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks. And how unusual is it for a player at the academy to play up in age at Ben's age? Does it ever happen?

22. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's very rare for a player that young (Alevin)to play with Cadete B, for example. However, as the players get a bit older there is more movement.

23. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks again. And from the examples I've seen, even at the Cadete level movement is rare outside of a move from B to A. For example, even Messi played half a season with Cadete B, then moved to A. However, the next year he played on every team from Juvenil B( for one game) to the senior team in friendlies.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Did you hack his phone to get that picture?