Ben Lederman at Raków Częstochowa (Poland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Clint Eastwood, Apr 18, 2011.

1. marionthebarberian

Sep 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Ben Lederman at La Masia

*scratches head*

did you really just say that?

2. alexanderjs93

alexanderjs93 Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This quote is the attitude that really pisses me off about Barcelona. All the "Mes que un Club" BS that permeates the organization aside (tell this Mes stuff to the Qatar Foundation), the other thing I despise about Barcelona is the transfer gossiping, tapping-up, and meddling that they peddle in. Wenger bought Cesc and gave him the chance that Barca didn't, and now that he's a proven product, they feel like they can have him back for less than any other club would pay (I am thinking of their paltry bid in the summer)? Give me a break. Barca IS trying to pry Cesc away on the cheap using head games, despite the fact that Arsenal gave him a shot, Wenger named him the captain, and Barca let him go. Barca has no "claim" on him any more that any other club who ponies up the cash at this point. I wonder what happens when Newell's Old Boys comes calling back for Messi. It's a credit to Messi that he is playing for Argentina and not Spain, considering all the lobbying and dirty tactics that permeates the sports culture and was probably directed at him.

3. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think this thread has strayed away from "the farm" :D

4. alexanderjs93

alexanderjs93 Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea, sorry about that... I just can't stand Barca. But they do develop players, so good on Ben for getting in! Hope he matriculates.

5. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just don't see Barcelona being any more arrogant or dishonest than any other of the biggest clubs, despite the fact that, given their accomplishments over the past six years, if anyone had grounds to be at the top of the arrogance pyramid, it would be them.

Anyway, whatever you think about the team's attitude, if you don't think they've got the best academy in the world, you're just kidding yourself.

6. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The 1 in a million shot is getting into La Masia. Getting into La Masia as a central midfielder is more like 1 in 5 million. Coaches do not give a kid an extended run there unless they think highly of him. That alone speaks well of his potential.

As for the arrogance or humility of Barcelona, they are both. They are damn good and they know it. As a club and as players, they are extremely confident. They believe they are the best players in the world. But they are humble in the sense that club comes before the player, and that is drilled into their youth.

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

none of this is true

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They aren't really worse than any of the big clubs, but this all came up because somebody was implying that they were better than all other clubs in terms of arrogance.

9. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007

You're buying into the media hype. This is a golden age and once it passes Barcelona's academy will be looked at just like any other(like it should). They haven't achieved anything more then Madrid's academy, United's academy, Clairefontaine, etc. It's no different then any other youth academy. For every Xavi, Iniesta, etc there's three maybe even five failed La Masia products that are shipped off and never heard about again just like any other academy. The Neville brothers, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, etc all broke through at pretty much the same time but United's academy doesn't get anywhere near the same amount of hype because it was never bigged up like La Masia was.

It doesn't matter where he came from. If you want to sign a player whether or not he came from La Masia you don't do it by putting a Barcelona jersey on him and constantly making remarks about it by talking to the press. That's not really showing the "humility" that La Masia is supposed to instill in these "humble" players.

^^^See my first reply to gmonn^^^ Don't buy into the hype people!

10. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

Don't be silly. The team is managed by a youth product, starts 7 of their youth products, with more on the bench, with their top transfer target being another youth product. Eight of them won the last world cup, and another one won the last two balon d'ors, with two others coming in second and third the last time.

Golden generation, sure. "Media hype" is absurd.

11. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

So we know he was offered a 2 year deal but is he actually going to go? Or in other words are his parents willing to move to Spain to make it happen?

12. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007

It is media hype. When Man United had their "golden generation" coming through United's academy was rarely mentioned if it all. La Masia is mentioned all the time when these players are talked about. It's funny you mention the balon d'or as proof that it's not hype when it was absurd Wesley Sneijder who was integral to Inter Milan winning a treble and leading his team to the World Cup final wasn't ahead of Xavi, Iniesta, and hell even Messi(it was a World Cup year after all and he didn't do shit with Argentina).

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is an absurd claim and is simply not true. I plead to you to drop this in this thread and let us focus on this youngster's great opportunity and recognize that it is indeed quite an achievement.

Best of luck to young Ben.

14. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This has been a sustained pattern for like 15 years. Guardiola, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets. The only reason younger guys aren't making their impact is because their spots are taken... by former academy prospects. By all accounts, guys like Thiago Alcantara will be more than ready to fill the void if need be. There's just this fusion of Dutch and Spanish style that they grow there that is unique. And you also never know when a guy like Pedro will suddenly surface at the age of 21-22 seemingly out of nowhere from their academy. And you're probably right that Wesley Sneijder should have been in the top 3, but even saying that 3 of the top 4 are Barca products is pretty crazy.

15. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes. He and his family have accepted the offer.

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Yes it was mentioned at the time - non-stop. It hasn't been mentioned much in the 15+ years since because United's academy hasn't produced much in terms of starting XI regulars at United, or at any other top-flight club in England or abroad. John O'Shea and Wes Brown (when he's not crocked) and that's about it at United and Danny Pugh and Danny Higginbotham )now at Stoke)

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Oh, there is Jovan Kirovski :D

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

Fletcher?

19. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

When eight Man Utd youth help England win the world cup, let's have this conversation again.

1 person likes this.
  20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This kid is like 10. Sounds like a Rossi in the making :).

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

You got me :eek:

A player that's too easily overlooked

22. barca2000

barca2000 New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Barca kids are very humbled exectly like the older squad .
    Knowing ben Lederman I can say that barca made a great choice by taking this kid.
    He is humbled with unbelievable talent with the best work ethics that older don't have.
    I hope for him that the family will make the move ,I said 2 years ago that he can be the next iniesta and I am not joking.
    He is playing on the best u 11 team In the southern california called LA SAMBA who played up at the last mic cup in Spain and lost quarter final to man u.
    Guys you should realy watch that kid and I hope he will stay humbled
    Very very very spacial kid

23. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So. Anything new? Is Lederman there or did his parents decline (which I could never blame them for doing so.)?

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
  25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana