BeIN Sport cont.... AGAIN

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Cantona, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Beautiful_Game

Aug 19, 2012
    Football Paradise
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8/30/12 Article from the Washington Post:
    "The new channel launched Aug. 15 and features Spain’s La Liga, Italy’s Serie A, France’s Ligue 1 and England’s Championship tier. It will also carry South American World Cup qualifiers and CONCACAF qualifiers, including two U.S. away matches this fall and, assuming the Americans advance, every final-round road game in 2013, except the Mexico visit.
    Non-soccer events are also in the long-term plans.
    At the moment, beIN Sport is available on DirecTV and DISH Network only. However, Comcast, the nation’s largest cable provider, has agreed to add it to its lineup soon and Time Warner, the second-biggest provider, is being lined up.
    Until additional announcing teams are set, Schoen and Hudson are calling most of the matches. Hudson said they handled about a dozen games over four days last week.
    With beIN Sport presenting the U.S. vs. Jamaica qualifier next Friday night from Kingston, Hudson will probably have a chance to call his first USA match. (The producers will make the final decisions, he said.) He has done studio work for American games – he worked stateside for ESPN during the 2002 World Cup in South Korea/Japan -- but never called the live U.S. action.
    Until beIN Sport’s operations are humming along, Hudson figures he will do his thing while watching a monitor in Miami. Next year, though, he and Schoen could end up on location."

2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    So Uverse negotiations is supersecret, however Time Warner's is not?

Man, I just wish this damn nightmare would end. I wish Uverse could let me know if they won't have this by the second week in September. At least that way I can make the change now.

3. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    From the article: The network is committed to covering international sports like soccer, rugby, volleyball and track and field. In that sense, it is unlikely to rival ESPN, CBS or the other major American networks that pay billions of dollars to carry baseball, football and basketball.

Makes sense. If they are going to pay people to carry their channels, they better put the HD clause in the contract, otherwise, you are paying for nothing.

Can someone explain the difference between sd and hd channels for carriers? How much more does it cost to carry an hd channel?

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an issue of bandwith. It's takes more bandwith for a provider to transmit an HD signal than an SD signal.

With DirecTV their satellites have a finite number of transponders, these transponders transmit the signals the boxes decode. Each transponder can hold a certain amount of signals. If it's HD it'll be less than SD.

6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the NY Times article:
    This is indeed the million dollar question--speculation has been rampant on this thread as to what exactly they are trying to accomplish and how overspending on carriage and content fits into tthat strategy.

7. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're going to go the niche international route, then i hope for goodness's sake that they bid for Aussie Rules (Australian Football League). One of the most exciting sports i've ever seen. Miss the days when it used to be on Fox Sports World. ESPN has presented the yearly final only at very odd hours the last few years.

8. Amir Panah

Amir Panah New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    San Diego, California
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If AT&T were waiting for other carriage deals to be done so they could add all the channels to their lineup on the same day, then should it be added today? Because they just added the longhorn network to the lineup...

9. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Does anybody know if Dish plans on adding that 2nd beIN channel? In other words, the channel that is 620 on DirecTV.

10. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there a lot of ads on Bein Sport? (half time, pre-game and the likes)? and are the ads repeating a lot?

Two ways for Bein Sport to get revenue

1) carriage fee
    2) ads revenue

11. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--

I am hoping soon because Colombia -Uruguay is supposed to be on that channel.

Also Argentina-Paraguay.

12. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Have you heard/read anything on this?

13. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  14. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    It's on their Facebook page under TV listings and their website as well. They put next week's schedule up for a change.

TWC is seriously close to the finish line(and has been.) People are flooding their customer service with bein requests. I'd bet this thing goes through in the international break. Looks too late to get the whole thing running before the Jamaica/US WCQ. Too bad.

15. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    It is also on their official website now that you mention it.

I hope Dish adds the Espanol channel.

16. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Any update on Uverse?

17. FBNR

FBNR Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just got a message on my comcast receiver, bein sports is launching on 9/6.

18. El General

El General Member

Jun 22, 2006
    It will be available on Comcast on September 6 for me. Got a message on my cable box.

19. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully there are a lot of PennyTalk ads!!:p

20. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    No ads at all. Only spots for other BeIn matches, programming, and short interview clips with Messi.

21. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then it appears that the channel is being completely bankrolled by the Sheikh's money.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to a twitter post from them this morning, expect another carrier announcement this week.

23. Itaintrite

Itaintrite Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Awww, so not in time for Barcelona vs Valencia match this afternoon? Booo ;P

24. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Two questions:

Is Verizon still refusing to negotiate? If so - is Comcast adding beIN in HD? If so, I'll switch this week.

25. MastequilaSD

MastequilaSD New Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Probably an announcement that Comcast will start broadcasting on the 6th. At this point I don't hold out any hope for anything else. If you think about it logically, the channel is throwing money at the carrier, why wouldn't they carry it? If they don't at this point I cannot see why they would anytime soon.