beIN SPORT 1 CANADA - speculation thread (Canada specific info ONLY)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Canadasoccertv

Jul 10, 2012
    Ontario,Canada
    I just noticed today. Sportsnet has opened a Sportsnet World package on channels 370-381 on Rogers digital cable. (Sportsnet World,Sportsnet 1 & Ontario is included along as well with those channels)​
    I am thinking it could be either for Cricket or Barclays Premier League TV package with other games usually on Saturday's at 10am ET.​
    I am still not sure on the details but i find it strange that this is open now with 10 days before the season starts.​

2. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if this were the case all of Oliver's talk about needing canadians to staff the show would be irrelevant.

The truth of the matter is Oliver doesn't know shit. He makes guesses based on information that's not complete. This would be fine if he didn't try to pass off his speculation as fact. It would also be fine if he answered the tough questions but he just ignores them. He tries to force himself inside, but he'll never be an insider because he's just a nutcase.

See, here's one of the tough questions he can't answer. He tries to by saying "accounting tricks" but such accounting tricks are unlikely as it hasn't been done yet in the history of CanCon requirements. If the big boys of Canadian TV haven't been able to do it all this time how is some new group that's completely ignorant of Canadian broadcasting going to do it?

He's full of shit, and has absolutely no credibility.

toshiaki and TJNash repped this.
  3. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Overflow EPL matches on Saturdays at 10am ET would be my guess so that EVERY EPL match on Saturdays at 10am ET will be in the same neighborhood.

4. Canadasoccertv

Jul 10, 2012
    Ontario,Canada
    That's what i am thinking as well but Rogers hasn't announced anything yet with 10 days before the season starts.

5. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    The Score is not out of business. Unlike BeIn, as of today it is a profitable channel. I might add, The Score is also not Rogers. I also might add that a prospective BeIn Canada cannot take anything from Fox Soccer's broadcast, because someone else has the rights to said broadcast in Canada. $8 million is also much less than $50 million.

Here's the deal: what you, with your starry-eyed, "high-stakes poker" approach, fail to understand is simple motivation. I have no doubt the sheikh is a very rich man. But buying TV rights for the sake of buying TV rights is stupid. He has to have a plan to do something with those rights: either making back his money in Canada (unlikely with these figures) or obtaining some sort of externality (bankrupting rivals, obtaining an "in" for Al-Jazeera or other properties, etc.). Overpaying for soccer rights will NOT bankrupt anyone in Canada except GolTV (very, very small fish), and the heavily regulated TV landscape in Canada precludes him from using the Category B channel he might get to do anything other than show soccer. It's a dead end for him.

I want to hear you say: this is how the sheikh will make money in Canada by overpaying for soccer rights. Unless you have an answer, we have to assume that the sheikh is a) an idiot that doesn't mind losing money or b) a wise man that has made misguided investments that he will can as soon as the rights cycle allows, or even earlier (ask Málaga CF).

Sportsnet World is a $20-a-month premium channel that no one watches. Spending $50 million to put it out of business is idiocy.

toshiaki repped this.
  6. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Please READ CAREFULLY before you fire your bullets.

I wrote that Score Media's soccer unit is now out of business. Producer Thomas Dobby left 2 weeks ago (and Thomas.Dobby@sportsnet.ca is a valid email address that does NOT bounce.) Brendan Dunlop left last week.

SCORE MEDIA (not beIN SPORT 1 Canada) can pay a fee to FOX Soccer LLC (USA) to take FOX Soccer's broadcast of the 2012 FIFA Club World Cup straight through instead of producing its own telecast if the cost of the taking FOX Soccer's broadcast were lower than production costs.

Trans-border sports TV production deals happen all the time, in BOTH DIRECTIONS.

NBC Sports Network pays Bell Media a fee to take selected NHL and CFL telecasts from TSN straight through in order to save money.

I honestly do NOT have enough information yet how Sheik Hamad Al-Thani will make money in Canada with beIN SPORT 1 Canada.

I do know one way Sheik Al-Thani can make money in the U.S. with beIN SPORT 1 USA (by loading it up with college sports in order to force its way into digital basic or expanded basic tiers to reach over 60 million subscribers at $0.30/month/sub), but Youssef apparently has other ideas.

I have no idea how beIN SPORT LLC will make back $84 million in U.S. rights fee and the roughly $8 million in rights fee (or $2.7 million/season) in Canada to Serie A when FOX could not make money at $10 million/season (that's why FOX only bid $6 million/season this time) and Score Media could NOT make money with Serie A at $500000/season (before sublicensing matches to TeleLatino.)

On the contrary, Sportsnet World reportedly averages 90,000 viewers for the Sunday 11am ET EPL matches. That tells me that Sportsnet World has at least 90,000 paid subscribers at $17/month.

On a per-capita basis, Canada is a much stronger market for EPL than the U.S., despite the inflated viewership data that the BBM system in Canada produces compared to the Nielsen Television Index (NTI) system in the U.S.

7. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    Then stop throwing that $50 million figure around! It hasn't happened and by your own admission right there it doesn't make sense. Hell, BeIn Canada doesn't even exist, and you have these fantasies of the sheikh hiring hot Canadians and producing CanCon from Miami. Most likely the sheikh will bid about 20% over a low-ball Rogers bid, hemorrhage money for a few seasons, and leave whence he came.

You know what I get when I google "Sportsnet World"+"number of subscribers" to investigate this sourceless claim of yours? I get a post by huhe888 from April 2012 saying:
    I also found a post by yourself, in EPL talk, from May 29 saying that Sportsnet World has 50,000 subscribers.

Three months ago Sportsnet World was an albatross with 50,000 subscribers, which you judge a "small number". Three months later Sportsnet World soccer has an "average" of 90,000 viewers (presumably only a fraction of its subscribers) and it is "on the contrary" a worthy target of a $50 million hit job.

Preposterous.

toshiaki and TJNash repped this.
  8. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Again, please READ CAREFULLY before firing bullets. You keep missing key details. If you can't even read carefully, you have no business firing bullets.

The 50000 subscribers figure for Sportsnet World was outdated, from 2009. I had to correct that.

There is a difference between Sportsnet World the TV channel, vs Sportsnet World CONNECTED the news program.

Sportsnet World CONNECTED had a difficult time drawing more than 1000 viewers on a typical morning before the program was cancelled.

Sportsnet World draw viewers in large numbers during live EPL matches (over 90000 on some Sundays), but Sportsnet World CONNECTED could not draw flies because it aired on Monday-Friday mornings.

(Sportsnet World CONNECTED moved to 10pm Eastern Time only after the 2011-2012 EPL season ENDED. The show was cancelled on July 26 to make room for FOX Soccer News which will kick off on August 17, not from the Rogers Building where Sportsnet is based, but from Citytv Toronto at 33 Dundas Street East.)

9. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    You have to be joking! You said on May 29, 2012, and I quote verbatim for everyone to see, "Sportsnet World only has about 50000 subscribers in Canada", and in April you said in the post above that the number of "subscribers" (not, I repeat, *not* viewers) is "small". Where am I confusing viewers of the show with subscribers to the channel? Please indicate in big red letters, I apparently can't read right.

toshiaki repped this.
  10. IwantBeINsportsINcanada

Aug 8, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Can someone tell me when BeIN Sports 1 Canada will be available on Canada? I live in Quebec and I don't have any good soccer/football channels. The only I have is GolTV, who don't shows la Liga and the others leagues, Sportsnet 1 East who don't really shows soccer... and the TSN/TSN2 ... Can someone tell me when BeIN SPORTS CANADA will be launching ... because I want to see Barcelona's and Liga BBVA matches....

11. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We should know in a week or so when BeIN Sport Canada will launch. The important date seems to be August 16 for many of these networks to get their act together. Just keep watching this thread.

12. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    EuroWorld Sport (EWS) currently has the following products via sublicence from CBC:

August 19-September 8: FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup from Japan (early mornings)

September 22- October 13: FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup from Azerbaijan (mornings)

November 1-18 - FIFA Futsal World Cup from Thailand (early mornings)

Nothing between November 2012 and June 2013 when the FIFA U-20 World Cup from Turkey starts.

http://m.fifa.com/aboutfifa/calendar/events.html

(I am assuming that CBC will keep the FIFA Confederations Cup for itself.)

EWS will be a complete joke if TeleLatino were not able to cut a deal with beIN SPORT LLC.

13. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    EWS already is a complete joke. It's on one carrier and no one watches it. The question is whether the mothership (Telelatino) is sold enough on soccer that it will expend the money and effort of negotiating rights and then making a push to get EWS into more providers. I suspect the answer is no.

14. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    TeleLatino will sell 20% of itself to beIN SPORT LLC and let Sheik Al-Thani spend his money to blow Rogers away for the Canadian rights to EPL.

(You and I both agree that beIN SPORT LLC will instruct its Canadian partner to bid 120% of Rogers' "threshold of pain". The debate is where that threshold of pain is. $30 million? $39 million? If the Sheik believes that the threshold is $39 million, then he'll have to bid $47-50 million. )

Once EWS gets EPL, more than one carrier will sign up by August 2013.

But if TeleLatino were to blow this deal and beIN SPORT LLC decides to take its business elsewhere (i.e. Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment), then EWS could be toast.

Reminder:

The focus is EPL, EPL, EPL.

La Liga, Serie A, and Ligue 1 are all side shows. They were NOT worth much if anything to TeleLatino in recent years (Serie A was worth at most $250,000/season, Ligue 1 was worth $1/season. Europa League was worth around $1/season as well.)

15. IwantBeINsportsINcanada

Aug 8, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Will BeIN Sports 1 Canada will be available on Quebecor Media?(videotron,bell)

16. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    Sportsnet World is a tiny operation that makes Rogers about $1,5 million a year before tax. The threshold of pain for Rogers is certainly neither $30 million nor $39 million. If you count the marginal value of the Saturday morning EPL game on Sportsnet proper plus whatever profit they get (if anything) from leasing games here and there to others, anything beyond what they are paying now+3 million verges into lunacy.

Rogers will not get into a ludicrous bidding war on soccer, because it is literally not worth it. If push comes to shove, Sportsnet World will die or be rebranded and priced down as the rugby/cricket channel.

EWS will not get EPL with its current level of market penetration. EWS will not get (a modicum of) market penetration without La Liga and Serie A. Cart before the horses.

EWS already is toast. It is a station with no viewers outside of the GTA and very few inside it. It showed soccer games that it bought in a fire sale. No fire sale, no games, no one loses sleep over it.

If the sheikh wants to even bid for the EPL, he should not be negotiating, he should be throwing himself at Telelatino not today but several months ago. If that didn't immediately work, he should move onto GolTV, same strategy. If that didn't work either, he should be thinking about cutting losses and subleasing it to big boys. It boggles the mind that this guy overpaid for TV rights but is stingy about where to show them.

toshiaki repped this.
  17. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Sheik Al-Thani, Nasser, and Youssef want everything to air on a channel named "beIN SPORT".

In Canada, that means everything beIN SPORT LLC wants to air must be on beIN SPORT 1 Canada.

There are only 3 available options:

1. Convert EuroWorld Sport (after buying 20% of TeleLatino Network)

2. Convert GOLTV Canada (after buying the 19.9% stake currently held by GOLTV, Inc.)

3. Apply for a new CRTC licence for a soccer-centric TV channel

Option 1 is the quickly way to achieve the goal, but is probably the most expensive

Option 2 is more difficult because GOLTV, Inc. doesn't really want to sell its 19.9% stake except at a significant premium

Option 3 is the slowest and the most difficult, as competitors will file multiple interventions to attempt to block the licence application.

18. toshiaki

toshiaki Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That might be one of Oliver's greatest "I've been caught with my pants down" blow offs ever.

19. toshiaki

toshiaki Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Your delusional ideas about how BeIn can make money in this fashion have been shredded to bits by various posters in the BeIn-US threads. Please don't try to con our good Canadian Posters and Readers that you have any more credibility on that aspect than you have on BeIn making money in Canada.

20. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    At this point, I have buried any thought on how beIN SPORT LLC will even make an attempt to try to break even in the U.S. or Canada during its useful life (before the June 2022 expiration date.)

beIN SPORT 1 (USA) will be a government-owned operation that will have no net subscription revenue and immaterial advertising revenue in the near future (next 12 months if not longer.)

One should not expect anything to be different for beIN SPORT 1 Canada.

Once EPL starts on both channels, the advertising revenue will start to roll in.

EPL matches routinely draw over 100,000 viewers on Sportsnet and Sportsnet ONE each Saturday. The viewership should not be that different if TeleLatino were able to carry the overflow match on Saturdays at 10am ET (while leaving the 1st pick on beIN SPORT 1 Canada.)

21. toshiaki

toshiaki Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Advertising revenue for EPL soccer is chump change. Especially if you're a fringe network like BeIn.

Even Fox Soccer, which has the mighty Fox Empire behind it, had a less than stellar lineup of advertisers.

Unless you think that World Soccer Shop is paying Fox tens of millions for those ads.

22. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Budweiser

Shell Gasoline

Castrol Motor Oil

State Farm Insurance

Allstate Insurance

Geico Insurance

Capital One Credit Card

Red Stripe Beer

Captain Morgan Rum

Verizon

AT&T Mobility

DIRECTV

Chevrolet

GMC Truck

Acura

BMW

Audi

Continental Tires

Kumho Tires

etc. etc. etc.

One example for you:

Entire broadcast of Seattle Sounders vs Cal FC (Eric Wynalda's amateur outfit) from June, complete with commercial stream, so that you can watch the ads yourself:

23. Hellas04

Hellas04 Guest

Sorry but option 3 is not possible as beIN is a foreign company. The CRTC will only approve their application if they have setup a Canadian subsidiary that contains Canadian shareholders who hold the majority of the voting shares. They also can't buy EuroWorld Sport or GolTV Canada for the same reason- foreign companies are only allowed to own up to 40% of a Canadian service.

I don't think partnering with GolTV Canada will be easy as this channel will soon be jointly owned by Bell & Rogers and I don't think Rogers will be very keen on partnering up with the Qataris who are looking to steal away all their soccer content?!

toshiaki repped this.
  24. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    TeleLatino Network President Aldo di Felice has been in pole position to clean up on Youssef for weeks.

Now that Youssef has panicked in the U.S. by giving away beIN SPORT 1 USA to DIRECTV and DISH for at least 12 months (if not longer) by paying fat launch fees, Aldo has to be licking his chops.

Ditto Bell TV and Shaw Direct, both of which will be asking for fat launch fees when (not if) TeleLatino (or another Canadian media partner) comes to the negotiating table to cut a satellite TV distribution deal for beIN SPORT 1 Canada.

The way things are going, Sheik Al-Thani will have to spend $750-800 million in rights fees alone if he wants EPL on beIN SPORT 1 Canada and beIN SPORT 1 USA.

25. toshiaki

toshiaki Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Give me a live EPL game from this past season. List all of the advertising slots for the 2 hour block, and list the specific ads in each slot. Then identify which of those are Fox national ads and which are local carrier ads (by TWC for example).

Then take a random SEC football game from this past season on CBS, take the two hour block from 4:30 to 6:30 PM ET. List all the specific ad slots, each of the ads that aired in those slots (including repeats), and identify which are national, local and local cable ads.

You'll find that:

* there are far fewer ads in the EPL game... as in not even close
    * the ads in the EPL suck relative to the SEC ads

Well... why bother taking something old. The EPL season starts in two weeks, and the SEC on CBS starts in September. Comeback at that point and do a little comp.