beIN SPORT 1 CANADA - speculation thread (Canada specific info ONLY)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, Jul 12, 2012.

1. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    August 16 is the date, not August 31. Everything have been accelerated by 15 days.

2. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Highly likely that the producer in charge of beIN SPORT 1 USA's Express Weekend will be a Canadian citizen so that the entire 8-hour block of matches, news, and highlights will be counted 100% as Canadian Content under CRTC rules even though the entire production will originate from Miami. That means beIN SPORT 1 Canada can take the entire block straight through without modification.

(Only issue: beIN SPORT LLC apparently does NOT have Canadian rights to the English Football League, as those rights apparently have gone to Rogers Sportsnet for broadcast on Sportsnet World.)

3. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    FFS, Canadian Content rules cannot possibly be satisfied by hiring two Canadians, no matter how senior, and sticking them in a studio in Miami. Other than the rules that are actually written down, CanCon has become a child of the unions (we have those here, eh!) and the notion that you can run a rogue "Canadian" station from Miami without the cities of Toronto and Vancouver (where shooting stuff with cameras is a major industry) and the entire province of Quebec making a little aside and having a quiet word with the CRTC is ludicrous.

Read this with special attention to I (a), I (c) and IV. Depending on how Telelatino shows the games, you can have lower CanCon requirements in terms of % of air time, but not in terms of relaxing what constitutes Canadian

Alternatively, find me one TV show of any kind in the last 20 years that has satisfied CanCon while being produced and taped abroad. Thank you.

toshiaki repped this.
  4. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Well if you look at La Complex is filmed in the States but is mostly all Canadian i might be wrong but i think it does fall under cancon as for Canada yes Vancouver and Toronto are used a fair amount but so is Ottawa and some other citys.

5. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

f) Sports events: at least one major on-screen position must be filled by a Canadian.

Done. Express Weekend will have a Canadian host.

According to the 6-point system:

Director - 2 points
    Screenwriter - 2 points
    Lead Performer
    (or first voice) - 1 point
    Second Lead Performer
    (or second voice) - 1 point
    Production Designer - 1 point
    Director of Photography - 1 point
    Music Composer - 1 point
    Picture Editor - 1 point

Having the senior producer direct the studio show as well (by keeping the show simple) and a Canadian host who writes her own copy (as the "screenwriter") will account for 5 points out of 6 (83% Canadian Content) if the CRTC will not certify the program as 100% Canadian (despite having a Canadian producer in charge) after review.

Hiring a Canadian studio pundit for the studio show (i.e. Bobby McMahon if he were willing to work relatively cheap, or some other Canadian) would account for the 6th point as the "2nd Lead Performer", making the entire studio show 100% Canadian Content even if the CRTC will not certify the show as Canadian based on the "producer" criteria.

Remember that Express Weekend is NOT really a live sports event program (based on CRTC interpretation) because no live sports event video will be shot by beIN SPORT LLC. All the live match video will come from host broadcasters abroad. Express Weekend is a studio show that wraps around 4 live or delayed matches each day.

Note that CNN U.S. has plane loads of Canadians on camera as anchors or correspondents for the purpose of satisfying Canadian content rules, despite NOT having a studio in Canada.

--

The entire discussion will be moot effective August 2013 (or sooner) once beIN SPORT 1 Canada sets up a Toronto production hub.

It may make more sense for beIN SPORT 1 USA & Canada to originate entirely from Toronto with the sole exception of having Phil Schoen and Ray Hudson calling certain matches from Miami.

--

Moral of the story: if you speak English and you want to work on the production side of international soccer telecasts for cost-conscious production company in the U.S., having a Canadian passport is now a plus, not a minus, if the production company wants to produce one telecast for broadcast in both the U.S. and Canada.

6. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    You are leaving out the 75% costs criteria. A show produced entirely outside of Canada cannot fulfill CanCon rules unless it's something like two Canadians doing improv puppet theatre with one camera against a black background.

That's BS. Skilled Canadian workers find their ways into top US firms in all walks of life regardless of CanCon. Given the production costs and personnel of CNN, I don't think there is a single show that fulfills CanCon, let alone the station as a whole, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong with a source. CNN has a licence to air its US signal in Canada, same as other major US networks (NBC, hell, even PBS is in my cable roster).

Barring that magic source of yours, CNN does not, never has, and never will satisfy CRTC CanCon rules.

This is the only thing you have written that makes sense.

Again, no one has ever fulfilled CanCon without having production at least partly in Canada. You cannot fulfill CanCon from the US, or, believe me, commercial stations here that hate CanCon (all of 'em) would be trying like mad. The notion of Canadians moving en masse to the US to produce a soccer show and getting jobs because they are Canadian is ludicrous.

toshiaki repped this.
  7. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    That's why accountants exist.

There are more than one way to skin a cat.

Again, this is a short-term situation for beIN SPORT 1 Canada during the first year of operation. Once the Toronto hub is operational, there won't be any need to play accounting games with the CanCon rules as studio production can shift from Miami to Toronto.

8. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    Yes, and I am sure the CRTC has mighty good ones that are exceptional at catching just what you are implying. Judging by the amount of CanCon shows produced in the US, I'd say they have a 100% success rate.

Find me ONE example of a CanCon show that is not at least partly produced in Canada. One. If you think BeIn Sport can do this through creative accounting, why are mammoth operations with intimate knowledge of CDN market rules (note that BeIn is neither big nor knowledgeable at this point), such as Rogers, Bell or Quebecor, not doing it right this minute? You still think CNN fulfills CanCon?

toshiaki, 7spencer7 and TJNash repped this.
  9. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Do you think BeIN has tried to purchase a piece of The Score and made that into their channel instead of Euroworld Sport? I know the The Score has regulations about being a sports highlights channel but they show live events all the time.

10. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Setanta Sports Canada got away without any CanCon for years (other than re-airing Sportsnet's SoccerCentral) before the requirement went up to 30% and Rogers Sportsnet was forced to launch Setanta Connected on the cheap.

Express Weekend on beIN SPORT 1 Canada will meet both the Canadian Producer requirement and the 6-point Personnel requirement (2 points for the director if the producer were to double as the director, 2 point for the screenwriter who doubles as the host, 1 point for the host, 1 point for the pundit)

I'll let the accountants figure out how to meet the 75% cost requirement.

11. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The Score airs mostly North American sports events. It is not a good fit for beIN SPORT LLC.

EuroWorld Sport is the best fit for beIN SPORT LLC.

Buying 20% of GOLTV Canada will be tricky as GOLTV USA does not want to sell its 20% stake.

12. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    First, Setanta had to start CanCon because they switched licence type from PPV to Category 2, now Category B. The "requirement" didn't "go up". Rogers effectively asked for a new channel, with different conditions, and then gave it the same name.

Second, I am not asking whether you can get away without CanCon. Anyone that has ever turned on a TV in Canada knows you can do this with the appropriate licence; and if you don't have CanCon demands you don't need to make your longwinded posts about hot Canadian anchors and producers doubling up as scriptwriters and whatnot. Your Setanta example has nothing to do with the important questions here; your CNN example would be at least relevant if it were true that CNN has to comply and complies with CanCon, which is false on both points.

The question is whether, when you already have a CanCon-demanding licence (i.e. Telelatino, GolTV), you can meet CanCon producing and filming outside of Canada. This is the question you have to answer.

toshiaki, Mido Madrid and 7spencer7 repped this.
  13. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    There are some cases where some channels don't have to have any cancon so it could be possible that Be in sport could apply for a brand new channel and maybe hook up say with Shaw.

14. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    Also, note that as of today EuroWorldSport is a terrible fit because it is carried by only one provider (Rogers) in four provinces (generously counting South Ontario as 100% of Ontario, which is not quite true). No one in Quebec, British Columbia or Alberta (2nd, 3rd and 4th in population) can see this channel. Half of the population of Canada cannot get this channel. If you think soccer viewership is heavily biased towards cities because of immigration and age demographics (your vaunted 18-34), citizens of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th largest cities in Canada cannot watch this channel.

toshiaki and TJNash repped this.
  15. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Rogers is in most of Ontario includes of course Toronto but Ottawa as well plus they are on the East Coast as for Eurosport the thing is if they rebrand it you will see more and more interested in it such as Bell/Shaw.

16. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rogers/EuroWorld Sport is not available down here in Southern Ontario which is a huge soccer market in Canada because of all the immigrants. TLN has to get EuroWorld Sport on Bell and Cogeco in the coming months.

17. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    Again, this is a timing problem. It took Bell one full year from launch to add GolTV, despite the fact that Rogers had GolTV and Videotron had added six months later. And this was after incredibly aggressive campaigns (including free 3-month previews in the middle of the European season, I remember because I had a couple of those and they were pretty sweet). Satellite providers took way longer, my in-laws in not-South Ontario only managed to get it a few years ago.

If La Liga and Serie A start with no carriers, hardcore viewers will go to streaming (which has improved a lot since GolTv's 2005 launch) and casual viewers (the vast majority) will be lost to the EPL or will lose interest in the sport. Ditto if they start with EuroWorld only, except they may get to keep some Rogers subscribers although not all if they price it over GolTV (i.e. at Setanta or Sportsnet World level). Either way, it will be a disaster; the sheikh is undoubtedly better off buying/rebranding GolTV Canada by drastically overpaying to overcome GolTV US's reticience than losing the entire GolTV viewership, subscriber base and carrier base.

And no "October 5 deadline so they can show an October 6 clásico". If in October 5 I found out I need to switch providers to watch a game the following day, even if I didn't take a financial hit (which I would), and even if I could get the channel (which I can't with EWS), I WOULDN'T F***ING DO IT BECAUSE I CAN'T SWITCH IN TIME!

toshiaki repped this.
  18. Canadasoccertv

Jul 10, 2012
    Ontario,Canada
    Livesoccertv.com has posted both channels of BeIN Sport USA 1 & 2 under the Canadian section of channels.

Any thoughts?

19. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    TeleLatino is playing its cards very close to the vest.

I doubt that Livesoccertv.com is getting anything out of TeleLatino that neither you nor I can.

I would leave Aldo and co. alone and not bother him too often given this will likely be the biggest deal he will do in his professional life.

20. Canadasoccertv

Jul 10, 2012
    Ontario,Canada
    Email response from LiveSoccerTV about the additions of BeIN Sport channels on the Canadian section.

Hi Andy, channels on LiveSoccerTV are assigned based on their acquired geo-broadcast rights. We will likely be revising these 2 channels as we await some feedback from operations at beIN. Stay tuned.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

21. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Don't lose sight of the big picture.

EPL, EPL, EPL.

Serie A, La Liga, and Ligue 1 are side shows.

EPL is the main event starting August 2013.

Rogers Media knows by now that it will be blown away at the FAPL rights auction in October, as Rogers knows by now there is nothing Rogers can do to stop beIN SPORT LLC. Not even bidding 100% of what Rogers Communications as a whole (including both Rogers Sportsnet and Rogers cable) can collect in subscriber fees from Sportsnet World (up to $39 million over 3 years if you were to make ultra-aggressive assumptions) will be good enough for Rogers Media to retain the rights.

22. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    Implicit in my rant is the not-too-far-out idea that BeIn will not win EPL rights if come October they have bought rights to events that no one is watching.

Also, the idea that a package that is currently worth $6 million is going to be purchased by $50 million is risible. There is simply no way to make back that kind of money in Canadian markets. A bid for that amount will ring all the Setanta bells, since the EPL has already been screwed by lack of payment before. Owning TV rights is not like owning a club. You can make your club a vanity project and subsidize it indefinitely as a money-losing proposition. You can't do that with TV rights unless you are indescribably stupid and have nothing better to do with your money.

The idea that you can put Rogers out of the sports broadcasting business by overbidding for and winning the EPL is equally risible.

toshiaki repped this.
  23. Canadasoccertv

Jul 10, 2012
    Ontario,Canada
    Just got off the phone with TLN.

I've been told something could be announced in the next day or so or who knows also the programming schedule will return to normal in September. They are in a transitional period what i've been told & they are not sure on the rights issue etc

24. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    TeleLatino had assumed that it would have access to FOX Soccer Report through August 31. That was changed to August 16 once FOX and Rogers decided to accelerate the launch of FOX Soccer News.

August 17 is now the key date, not September 1.

Aldo should know that by now.

25. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    beIN SPORT LLC has already put The Score's soccer unit out of business (with the exception of the 2012 FIFA Club World Cup, which it can take FOX Soccer's broadcast straight through to save money) by bidding around $8 million for Canadian rights to Serie A (compared to Score Media's bid of around $2 million.)

Thomas Dobby left Score Media 2 weeks ago (presumably to Rogers Media to produce FOX Soccer News) and Brendan Dunlop left last week.

(Don't know yet where James Sharman and Kristian Jack will be headed.)

beIN SPORT LLC bid $84 million to U.S. rights to Serie A compared to the $18 million bid by FOX Sports Media Group. Serie A averaged only 54000 viewers on FOX Soccer on weekends (Saturdays and Sundays 2:45pm ET, some Sundays at 9am ET, and occasional Saturdays at 12noon ET.)

Sheik Hamad Al-Thani has a net worth of over $500 billion. He can easily earn $5-10 billion in annual passive income (interest and dividends) while he sleeps. Doing the math, he should be able to earn more than $50 million in passive income each week.

There is no way Rogers Media can compete with that kind of financial firepower.

Sheik Al-Thani knows that Rogers Media's threshold of pain for Canadian rights to EPL is somewhere around $30-39 million, and he will instruct Youssef al-Obaidly and his Canadian partner to bid accordingly in an attempt to obliterate Sportsnet World from the face of the earth. I expect a bid of $45-50 million.