beIN SPORT 1 CANADA - speculation thread (Canada specific info ONLY)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Glide84

Glide84 Member+

Jan 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I use a similar program for Netflix US, do you have to pay or is it just live all the time?

2. MarcoTFC

MarcoTFC Member

May 9, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I do have DirecTV! so I get BeIn. Not 100% sure about the details but that's how it works, just like you do with Netflix!

3. Fee-Go

Fee-Go Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Agreed. The cottage country specials (whities) in Canada are having a hard time letting go of their curling, golf and hockey even though the writing is on the wall that hockey in particular is suffering a slow death. The sponsorship dollars and corporate interest (whitie execs buy expensive box seats for their family and friends) continue to go to the NHL because white execs make those decisions, they have no clue about football (soccer).

As for beIN Sports, the truth is that Rogers and Bell have made significant investments in Sportsnet and TSN. My guess is that they are buying time trying to buy-out TLN or that soccer channel affiliated with it to broadcast soccer only.

So while Rogers and Bell try and figure out their soccer strategy in Canada, Canadians continue to suffer.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nicely racist. You'd fit right in over at the Mexico forum.

5. Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Aug 20, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    wow lots of people who don't have clue are posting in here.

Bell and Rogers have nothing to do with BeIn not being on tv in Canada. They are not picking up the channel because there is no channel to pick up.

You need to have a broadcast license from the CRTC in order to have a channel in Canada. The CRTC only gives out licenses to Canadian owned companies. BeIn sport is foreign owned company and therefore can not broadcast in Canada. Bell and Rogers have absolutely nothing to do with this.

The question you should be asking is why did BeIn buy the rights in Canada when they knew they were not allowed to broadcast in Canada and why did the football leagues sell their rights for Canada to a broadcaster who isn't allowed to broadcast in Canada?

All of the people in this thread who blames Bell and Rogers just look ignorant and stupid. Especially that asshole above who thinks the "whites" are conspiring to keep football out of the media. I have a roll of tinfoil here if you want me to come over and make you a hat?

6. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN all are on Canadian t.v. via Rogers/Bell/Cogeco/Shaw without being Canadian owned.

RTP comes from Portugal, also on Canadian t.v.

Your argument has a gaping hole in it, namely, if you aren't Canadian-owned, it doesn't mean that you can't be on Canadian t.v., it just means that a Canadian broadcaster has to re-broadcast you as a part of their system. That's all BeIn Sport had to do, get someone to pick them up, the same way Al Jazeera did.

I would love a tinfoil hat.

7. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Oh BTW I was just in the Dominican Republic, they had BeIn Sport there and it was GLORIOUSLY good, better than any crap SN has ever broadcast as SN, SN360 or SNW.

8. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    No, they need to get a licence from the CRTC. BeIn would compete with a Canadian service (Sportsnet World). Sportsnet would oppose BeIn so they wouldn't get a licence unless they arranged a Canadian majority partner.

CNN got licenced before there were any Canadian news channels. The networks and foreign language channels are a different kettle of fish.

9. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    So negotiate with Rogers and Bell and get a majority partner.

10. swan_ch

swan_ch New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    beIN Sports actually have three easier options.

a) co-op with Rogers and Bell (i.e. MLSE) and try to kick GolTV's butt (i.e. replacing GolTV Canada to BeIN Sports Canada)
    pros: a safer way since it already involved Rogers and Bell
    cons: as GolTV Canada is licensed as a all-soccer channel, so no handball fill-ins unless they ask for it, and they have to lost more control of the channel than the other options.

b) co-op with TLN and change their EuroWorld Sport into beIN Sports Canada
    pros: At least it's still there (it's still on MTS and Rogers Cable)
    cons: May seen a big oppose from Bell and Rogers and it's up to TLN to make the final decision.

c) co-op with Shaw and revived their Fox Sports World Canada into beIN Sports Canada
    pros: beIN Sports would be the biggest control of the channel and Shaw still hold the license until Aug. 2016.
    cons: Since the channel is official "dead", it may have a hard time to find a carriage besides Shaw Cable/ Shaw Direct; also, it might seen a big oppose from Bell and Rogers.

Of course: beIN can do it themselves, but it need to find a Canadian to do the push and it may faced bigger restriction than the above three options.

11. MarcoTFC

MarcoTFC Member

May 9, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    bottom line, fans in Canada will not be able again to watch Liga and Serie A, just because BeIn did not partner with any of the big ones (Bell, Rogers, Shaw) again, monopoly. In the other hand, Al Jazeera America is a half billion "petro-dollar" worth and hard to think they will partner with any of these. I can think they will be asked to air hockey and hockey news! just saying!
    GolTV are their competitors in the US and Goltv Canada is half owned with MLE.
    I think BeIN wants to do it themselves.Is their way or no way.
    BeIn and BeIn Español combined shows most La Liga matches (if not all of them) and Serie A and they just added Russian League. I don't think they will be willing to air TFC or Montreal Impact if they partner with any of the big ones.
    Until BeIn gets licensed to broadcast in Canada I will keep my DirecTV!

12. MarcoTFC

MarcoTFC Member

May 9, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Agreed, BeIn despite not having the best commentators it is GLORIOUSLY good compared to any SN.

13. MarcoTFC

MarcoTFC Member

May 9, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    It’s hard to believe that a few years ago it was deemed illegal for a cable or satellite company to own a television station, let alone a network.
    Bell and Rogers now co-own MLSE (So Goltv Canada), TSN (Bell co-owned with ESPN) and the list goes on. They always get their way when it comes to CRTC decisions! So over the years they have influenced (if not regulated) CRTC laws. Didn't Bell just buy Astral Media? "The regulated corporate monopoly trough monkeys have destroyed broadcasting". So basically they control who comes into the market and who doesn't. Soon CTV (Bell owned) might strip CBC from Hockey Night in Canada rights and perhaps there will be no free hockey! Not that I care about hockey but that's just an example.
    BeIn on its own will be a menace for them, reportedly BeIn will bid for EPL rights in the future.
    As by now it doesn't look like fans will get to see La Liga on HDTV. Messi and Neymar! Ancelotti managing Real Madrid! If anyone is interested I know a few websites that broadcast liga for free, just have to deal with pop-ups!

14. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    My understanding is that when Bell and Rogers balked at BeIN's bottomline about partnership then BeIN starting talking with TLN/EWS and that was the road they were taking. But after over a year of EWS airing pointless classic games which no one watches, I'm starting to wonder what the purpose of EWS bleeding money for TLN is if they can't finalize a partnership.

You want to know what would REALLY Fk up Bell/Rogers/CBC, if BeIn goes to the NHL and buys up those rights. You watch the CRTC scramble to allow BeIn to broadcast after the public outcry and politicians go ape-shit over the "unofficial" national game being only available in the U.S..

15. MarcoTFC

MarcoTFC Member

May 9, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    That's my point, obviously SN, GolTV Canada and maybe TSN will oppose to beIN (This is the monopoly we all are talking about and an ignorant says we are "stupid") Monopoly, no fair competition.
    Less than ONE month before La Liga kicks off!

16. swan_ch

swan_ch New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    Or will it be the case that beIN Sports just doesn't care about the fans right across the border? Nothing from either beIN or any provider in Canada are taking acting on TRYING to let the beIN Sports Canada become avaliable after beIN Sports had get the broadcast right of La Liga and Serie A. It's hard to believe the negociation (if there is one) would take that long for a Live Sports events.

17. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    It's not a monopoly. There is competition, just no foreign competition.

18. SymbolHazard

SymbolHazard Member

Aug 29, 2012
    So... Messi+Neymar+Iniesta and Ronaldo+Bale+Isco...

******** you Bein :)

19. MarcoTFC

MarcoTFC Member

May 9, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Not much to do with La Liga, Serie A or beIN Sports but it looks like Verizon is coming to Canada, according to Rogers publicity profits and jobs will go south the border! Whatcha guys think?

20. Fee-Go

Fee-Go Member

Sep 7, 2008

Maybe, but what I say is true.

21. Fee-Go

Fee-Go Member

Sep 7, 2008

In fact, quite the opposite. Since Rogers, Bell and Telus control the media landscape in Canada, they continue to buy up companies and lay people off. So the opposite is in fact true.

As for Bein Sport in Canada, this will only happen if Rogers and Bell buys Bein Sport Canada. And believe me, I guarantee you that the negotiations for this are happening (my hunch). Rogers and Bell hate competition, they're so desperate to monopolize Canada that they pool their money to buy companies in an effort to avoid competition. Then they'll turn around and charge Canadians that want Bein Sport $20 a month to get it!

Again, I guarantee you that's what Rogers and Bell are trying to do: get Canadians to pay $20 a month to get Bein Sport. Why would Canadians pay $20 a month for Sportsnet World when Bein Sport would be available as a free channel or simply an addition to a sports package? Rogers and Bell know this will thwart their plan for soccer domination in Canada.

Bell and Rogers own the CRTC, sure they let in Setanta Sport, they knew it was controlled by a small Irish company that was riding on thin ice. Rogers made it expensive for Setanta to come to Canadians, few bought in, profitability was low so Rogers pounced. Rogers bought them. Bein will never see the light of day in Canada because the big-3 do not want them here. They have little if anything to gain by allowing Bein into Canada, if anything they lose. They don't want competition for their crap football team, Toronto FC. They don't want to distract Canadians from their crap football coverage on 'TSN', 'Sportsnet', 'Sportsnet World' (formerly Setanta Sport), 'Sportsnet 360' (formerly 'The Score') and 'GolTV'. The only way Bein Sport will find it's way into Canada is if Rogers and Bell win in the end.

If Bein Sport comes into Canada as an independent channel, they would simply provide a lot more value for Canadians (La Liga, Serie A, etc). Why would Rogers and Bell and their uncle CRTC let them in? It's NOT in their best interest. THAT'S WHY Bein Sport is not in Canada. I don't care what excuse anyone provides, that is the truth.

My prediction: Rogers and Bell will pool their money and lease or buy Bein Sport in Canada. They will turn around and charge Canadians $20 a month to get it. This will ensure two things: that their investments in buying out all of their competitors does not go to waste! They spent a lot of money trying to corner and dominate the Canadian market by buying out GolTV, TSN, all the Sportsnet, Sportsnet World and Sportsnet 360. If Bein Sport comes into Canada on the cheap, this will thwart their efforts in total domination. Fact is that La Liga is extremely valuable (think Real Madrid and Barcelona), as is Serie A. I guarantee you that the final result will be that Bein Sport will relent in frustration and simply get whatever money Rogers and Bell give them for buying an interest in Bein Sport Canada. Roger and Bell will inturn charge us $20 a month to view Bein Sport Canada which is ridiculous compared to what the rest of the world pays.

22. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Extremely unlikely that they'll partner for a small channel like Bein. They are competitors and only work together in unusual circumstances.
    La Liga is not that valuable in Canada. Real Madrid and Barcelona have great players, but other than the Classicos, there isn't that much interest. Serie A is popular with the Italian community, but the League isn't as strong as it used to be and after all their match-fixing scandals it doesn't have many followers in the rest of the country.

Bein didn't get into the North American soccer market to make money (at least not in the short term). The very small audience who would pay $20 for that channel doesn't meet their goals.

23. torfc_93

torfc_93 New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    A plea to the Italian community who are subscribers or potential subscribers to RAI International:

I think we can all agree that BeIn Sport is a lost cause right now and to be honest with you, the way they’ve handled the situation I don’t even want to give them my business when they do launch in Canada.
    I think the next step is for Serie A fans in Canada (and even the USA) to put some pressure on RAI International to begin sending out an HD feed. I love RAI’s coverage of Serie A, its just the picture quality is awful and ruins any kind of viewing experience. With that being said, if RAI provided an HD feed in N. America, I know myself and many others would have no use for BeIN Sport and wouldn’t need to rely on them any longer.
    So I urge those Serie A fans out their who are subscribers or potential subscribers to send emails to the following addresses to ask RAI to send us the HD feed of their programming so we can begin enjoying Serie A once again:
    international@rai.it,
    distribuzione@rai.it

This might go on def ears, but at this point we have nothing to lose.

24. SymbolHazard

SymbolHazard Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Source:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bein-sport-celebrates-one-anniversary-looks-grow-beyond-010300355.html

Glide84 repped this.