beIN SPORT 1 CANADA - speculation thread (Canada specific info ONLY)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Welcome to mid-October. Still no beIn Sport Canada, still no La Liga, Ligue 1 (TV5 aside) or Serie A (PPV RAI aside).

Disappointing. I called Rogers the other day and cancelled my sports package...NHL, CBSCollege, WFN, Fightnetwork and Goltv. No point paying $11 for one channel which broadcasts mainly TFC content with the occasional Bundesliga or Mexico or Brazil league match.

Not sure what I'm more bitter about losing....Serie A on the Score/TLN, Ligue 1 on EuroWorld Sport (which is just a filler channel now) or not seeing Ronaldo on a lazy Saturday/Sunday afternoon while laying on the couch with an ice cold Corona...

In any event. Like I said in another thread, buying the rights to broadcast multiple leagues in a country should come with a positive obligation to broadcast those leagues, not the right to withhold them. Just as beIN Sport paid to broadcast these leagues, the leagues should have the right to fine beIN Sport for not carrying their product, and thereby damaging their brand. I can't think of one person that is happy about this situation. It's certainly not making me follow EPL (because that's all PPV now), but it is certainly making me think about a grey market dish/box so I can watch all of the above AND Liga Zon Sagres.

2. Don C

Don C New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I was gonna post this earlier but its better late than never. My friend at TLN just told me yesterday that TLN is testing the beIN Sport signal once again and are going to be marketing the channel online and on TLN next week...Now we all know TLN tested the signal before so I'm not sure what to make of this situation.

Also the fact that Canadians missed the Milan Derby and El Clasico this past week is going to make it difficult to get those viewers back. This whole situation is a giant mess and even if this channel launches one has to assume it’s the American feed which currently shows mostly live La Liga games and tape delayed Seria A and Ligue 1 games on weekends. I hope if TLN launches this channel they ‘Canadianize’ it according to our demographics and air a variety of live games and not just La Liga games. If any new updates happen I will be sure to keep everyone informed.

3. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    In what moronic universe are you living in where the EPL in Canada is on PPV?

4. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    I didn't know they had internet and t.v. in the Penal Colony. Mind = Blown!!!!

5. Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Aug 20, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No s
    No seriously, where do you live in Canada that premiership matches are PPV?

6. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    To be clear. I consider paying $20 per month PPV. I take it you don't see it that way. No matter. My point still is that these 3 leagues NEED to be on Canadian t.v., aside from the fact that they provide competition to Rogers, they also provide variety to those who aren't interested in the same old Premier league story lines: "Man City is buying X, Torres CAN score, Arsenal has bought a 12 yr old wonderkid from Barcelona, Arsenal is selling another key player to Man City, Tottenham may challenge for CL spots this year, Man Utd have a 100 million war chest to restock their midfield with Gotze and Reus. Liverpool is planning a new stadium, Everton sucks...etc". Gets annoying. I watch Prem since the days of Dave Seaman, nothing changes, it's just a new cast of "evil doers" now than back then. Back then it was foreign players, now it's foreign owners.

Forgive my anger. I enjoy the parity of Serie A and Ligue 1 and the comfort of watching CR7 slot away goals on a lazy Sunday afternoon. It's just more interesting to me. Just as we evolve and grow as people, are football viewing tastes grow and evolve.

I do think watching footy on t.v. should come with basic cable. Not a high-priced add on. If you want to grow the sport, you don't do it by hiding the stars.

"I'm entitled to my entitlements" - infamous politicians words.

7. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    How is paying for cable and/or the sports package any different to paying for Sportsnet World?

Oh, there isn't one. You are still paying to view.

8. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    I was getting more for my money with the Sports package: multiple sports, multiple leagues. Not one league.

What would you rather have, a all-you-can-eat buffet for $10 or an 8oz steak for $20. I'll take the buffet, at least then I can pick what I want to eat.

I'm not adverse to PPV, I'm adverse to taking things that were once on "free" t.v., regardless of whether it was on free preview or not, and taking them, slapping a price tag on them and then selling them back to you as if it's a new product.

Would I buy beIN Sport? Yeah. Would I be happy about it? Probably not, unless the price is insane. But I'll do it because at least I'll get the variety.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the value in Sportsnet World, when it's really Sportsnet England with a couple of premium* CL/EL games chucked in.

*I say premium, because IMO I do find the games I would want to watch, don't show up on SNO/E/W/P or /1, they show up on SNWL. And they of course do that intentionally.

9. Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Aug 20, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You guys do realize 'PPV' stands for 'Pay Per View', as in you pay each time you view a program? Sportsnet World is channel you pay a flat rate for regardless of how many times you view it.

Kryptonite repped this.
  10. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Sportsnet World shows more leagues than just the EPL, and shows more sports than just soccer. So, how is this any different to TSN or Sportsnet which you are also paying for? You might not want to watch rugby or cricket on SN World, but I don't like watching curling on TSN, but I still keep the channel.

I know this, but I don't think the chump above does. Just a term he uses so he doesn't sound cheap as not wanting to pay $20/month to watch his precious football.

11. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Yeah, what leagues does SNWL show of the 3 I listed? None. Because they didn't bid, or as you allege, they weren't invited to bid. :rolleyes:

Yeah my precious football. If it isn't precious to you I suggest you go back to Australia, throw some shrimp on the barbie and talk about aussie rules football while doing a cockamamie dance to "intimidate" your opponents. Because your opinion is a joke. This is bigsoccer not big anti-soccer.

I want football on Canadian t.v., you obviously don't given your constant pestering and quoting of me. You're content to pay $20 for english football, great enjoy your "discount" If I didn't know better I'd guess that you probably work for Rogers and your one of their online trolls.

Keep trollin' ok dingo boy.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  12. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
  13. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    They should partner with TLN. It will keep them away from the axis of evil Bell/Rogers.

However it appears EPL is prepared to sell EPL rights to both Rogers and Bell, so an exclusivity be IN Sport Canada hopes to have is bananas, as Rogers and Bell have 190 games for the next several years.

I say be IN should focus on La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1. EPL will always be the "most watched" league in the world, but it doesn't mean be IN can turn EPL fans into fans of other leagues, make them a little more worldly. If you didn't know who Eden Hazard was before he joined Chelsea...chances are you fall into that category.

14. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is so stupid now ... why have we not heard anything yet?

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Twitter and their Facebook page they've recently posted that they're in negotiations with providers to get their channel aired there.

16. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Negotiations take 4 months. :/

17. SymbolHazard

SymbolHazard Member

Aug 29, 2012
    This is getting increasingly annoying. I want to be able to watch Ronaldo and Messi in their prime (and tell my kids about it) but I can't because of this stupid channel.

How much longer.

18. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Whelp. This season is a write off.

19. MarcoTFC

MarcoTFC Member

May 9, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I got sick of this stupidness, all the politics and bull$ so I got DirecTV and I love it! BeIn Sport is awesome! Easily beats any North American football broadcaster, is just a notch above Fox Soccer which I love as well, too bad they are losing EPL rights to NBC but it looks whey will take EPL seriously. I wish one day we will get BeIn Sport. I love Terri Leigh (Sexiest Canadian soccer commentator) so I stay tuned through half times.
    If any of you guys can manage to get Directv I highly recommend it, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, EPL, Bundesliga, Mexican League, Brazilian League, Argentinean League , some MLS matches (BeIn, Fox Soccer, GolTV USA, NBC and Univision combined) Obviously Bell and Rogers have done everything to keep Directv out of Canadian market to avoid fair competition so they control the monopoly and charge what they want and they give you what they want!
    I love Fox sports deal with Sky Sports I get to see REAL football news directly from England and they're following up who will replace Sir Alex Ferguson!

20. Fee-Go

Fee-Go Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Bein Sport should have the right to sell directly to Canadians who use IPTV. Why should they have to go through a 3rd party? Bell and Rogers feel threatened by Bein Sport for some reason, not sure what it is.

21. Glide84

Glide84 Member+

Jan 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I went from pissed off to just accepting that I will have to watch the majority of matches on a shitty stream. I wish they would just stream their games online for a subscription, I would do it in a heart beat.

22. Fee-Go

Fee-Go Member

Sep 7, 2008
    I emailed Next-TV to look into Bein Sport and possibly make an application to the CRTC to sell it as a stand-alone channel to Canadians.

23. Fee-Go

Fee-Go Member

Sep 7, 2008
    I hear what you say. I've been streaming La Liga all season long with good results. I hate Rogers and Bell with a passion, stuff like this only adds to my hatred of them.

24. swan_ch

swan_ch New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    If beIN really care about the market in Canada, we already watch beIN sports in the north of the boarder in front of a TV screen, not a Computer Screen.

TLN had shown their will that they can help beIN Sports to get into the market since beIN sports buy those rights{TLN can either: A) Apply to CRTC that they want beIN sports USA to air in Canada or B) They can switch their EuroWorld Sports into beIN sports Canada if A doesn't work, which they can have some share changes and let beIN sports to hold some which, this also need the approvial from CRTC}and the situration doesn't allowed beIN sports to air north of the boarder without finding a partner. (Thank you, CRTC, you've made our life dull)

However, after a whole season, what did we have? Euro World Sports and Fox Sports World Canada died in different ways. And still no news about how beIN sports plans to go north of the boarder.

And for those ethical channel based IPTV company, here's one thing: unlike those IPTV which under they name of those Canadian telecom(e.g. MTS/Bell/Telus), they don't need any approvial which channel they can have from CRTC, they can simply ask for the apporival on that channel and you can air they channel and charge whatever the price you want.

25. MarcoTFC

MarcoTFC Member

May 9, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    BeIn Sports USA is now available on the internet, I know once the internet detects a Canadian IP it won't work but there is programs like coccoon that fools the internet, if you have a friend in the US who can subscribe for you. Anyways, let's see if we get La Liga and Serie A in 2013/14. BeIN is way better than any SN! in every aspect! and I am offialy in love with hottie Kay Murray!
    I am sure Canadian broadcasters are not willing to pay too much money to show Liga or Serie A and I don't think BeIN is going bankruptcy for not getting that money. I am sure they would broadcast in Canada but too much politics and monopoly (Rogers and Bell) in Canada. We live in a monopolized hockey nation!

Fee-Go and Glide84 repped this.