Beer in Stadium

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by bryanffox, Mar 19, 2014.

1. bryanffox

bryanffox New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Went to last year's home opener and they didn't serve beer in the stadium. Planning on going again to the April 13th games and want to know if they are now serving beer in the stadium.

Thanks for any help.

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hofstra is on a college campus, they dont allow beer sales in the stadium. I'd suggest grabbing pints at Social Bar across the street or bringing your own and stopping by the tailgate party before the match.

bryanffox repped this.
  3. bryanffox

bryanffox New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hey Thanks! Helpful to plan! I appreciate it. Really is too bad but hey better that than no soccer.

4. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Bryan, as Onionsack said, it is a college campus and beer is not allowed.

I would suggest however NOT going to Social bar. The service there we have found is slow and crowd not too much fun for a Cosmos fan.

Can I offer something different to you instead? The Supporters Groups of the Cosmos - The Cross Island Crew, The Borough Boys and La Banda Del Cosmos created a customary tailgate prior to Cosmos matches, and they increased in size through out the course of last season. This season we plan on having a local German Beer Garden grill for us for a fee that includes beer and food. The tailgate of course is free and you can bring your own food and beer if you prefer. But if you don't want to deal with set up or cleanup we are hoping to sell bracelets so that you can drink and eat on tailgate day and not have to clean up. Either way, the tailgate is where all the fans are and it puts you in a festive mood going into the game. If you want more details drop me a line at cosmossoccerfan@gmail.com. We plan on sending something out soon about the official tailgate.

Thank and hope this helps!
    Cesar

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Uhmmm, excuse me Cesar T? The Borough Boys created a tailgate. We received no assistance whatsoever from any other group. The Borough Boys got the permission from the Cosmos, Hofstra, and the local police, lugged everything to Long Island, and cleaned up all the trash at the end. We received no help from any other group. Instead of trying to claim credit, why don't you say "thank you".

As far as this year goes, again, the borough boys have again done all the work so far, clearing with the cosmos, getting the permissions for overhangs, and again contacted Hofstra and local police.

Everyone is welcome, but to be clear, this is not a Cross Island Crew or La banda event. If you want credit, you have to do something. It's a Borough Boys event.

6. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa metrogo - lay off the tone brother - why the haste? No one is trying to take credit for what the Borough Boys did last year. I was at every tail gate myself and I know what has been done. If you want me to say it CIC had nothing to do with creating this last year - there I said it - please don't accuse me of trying to take any credit because if you know me, which I doubt you do, that is the last thing that I am about.

I will say however, that the CIC is trying to add some things this year to the tailgate to take the burden off the Borough Boys, not sure if you're aware of that or not. So while we may not have been a part of organizing it last year - we're pitching in this year where we can.

This wasn't meant to be a post about taking credit but rather to try to inform fans about a tailgate that they may not have known existed and in turn try to grow the festive atmosphere that starts in the lot before the match begins.

Let's not get all territorial - leave the finger pointing out of it man - lighten up!

7. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How early do this tailgate lot open and what is the cost of parking? I should have a chance to attend a match or two depending on how my schedule works out. I had not known about the no beer in the stadium thing so that kind of put a damper on things but as long as you guys have a tailgate I can still enjoy the match!

8. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not too sure about the time for the tailgate, but I do know parking is $5 across the street from the stadium. Usually we park there, pull out a small camping grill and knock back a few before the game, beers in the parking lot are okay I think. No one said anything to us all of last year, and we were't the only ones. We may walk over to the supporters tailgate this year to see what it's like. We seat in the club 71 area, but it's cool to walk in with the supporters groups making noise. BTW got my season tickets and I'm hyped!

9. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Borough Boys along with the Cross Island Crew have been tailgating usually anywhere between 2-3 hours before game time. So for opening day I would expect people to be there by 3 pm and likely earlier. There are two lots so its important to know which one we are in. If you are driving on Fulton Ave, you will come upon Social Kitchen which is situated on the corner of Meadowbrook Place. This is the block you want to turn and go down. At the end of this block is the Hofstra lot where out tailgates are. Like Nano said - parking is $5 and you will never have a problem with the cops in our lot thanks to the great work the Borough Boys have done over the years.

You should definitely come over and tailgate with the supporters! What better way to get even more psyched for the game - if you do plan on coming please let me know so that I can say hi and knock a cold one back with you! We welcome all Cosmos fans - Supporters group members or not!!

10. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for the record - the little debate between myself and Metrogo up above has been settled - we actually know each other and just didn't know who was behind the screen names here on Big Soccer - no animosity between SGs!

11. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sounds good man, we'll swing by probably a hour and a half or so before the game. You guys are behind the stadium right?

12. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are no the west side of the stadium or the lot that is on the same side of the club seats - hope that make sense.

13. cosmojo

cosmojo New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I park on the other side, been to every game, never knew about tailgate party. see you opening day. I will say I partied with you guys in Atlanta, folks stop by these are great guys and a lot of fun!

Cesar T and Onionsack repped this.
  14. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expect some details here and elsewhere online via social media on the 5 Points Tailgate party soon. Actual soon, not Belmont Stadium soon. :)

15. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES - endorsements for the Five points - love that!! lol

16. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official announcement on the 5 Points tailgate is just waiting on final confirmation on what lot the party is going to be in. everything else is sorted.

nanoGVSP repped this.
  17. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 Cesar T, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    To all fans - Details are now known on this Sunday's tailgae - see below!
    Thanks to the Borough Boys for putting together the description below. While the Borough Boys were masters of creating this event last year, the Cross Island Crew is glad to be a part of it this year and contribute our home bar Prost to be an added bonus to the event this year!

5 Points Tailgate Party - All Home Games:

Cosmos fans,

This season the supporters clubs of the 5 Points will be hosting a tailgate party for every home game in the 2014 season. All fans are welcome to come to the party and meet fellow supporters, learn about the supporters clubs, and enjoy the atmosphere.

Below is the flyer for the tailgate:

LOCATION: As you can see in the map, the tailgate location (circled) is the parking lot to the west of the stadium, behind Social Bar. Some people that took the buses last year will remember this lot as where the buses used to park. PLEASE BE ADVISED, the lot is closed to personal cars. We encourage people to park in the areas close to the tailgate lot or park in the main lot and take the short walk over to our tailgate.

FOOD: Hamburgers and Bratwursts will be served up by our friends at Prost Grill and Garten in the lot. Fans in Long Island will recognize Prost as the official supporters pub of the Cross Island Crew. The supporters clubs are paying for all the food upfront and we ask that you donate $5 to help us cover the costs of these tailgates, so we can continue to host them every home game and hopefully make them bigger and better. Your donation will get you access to the food from Prost on the grills.

For more info about Prost visit their website: http://prostgrill.com/

BEER: Due to campus regulations we can not provide and sell beer or alcohol to guests, however, they have designated our lot area as an authorized place to consume alcohol. Therefore, it is a BYOB event. Feel free to bring your coolers, or any beverages you like to the tailgate for consumption. Additionally, Social Bar is right next door, so if you do not have any drinks with you, you are welcome to order something from the bar next door.

TIME: Tailgate will be set up and ready two (2) hours before scheduled kickoff for all home games. For example, this Sunday at the opener the match is set to kick off at 5:00PM, that means the tailgate will begin at 3:00PM.

ACTIVITIES: Throughout the season the supporters clubs will be looking into additional activities to hold in the tailgate lot. It is ample size and fenced in, so feel free to bring a ball or some small goals if you want to have a kick around.

The supporters clubs want to foster an environment where their own supporters and fans of the Cosmos can meet and enjoy the game-day experience together; to form closer friendships, and help grow the Cosmos fan community. Please stop by and say hello, all are welcome.

[​IMG]

nanoGVSP repped this.
  18. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm exited that you guys are able to organize such events. IMHO the game day experience is enhanced 10 fold with supporters groups such as yourselves and La Banda Del Cosmos. I already belong to the Club 71, but there are times when I wanna walk over there and get crazy during the game. We sat with you guys in ATL and it was awesome. Hope you keep growing strong, see you all this weekend. Cheers!
    P.S. Any reason why La Banda del Cosmos is not in on this event?

19. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Banda knows that they are always invited and they are again on this day. However they have always felt it was their style to not tailgate prior to the matches. Last year they would get to the matches usually by bus just before the matches and it didn't allow them to be at the tailgate. Rest assured however that they will be in the stands come game time.

20. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [quote="nanoGVSP, post: 29912622, member: 200483"
    P.S. Any reason why La Banda del Cosmos is not in on this event?[/quote]

They are not part of the organizing of the event and i think they have their own plans as Cesar stated for when they are getting to stadium and how. Regardless, all Cosmos fans are welcome and of course that would include our 5 Points brothers/sisters La Banda.

Cesar T repped this.
  21. cosmojo

cosmojo New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Cosmos just announced sam adams beer garden near section 1 in stadium. I would imagine beer will be served.

22. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JUST ANNOUNCED BY THE NEW YORK COSMOS FOR ALL HOME GAMES
    Now there will be beer somewhere in the stadium!!

[​IMG]

23. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    shit as a freelancer, I have to take work when it comes, so I had to book a gig tmorrow, can make it to gme tomrrow, it blows, but gotta work, I SIGN UP FOR NASLIVE, wnt this league & my Cosmos to succeed i a big wy

Cesar T repped this.
  24. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It took us a while, but my group and I made it to the tailgate party. Great atmosphere, you guys did a hell of a job.
    There was a bit of a bottle neck when going into the stadium, may be they should have more people there to handle the big push. As soon as we got in the beer garden was there, we had to stop and sample a couple there. Great to have all these options.

25. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Nano! Just so you know - we hope to be doing this every week. Personaly, I thought that opening day there was a lot of things we could do better, so if you were satisfied with opening day, then you will be more satisfied as time goes on! Hope to meet you at one of those tailgates!!

nanoGVSP repped this.