Beer Guide to PPL Park

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Doop, May 20, 2013.

1. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused. You can not use Union Dollars on a Victory beer since it's sold at a stand?

2. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Union dollars can only be used for the permanent food vendors, which makes life difficult for those of us that don't drink standard domestics.

3. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snake & Shield has the best selection of imports for a brick & mortar stand. The carts are usually better, though.

4. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should clarify that by stating not the supporters section but the east sidelines closest to TRE. I am in 131 and the nearest Snake is 103 but I have a good ways to walk to get to it as I have to go outside and around, particularly when the tunnel below TRE is closed. They should open a new Snake on the east side.

EmeraldDawn, DaMunk and Doop repped this.
  5. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @UnionBulldog I know where you are, I don't forget my roots. You're right though, its a pain in the ass if the tunnel isn't open but the chainlink smokers area isn't too bad.

6. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Behind 117 in Fresh Classics

Fullers ESB
    Tennents Lager
    $9.50 in the "souvenir cup"

7. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greatest thread ever :)

8. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So lots of draft changes across the board... I took a walk around and have notes, just haven't been able to get them all together yet. Some new additions like Troegs Dream Weaver, Kona Big Wave, Tennents, Magic Hat #9, and Fullers ESB throughout. A ton of Stella taps this year as well.

9. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Would be good to get an update! Noticed that Boddington's Draft is now near the RE stand next to 139. Great news since I think it is the best deal in town!

Still can't believe they did not have any beer during the College Cup?! (while serving beer during the Villanova football games, according to someone I spoke to).

aztec21bas repped this.
  10. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed yesterday that the guy selling bud in the River End also had Stella in his cooler. Is that new this year?

11. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It is new; noticed it as well.

12. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Found this with some Google fu
    •The NCAA has for years banned sales and venue advertising of all alcohol at its 88 championships. Host sites are required to cover up any ads for alcoholic drinks.
    •The NCAA does not control the regular season in any sport, nor does it run the postseason for the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision. Individual schools and conferences oversee the regular season, including game operations, broadcasting and advertising. The postseason for Division I Football Bowl Subdivision is controlled by the Bowl Championship Series and individual bowl committees.

So yes,a reg season Nova game, but no to a championship Cup event. This of course won't cover luxury suites and club sales, just for the riff raff.

13. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do they serve beer at the Rugby 7s?

14. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    #39 Hax, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
    A whole lot of Sam Adams is brewed in Fogelsville, PA, too.

Depending on where you sat during the College Cup, beer was most definitely for sale. I was in the Maryland club suite and they had the bar up and running. Not sure what it was like throughout PPL, but beer was a staple for us.

15. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They only had alcohol in the suites! Well, next time I know and will tailgate a bit and bring a small flask with some good scotch!

16. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  17. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Please add prices for Snake & Shield (was unable to update the spreadsheet): Domestic Beers (Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite) $11, all others (Blue Moon, Stella, Becks, Fosters, Shock Top & Sierra Nevada) $13.

They also have non-alcoholic beer (O'Doul's) for $7.50 and Gluten Free Beer (Red Bridge) for $7.50

18. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Will do, which section S&S?

19. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

20. MattyB316

MattyB316 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Delco, PA (137 H)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gotta say I love the beer representation at PPL.

I remember when they started serving Victory, Landshark, Dogfish Head at CBP and was like woah cool! Then I started going to Union games and when I see beers I've never even heard of before my crafty side gets happy.

21. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What beers have you never heard of before? I can't say anything really excites me in there to get me to arrive before the kick. PPL park beer and other concessions pretty much keep the tailgating scene alive and well.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bud Light, in the aluminum bottles, available from Chickie's & Pete's ...

::swoons::

23. MattyB316

MattyB316 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Delco, PA (137 H)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    tbh, I can't even really remember. I just know I saw a couple last Saturday that I wasn't completely familar with and it reminded me how cool it is that craft beers are making their way into more mainstream markets now.

24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that's because some craft beers, or what people consider to be craft beers, are really owned by bigger breweries nowadays.

Goose Island - Anheuser-Busch InBev
    Magic Hat - Florida Ice & Farm Co.

25. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The majority of the beer for sale at PPL Park does seem to be AB InBev products (Bud, Bud Light, Stella Artois, Shock Top, Goose Island, Boddington's, etc.), it's just that the casual beer drinker probably doesn't realize this because they own so many different breweries, but they try really hard to conceal this fact about many of their "micro" brews (here is a comprehensive list...if you believe everything you read on the internet, it's quite extensive).

That being said, there are still a few legitimate micro-brews available there is you are willing to wait in line for them and hope that the kegs don't get kicked right before you reach the front of the line (which has happened to me on more than one occasion while waiting for Dogfish and HopDevil...very annoying).

My guess is that PPL Park is somehow contractually obligated to offer a certain percentage of AB InBev products. This is annoying because one would think the U would realize that, based on the demographic of their fan base, people would buy a lot more beer in the stadium if they offered more legitimate micro-brews and fewer AB Inbev products. After all, we aren't Iggles fans...

LINETRASH repped this.