Alert: Beckham's last game as a Galaxy player is MLS Cup 2012

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by profiled, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you Mr.Beckham, you have done very well.

triplet1 and Hachiko repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Perhaps because it was not "news," but rather part of a snarky column called "Morning Buzz" by John Ryan.

I have a very specific recollection of the quote because (1) I watched the Galaxy/Chelsea friendly, so he didn't have my demographic in contemplation when he said, "I didn't watch and neither did you."; and (2) it was an instance of a supposed journalist proudly crowing about his failure to witness an event about which he was writing. In my mind, it was the perfect reflection of the arrogance and insularity of a dying profession which had thrown off all semblance of professionalism. (Ryan is, according to his Linkedin profile, now an independent contract/proposal writer for Xerox.)

3. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Ahh, found it. Your quote was close! (The problem is that the item doesn't have the word "Chelsea" in it, so it wasn't showing up in my initial search.)

John Ryan, Mercury News, July 23, 2007:
    Sounds like a good guy to have out of the journalism business...

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  4. SteveK

SteveK Member

Mar 29, 2005
    He said he plans on attending many galaxy games next season, this would be possible if he goes to Australia as the league runs from October to april...kinda sounds like a giveaway that he is heading downunder.

5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Odd. I seem to recall your lot playing LA in in Stanford Stadium this season. Why was that?

Also, speaking as someone who resides on one side of the pond, while having grown up and having a lot of family on teh other, I think your view is being obscured in terms of the perceptions abroad of these "large, rabid, growing fan bases".

The general view seems to be that our SGs and particularly the Seattle crowds are just wannabes copying what they saw on TV. Now that's not a view I personally hold. Indeed it's one I fight rigourously against. I respect the SGs here enough to belong to one.

The point I'm making though, is that Beckham's presence here hasn't created any more ignorance or derision for the league than already existed in it's detractors minds.

Indeed, I've seen far more people becoming aware of the league and casuals coming for Beckham and staying for the game, than being put off. Indeed, those put off by Beckham's presence frequently tend to be the same ones telling us we should drop playoffs, institute relegation, scrap the salary cap and reform the singe-entity structure. They also refuse to watch anything of a lower standard than Barcelona.

Jasonma repped this.
  6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So let me understand this: you're griping that Beckham played just once in San Jose, when your team elected to change venues in 2/3 home games this season?

Like I asked above, what was their reason for doing that? Hmm?

Jasonma and RapidStorm repped this.
  7. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They only changed one game this season for LA, not 2/3. He could have played here 2/3 total times since 08 but he went on loan to AC Milan two years in a row and was out injured during the second loan spell in Milan and another time this season in the final regular season match , he elected not to come to play at Buck Shaw. Can't remember that far back but I think he was a no show even when they changed venues to accommodate him. Therefore, in 5 years, he has played just once in San Jose. That is a fact.

9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.

redinthemorning and falvo repped this.
  10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twice here, if I'm not mistaken.

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ...so if he does play somewhere else we can mock that league as a retirement league, joke league, washed up, etc...right?:)

DoctorD and Jasonma repped this.
  12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the term you are looking for is "Mickey Mouse"

Balerion and Jasonma repped this.
  13. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'd love to see this thread go anywhere besides another SJ fan hijacking...so, here's a little substance:
    https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/271016587396538368

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/271052109061967872

looknohands, Jasonma and profiled repped this.
  14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Mickey Mouse for me will forever be Wayne Gretzky calling the NJ Devils that after beating them 13 to 4.

Had the pleasure of seeing that one live.

El Naranja repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He really said that? Wow...

16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Yup. First season The Colorado Rockies moved to NJ.

Went to about 15 games that year and didn't pay for one. Outside of Ranger games they couldn't get people to go. I could get giveaways at will.

Watching hockey in a 20K seat arena with about 6,000 people there was interesting. we could have yelling convo's across the rink with people. The players could hear us clear as day. A lot of fun actually.

Just googled it and saw it was 1983. I knew I was working back then, but still young and dumb, but can't believe that was 30 years ago. damn

17. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    why am i getting this weird creepy feeling that he is going to be part of the NASL Cosmos and then part of their ownership group?

and i know he can't use his discounted expansion fee clause for NYC but if i am him i'd rather be a part owner of the NY Cosmos MLS even if i (and my investor buddies) had to pay the full freight than be a full owner in some other city.

we will never hear the end of the NASL is competing with MLS and NASL is so awesome and NY Cosmos are teh bestest evah if this happens.

18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is Australia the only place that plays a season that would allow him to attend MLS matches?

19. SteveK

SteveK Member

Mar 29, 2005
    If he wants to attend " many" games I would guess so, a move to Europe would see him get a 6 week off season at best. The Australian off season is 6 months long...7 if you don't make the playoffs....since its a mickey mouse league he could probably take most of that time off...this would allow him to spend a fair chunk of time in la.

20. SteveK

SteveK Member

Mar 29, 2005
    One of todays newspapers in Australia has the headline "the chase for becks" it goes on to say that 7 of the 10 clubs will put in a bid for him, got me thinking is this unheard of having almost an entire league potentially bidding for one player? It'd kinda sad lol.

21. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not when you're right next to asia, promotional tours and jersey sales are a good looking englishman's signature away.

redinthemorning repped this.
  23. SteveK

SteveK Member

Mar 29, 2005
    As far as we know most if not all the bids are for a 10 week guest stint, Melbourne heart have just put a 1.7 mill offer on the table for 10 games with an option to extend.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the Victory, not the Victory...

25. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    That, he might do. Especially if he could do a tie-in with some sponsors in Oz that would double that figure. Can't hurt to put $3 million in your pocket for a few months work when you are thinking of dropping a few tens of mil into part ownership.

On the other hand, that really does have the whiff of pure marketing ploy and I wonder whether that is really a positive for the A-League, as perception goes. (I say this with no disrespect to the A-League, MLS has been in their shoes and I wish them the best upward trajectory.) And whether it might be too gimmicky even for Becks himself.

What he absolutely should do if he's moving straigt on to ownership is a series of those summer kickaround "Friends of Beckham" vs "Team X" tours in Asia. he could probably stack his roster with killer names and draw some big crowds even with everyone knowing full well they are joke matches. He might be able to pocket a few mil that way.

I do wonder if he would get an offer from Qatar... there is more neg around the WC corruption stirring again and they could use another feelgood blitz... but considering that the whole process victimized England, maybe Becks would not want to be associated at any price.

Certainly a lot of interesting options even if PSG is off the table.