Alert: Beckham's last game as a Galaxy player is MLS Cup 2012

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by profiled, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Yeah, I just saw that in Wahl's article.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's a really good question.

If the Gals win MLS Cup, I could see Bruce deciding this would be a good time to pursue other things.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This one is crazy enough to be true.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Say what you will about David Beckham. You don't have to root for him and certainly don't have to like him.

But if you're a fan of this league, you owe him an undeniable debt of gratitude. There wasn't a player in the world who cold have come here in 2007 and had the kind of impact on MLS that David Beckham had.

This league is far stronger far faster because David Beckham spent 6 years in it.

BarcaLover, manoa, looknohands and 13 others repped this.
  5. SteveK

SteveK Member

Mar 29, 2005
    He will come to Australia imo

1) Its been hyped here since last Friday that Beckham would leave LA, clearly his management has been in touch with the league.

2) Up to 5 Australians clubs are set to make an offer for him, the league would probably fund the entire thing if they have to, whilst im sure you will get interest from around the world, its an obsession in this country, and the league operates in a way where it needs "name" players to keep interest up...regardless of how old they are.

3) The move would fit in well with the idea that he wants a final playing challenge, he has done it all in Europe, playing on the other side of the world probably ticks that box.

Personally i think the deal will get done, i highly doubt the league would have let this get out to the public as far back as last week if they werent already in talks with the Beckham camp, the only thing is will it be a 10 game guest stint which is what most clubs are willing to offer or an actual season?...the A league runs from October to April...he could come here and play immediately in the Jan transfer window. Though i do find this strange considering he has talked about how his body is sore and the mls season has taken its toll on him i was honestly expecting him to take a break for a few months and return to LA...the Australian league especially in Jan/Feb is arguably the toughest in the world when it comes to playing conditions...the heat factor is so bad many games are stopped for drinks breaks!

6. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediction is that Beckham is going to be a Red Bull. I only say that because it says he's no longer going to play for the Galaxy, not in MLS. Could also make sense that RBNY would try to market a team with Henry and Beckham as teammates.

7. SteveK

SteveK Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Hasnt he made it clear that he is leaving the league as a whole? whilst i dont think he says it straight out he claims his future with american soccer will be in the ownership side of things...nothing about spotentailly staying in the league as a player.

Red Bulls would be a great fit though, "brand Beckham" would surely fill RBA on a consistent basis...but i think he has to much class to go to a rival club, just as he has always been reluctant to join a rival club in the epl, i think the same holds true here.

Its no secret Victoria wants to move to new york though.

8. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Like preparing a team for matches with New Zealand?

9. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is only one player in the world who could bring the same level of publicity, media attention, and jersey sales to the Galaxy. Plus he has good free kicks, creates big chances, and is not too fast - all like David.

So the Galaxy should sign Freddy Adu from the Union. Heck, I bet the team wouldn't even require anything in trade - for the good of MLS, of course.

Please?

10. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Beckham is going to troll everyone and sign for Chivas USA.

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Beckham for Rafa Marquez. Straight up.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Who is this Becky guy?
    [​IMG]

13. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't say he's leaving MLS. I'm guessing it will be NY for Beckham.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe @ the NY Cosmos if they bypass the NASL and go to MLS instead?

15. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be nearly impossible for that team to get up and running in time for next season.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Aren't they already up and running for next season? I mean what would the difference be if they initially start out in MLS or NASL? They would still be an expansion team and would have to endure hardships like all the other newer teams have. Sooner or later I'm sure their ambition is they want to play in MLS so don't see why it would make much of a difference if they started now or in two years.

17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they don't have a suitable stadium, there's not been an expansion draft set up, the league needs more lead time for scheduling, the jump up in FO needs is steep, they probably haven't scouted MLS quality players, there would be a huge payment due to MLS in short order, etc. Plus I'm sure the NASL will need to be compensated in some way as well. The reason teams like Seattle, Vancouver, and Montreal took almost two years to move up is because you need to do a lot of work.

Jasonma repped this.
  18. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Beckham will play for the cosmos and tear it up in the pub league NASL he will play when he feels like it ... a every other week kind of deal. and the cosmos will get more press than the STUPID WORTHLESS DISGRACEFUL ENERGY DRINK. Its going to seem like the cosmos are the only show in town and the drink will remain non existant in the NY area media...

you heard it here 1st.....

the part time job will be great for david as it gives him time to do acting or modeling and persue his other endeavors. he will def be in the daily news and trash rag the ny post gossip section...

playing in nassau county will be good for dave cause then a helicopter can land on the field and take him to the hamptons so he can chill with his celeb pals.....

19. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    No, we didn't hear it here first.

Thanks for reading the thread, though!

looknohands repped this.
  20. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I SAID YOU HEARD IT HERE 1ST and thats the end of it...

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Neither do the Quakes. Actually, their stadium already looks better than Buck Shaw ever will....
    [​IMG]

Maybe its a little soon but sooner or later, they are going to have to take that route. As far as the expansion draft and whatever are concerned, I think most of those players are usually has beens or never was.....I'm sure the Cosmos will come up with a set of their own rules and/or players as LA has done and sign their own star players. I don't think Montreal really uses or used too many of their expansion draft picks. If anything, Corradi, Di Vaio , Nesta and Ferrari along with the others all came from other leagues. Ricketts for example was traded mid season and they had a lot of players coming and going....

22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fake turf with gridiron lines. You can have it.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its just paint...Look at the Sounders pitch....Either way, it easily replaceable with grass.....

24. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Beckham is a huge fan of fake grass too!

El Naranja and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just curious but why can't grass be installed or replaced like they did in Toronto?