Beckham!

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by C'mon. COSMOS!, Nov 24, 2012.

1. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, got it.

2. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Replica shirt sales are not the be all and end all of soccer economics. I will go easy on you because you don't live in America, but just this once. Beckham would generate revenue in those other markets that would dwarf what he could with a NASL Cosmos. He is just another famous athlete here in America. He isn't the mega superstar that he could be in certain other markets. The Cosmos are going to play in a 13 thousand seat stadium in the NASL. Not exactly a whole lot of ticket revenue available. There isn't a television network that is going to pay the Cosmos a dime. So he sells a few shirts. Whoop dee do! He can do that elsewhere and sell more tickets, more sponsorships, and maybe even some TV money.

Great. Irish folks where Cosmos merch. Guess where I have seen Cosmos merchandise in America? In discount stores for pennies on the dollar. I haven't seen a single person wearing Cosmos clothing. I was also in Ireland within the last few years and actually visited your fair city......and no Cosmos fans.

3. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm sure the 10 cosmos tops in the Umbro shop in Dublin might sell a little faster with Beckham on the back.

4. IAMAMNOTPELE

IAMAMNOTPELE Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I live in NY – I don’t see many, if any NY Cosmos tops being worn here – even in the summer period …………….maybe in some sports bars and the like, but that would be it

I attended EVERY U18 NY Cosmos Academy game last season – if they had 30 or 40 people watching that was it……………….and that was parents in the main

The U23 team maybe attracted a slightly bigger crowd, but even that could be counted pretty easily (and don’t mention Manchester J)

NY Cosmos are a “new team” in a new era

They are competing against all the big sports with all the big names and big TV deals and huge support………….without any of that themselves

Getting back, in a D2 world, attracting thousands of fans, huge sponsorship, big name players, massive shirt sales and success……………………………I think that is a long way off

I hope it all works and they are a success – I will be at all of their Hofstra games without question……………but think it is going to be a slow process and gradual build up

Will Beckham go to Cosmos and play – I would love to see it and hope it happens……………..but to be honest, I just cannot see it

I cannot see him wanting his last year/couple of years playing, being in front of 5000/13000 fans (and that may be optimistic), in a small college stadium – I just cant see it…………..though I hope I am wrong

But who knows – maybe he is getting such a huge “final pay off deal” to be a player/executive owner that he can’t refuse, all with the intention of moving to MLS

As I say, would love to see it happen, but just can’t believe it will

5. NorthernWall

NorthernWall Member

Mar 1, 2012
    This is the best formatting ever. It's like non-sequiter poetry

6. jubnub

jubnub Member

Nov 3, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Beckham is going to the Cosmos.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-soccer-mlsbeckhaml4n09942x-20121129,0,7228444.story

Antique repped this.
  7. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Which is 10 more tops than any other team in the league could sell? We don't have an Umbro store by the way, and I don't live in Dublin. I've seen Cosmos stock in our big sports chains. I only ever see 1 other thing related to MLS sold in sports shops here. Galaxy jerseys with Beckham or Keane on the back.

Soccer in America is seen as Mickey Mouse to people in Europe. People think it's where the likes of Keane, Angel, Henry and Ljundburg go to make some money when they get past a certain age, a retirement league for people who were stars in Europe. We have some of the best teams and players in the world on TV all the time so how could we think otherwise? But yet there was an American team who suddenly had a roster full of stars and who could pack out big stadiums. The Cosmos gained a lot of respect in their first guise but of course we know that didn't last. So they're back and people remember Pele et al back then and what the Cosmos brand WAS. That's what driving the publicity now. Yes this team isn't going to be playing in Giants stadium and will probably be playing in front of 2000 people in Carolina some weeks, 1000 in Edmonton BUT wasn't that were Seattle were a few years ago? It's a start and I say well done to the people who want to try return to that former glory. Will it happen in the NASL? Most likely not. Will they be able to make the jump to MLS and that shiny new stadium in Queens? Probably. Will they return to what they were in the past? Only time can tell. In a year we could be saying "This is a disaster" or "This has potential" I personally would love to one day go see an MLS Cosmos play in New York.

8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a Red Bulls jersey in Cork when I was visiting, on the rack in a sporting goods store.

I agree with your point though, the Cosmos brand has more cache than any brand in MLS except maybe the Galaxy thanks to Beckham. And the Galaxy can easily be surpassed within a season or two of the Cosmos in MLS.

9. IAMAMNOTPELE

IAMAMNOTPELE Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No idea how accurate this is or simply further speculation;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20614496

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that MLS's Garber made it a point in his Cup Conference call to say Beckham had no gift card to use in NYC ownership, I seriously doubt this article has any validity.

Although I hope it has some, for Miami's sake.

Antique repped this.
  11. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that mean he's prohibited outright from becoming an owner in New York? Garber's comments likely mean that he can't invoke his MLS contract as an avenue to gain an ownership stake there. What if a prospective ownership group wants to include him under a completely different arrangement of their own which is unrelated to his contractual option with MLS? Would MLS be in position to bar him from doing it? It would be quite extraordinary if events unfolded that way.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I don't think MLS would block his inolvement. But I don't think Becks is the type who when he does get involve will just want to be a spokes person. And he doesn't seem stupid to waste $25 million. So if its his money, it will be his team, so why waste it in NY?

But seriously, how can you believe any article about Beckham? It's paparazzi crap at its finest.

CapPixel repped this.
  13. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Just warming up the soup from the state-of-the-league-call...