BBVA Compass Stadium - all events - 2012

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Apr 20, 2012.

1. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still wouldn't hurt to put our name out there as a possible host and get all the introductions out of the way

2. Kam^

Kam^ Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Clutch City
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Liechtenstein
    Heard on the Cougars pregame that UH still doesn't have anything confirmed for next year. They could play games at Reliant Stadium, Rice Stadium, Minute Maid Park, and oh the irony, BBVA Compass Stadium.

3. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They wouldn't play at BBVA. Reliant seems certain I think

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to think they will play on the new fake turf at Reliant. Any other place they will claim is not "big time". I'm still unclear if UH has raised all the money to finish the stadium project or how they are financing it.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, according to Goff, 11,500 tickets sold for USWNT game at BBVA, 1,000 more than what Detroit has sold. So I assume they'll sell 10,000 more in the next two weeks, right?

6. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The soccer market in downtown Houston has been sluggish. They may not be able to sell out without better marketing. You'd think that USWNT would be a slam-bang, but even Mexico was slow.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa Now, I was assured on another thread that the USWNT was a guaranteed sellout, regardless of time and date at BBVA Compass. Once again, based on anecdotal evidence not hard data. I thought 10K was closer to reality, but they are beyond that. 15K seems more likely.

8. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm buying my tickets when they go on groupon or living social

9. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche, you win! With two weeks to go there is no way that this thing sells out, especially if Goff is using the same data crunchers that the GOP used.

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest Goff update is 12,000 sold for next Wednesday night. Looks like my non-sellout hypothesis may be correct, barring a last minute rush or ticket promotions (unlikely since it is USSF money).

11. futballman

futballman New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    How does it feel to be a genius? You should replace Garber Why not just enjoy the Orange and be thankful we have a DOWNTOWN home you depress me

brahmafutbol repped this.
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad you asked so I can tell you what it is like to be a genius . . . fulfilling, rewarding, solving murders and other crimes like they guy from Numbers on CBS or maybe The Mentalist.

13. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointed to miss the USWNT match. I've got a couple friends getting married that night. Yeah, I know a Wednesday. They are a frugal couple saving $$$ from not having it on a Saturday and also not saying its a wedding reception at the venue they rented. Should be a good match.

14. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, sure looks that way. There might be a bit of a push in the next week (since a lot of the people that may push are back from travels out West) but would be surprised if it breaks 15K at this point.

15. DNez2001

DNez2001 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston 'burb
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they overpriced the match - I'm not going due to the cost of tickets

el nordissimo repped this.
  16. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite possibly and even more so with the amount of money spent here lately on the Dynamo MLS Cup run. I don't remember exactly what I paid for the one in Frisco back in February but want to say it was less than the price for the one here.

17. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I think it is unfortunate that we don't get at least 18k for the game. Remember we all wonder why USSF won't give Houston men's games. This won't help. Yeah I know men and women pull different crowds . . . they will use it as an excuse; mark my words.

*rey* repped this.
  18. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't give up on it yet.

But I think one thing that hopefully was learned from the Mexico game, price your tickets affordably.

el nordissimo repped this.
  19. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    If USSF is charging this for the women's game; where do you think a men's game would price?

20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is a large number of soccer fans in Houston but many of them don't have a lot of disposable income. If ticket prices for events were in the $10-25 range I think everything would be sold out.

DNez2001 repped this.
  21. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I don't discount that fact, but that is not what USSF does so that is not what they are going to use to determine whether the men visit.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF generally puts money before everything else (except for the Mexico home qualifier). If we live in a "poor" market economically for non-Mexico US games, we won't get more games. I don't think next Wednesday is a good barometer for a men's game but it is what it is.

I don't disagree that the prices for the USWNT game seems high; kind of semi-premium pricing for a non-premium event. But my contention is that interest in the women's team is far shallower than many claim. Its big for Olympics, World Cup, and for people who miss their WNBA fix. Ortiz will have to spin the non-sellout next week.

23. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It felt so far away and it's almost here! Sydney Leroux, Alex Morgan, Amy Rodriguez, Hope Solo!! Drooling here at work!!

24. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is something to that for sure but it's also not quite as simple as that based on Non-Anecdotal evidence. You have venues that get 18K + in a WC Year (when you don't win) and then barely break 10K in an Olympic Year (that you do win). You get 20K + in a freezing Frisco before the Olympics and with a week to go here get 12K after you won in London. There seems to be a lot more fluctuation then there should be if it was based solely on general interest unless there is some sort of USWNT fatigue at this point? It would be interesting to compare the price points at some of the venues that hosted in both years and had a dramatic change in either direction.

25. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    This is why I am not going. Hello USSF? $33 per ticket for the cheapest ticket to an absolutely meaningless exhibition match, two weeks before Christmas??? What were they thinking?

Even if it were a "friendly" that was a tune-up for a tournament or something it would be somewhat different. But these games are the soccer equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters. Yeah, China will be more competitive than Ireland, but no one is going to go out and bust a gut in these matches. Right now I have a lot of better ways to spend roughly $100 when you figure a couple of tickets, parking and concessions.