BBVA Compass Stadium - all events - 2012

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Apr 20, 2012.

1. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tickets may start at $70 and go up to $150. lol..

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if STHs get a pre-sale opportunity, is there a Hub de Stub site somewhere? Not that I would ever sell - this is like Christmas, Easter, Cinco de Mayo, Three Kings Day, and World Cup 2nd round Elimination Day all rolled into one for me. Hell, throw Juneteenth in there too!

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juneteenth reference, nice WC.

So BBVA opens with an international friendly with the U.S.A. U-17's in May, U.S.A. Rugby Eagles in June and Los Mexicanos WCQ here in October.

If I want to witness U.S.A. WCQ I have to travel to Columbus but if I want to see Guyana n Mexico I can just take it easy at home.
    Riiiight.

4. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 6 short months BBVA has garnered more respect than Frisco Hot Pocket Park of Penguins.

ra azua and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    correct.

whether its Mexico or USA or New Zealand/El Salvador its nothing but beneficial to Houston, the East End, BBVA, AEG, the Houston Dynamo, local fans of the game to be a bonfide site for international matches. making promoters, the team, sponsors, beer vendors money only begets more events.

Reliant was a big blow to the Alamodome and now the new Dallas Cowboy stadium has taken events away from Reliant. its important that BBVA stays relevant for a while.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said rey.
    I always mentioned in the years past in our search for an MLS club for our city that you don't build a $95-100 million downtown stadium to then let soccer events just get handed over to Reliant.

7. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Celt and Rey are gonna be agreeing on stuff, I'm just gonna stop reading BigSoccer. I need the back and forth debate between y'all.

*rey* repped this.
  8. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That makes no sense. Soccer teams would much rather be in Reliant $tadium than BBVA. Fans would prefer Reliant b/c the prices were somewhat reasonable. The field tix would be $50-70. You could get a seat for $20-$30 in an upper deck and have money to take more of the family.

ra azua repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reasons this isn't at Reliant is probably because the Texans play next Sunday and they didn't want to swap fields out and the rental fee is probably lower at BBVA.

I don't see BBVA Compass Stadium taking many Reliant-level events away at all except for odd last minute ones like this. BBVA will get the old Robertson events in part because there will be no Robertson for a year or two when UH rebuilds it and also because once they build the new stadium the rent will be higher.

Expect a lot of El Salvador, Honduras, Monterrey, etc.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    World Cup Qualifier added:

Sat 05/05 EXH Dynamo Practice 9:00 am
    Thu 05/10 EXH D. Academy v. USA U17 7:30 pm
    Sat 05/12 MLS Dynamo v. DC United 3:30 pm
    Tue 05/15 MLS Dynamo v. P. Timbers 7:30 pm
    Wed 05/23 EXH El Salvador v. New Zealand 7:30 pm
    Sat 05/26 MLS Dynamo v. LA Galaxy 1:30 pm
    Thu 05/31 EXH Dynamo v. Valencia CF 7:30 pm

Sat 06/16 MLS Dynamo v. FC Dallas 4:00 pm
    Sat 06/16 RSV D. Reserves v. FCD 6:30 pm
    Wed 06/20 MLS Dynamo v. Toronto FC 8:00 pm
    Sat 06/23 IRB USA Rugby v. Italy 7:30 pm
    Sat 06/30 MLS Dynamo v. Phila. Union 7:30 pm

Tue 07/03 MLS Dynamo v. Chicago Fire 7:30 pm
    Sun 07/15 MLS Dynamo v. DC United 8:00 pm
    Wed 07/18 MLS Dynamo v. Sporting KC 7:30 pm
    Sat 07/21 MLS Dynamo v. M. Impact 7:30 pm
    Sun 07/22 USA U17/18 Championship game 8:00 pm
    Mon 07/23 USA U15/16 Championship game 8:00 pm

Fri 08/03 MLS Dynamo v. NY Red Bulls 7:00 pm
    Sun 08/19 MLS Dynamo v. Columbus Crew 8:00 pm
    Sat 08/25 MLS Dynamo v. Toronto FC 7:30 pm
    Fri 08/31 HSF Cy Ranch v. Cinco Ranch 7:30 pm

Sat 09/01 HSF Cy Woods v. Klein Collins 7:00 pm
    Thu 09/06 MLS Dynamo v. R. Salt Lake 7:30 pm
    Sat 09/08 EXH Tigres v. Aguila 7:30 pm
    Sat 09/15 CFB Jackson St @ TSU 7:30 pm
    Thu 09/20 CCL Dynamo v. FAS 7:00 pm
    Sat 09/22 CFB Alabama A&M @ TSU 11:00 am
    Thu 09/27 CFB Sam Houston St @ TSU 7:00 pm
    Sat 09/29 MLS Dynamo v. NE Revolution 7:30 pm

Sat 10/06 MLS Dynamo v. M. Impact 7:30 pm
    Fri 10/12 WCQ Guyana v. Mexico 8:00 pm
    Sat 10/20 MLS Dynamo v. Phila. Union 6:30 pm
    Tue 10/23 CCL Dynamo v. Olimpia 7:00 pm
    Sat 10/27 CFB Grambling @ TSU 4:00 pm
    Wed 10/31 MLS Playoffs

Sat 11/03 CFB AR-Pine Bluff @ TSU 2:00 pm
    Sun 11/04 MLS Playoffs
    Wed 11/07 MLS Playoffs
    Sat 11/10 MLS Conference Finals
    Sat 11/17 CFB Mississippi Valley @ TSU 1:00 pm
    Sun 11/18 MLS Conference Finals

Sat 12/01 MLS MLS Cup

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it makes no sense to you.
    To others that have dealt with leasing stadiums for soccer games in the state of Texas it makes lots of sense as there are a multitude of factors that go into an official road World Cup qualifier being played(as host) by some small FA like Guyana and a highly valued roster that a Mexico will field. It may be cut and dry in your world Yossarin but this is simply not how the real world works.
    Even if there is the scheduling conflict with Reliant, Guyana has a list of things to consider for finding a site best suited for their FA, their players and Mexico's players. Then there are the up front costs for a small FA on renting out a Reliant.
    The overhead for any event at Reliant is $275,000. Where as BBVA is a heckava lot less at most likely $75,000. So that's $200,000 someone has to punt up to secure the facility before any tickets are sold or beer bought.
    Then there are crossover competing sponsorships with certain stadiums. Like rival beer sponsors for club or country that collide with the NFL team's brand.
    Then there are FIFA field dimension issues at many of our nation's newer NFL stadiums specifically because some genius read the local high school field dimension requirements and wasn't diligent enough to simply navigate to FIFA.com and make sure the new NFL stadium is FIFA official international match date. Reliant just barely gets in on this requirement by removing corner seats to host (which is an additional labor cost) and Lincoln Financial up in Philly the architect did not act on FIFA requirements and cost that city WCQ opportunities.
    Then there is the idea of allowing some nation's, in this case Mexico, allowing their multimillion dollar players to play on the best natural grass surface possible.
    At first glance having Mexico in the Alamodome or Jerryworld is more ideal yet there are turf costs or forcing players on to turf, so Reliant is next yet that has turf issues per owner cuz if they play on the Texans's surface it falls short of FIFA official dimensions if the seats dont get moved, or go rodeo and take out the tray system to lay down a temporary grass field and a substantial cost to Guyana.
    BBVA offers less seats, true, yet has most NFL stadiums in the South n Southwest beat hands down in getting the best setting with dimensions and natural low cut for soccer grass field.

Heft and redinthemorning repped this.
  12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    that's true, but a part of me thinks watching a Mexico in an intimate stadium with out-of-this-world sightlines will be worth $50-$70. i do wish the price point was much lower but my theory is tha tthe promoter only has 10 days to sell this game and had to pad the tix price. if they had had 3 months to promote this game we may have seen $30-$50 price points. maybe.

13. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    As a fan of the USMNT, I don't like the fact that the game is here at BBVA. It only helps connect the MXNT to the soccer fan base in the region.

It works against the hope that the USMNT will eventually win over those fans who may be natural born or naturalized citizens that have family ties to Mexcio and a heritage of following the MXNT. It may also generate more dollars for the MXNT than it would otherwise garner for a game in Guyana. Probably the only way for the US to succeed increasing it's popularity with that group is to become more successful as a national team in all competitions (including games against Mexico). If that's the case, maybe it doesn't really matter that they play here.

As a fan of the Dynamo maybe I am supportive of the game only if the club somehow gets a finacial winfall that can be invested into coaching salary, player salary, and transfer target money.

14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It works against the USNT because they flat refuse to play in Houston, be it a friendly, WCQ, anything of their choosing. If they actually, you know, played games down here, more people would connect with them. Since all we get is the Mexican team, that is who regular peeps connect with.

US wants to win over casual fans in Houston? Play games here.

Heft repped this.
  15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    word.

why blame the MexFed for not having their heads up their butts and actually being saavy marketers/money makers. blame this on the USSF for not having vision (when it comes to Houston).

btw, technically this game has nothing to do with the MexFed. this is Guyana's home game and they negotiated the deal then sent word to MNT of where to show up. me thinks they wanted us to show up in Phoenix instead so they could win on forfeit.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And until BBVA Compass was built, where would the USSF put the friendly games? Reliant? Oh, that's right, they've done that vs. Mexico. They have in a normal year, maybe 8 games a year to host in the US? Take into consideration that Reliant is unavailable for many dates due to Texans, Rodeo, other events and that it has a pretty high rental fee, and it makes no sense to host Sweden at Reliant in early February.

Well, I guess they could have hosted games at Robertson Stadium. I'm sure the USSF would really impress in hosting bigwigs from sponsors like AT&T and Adidas by taking them over to Frenchy's Fried Chicken before the game and having them walk up Scott St to the game.

Claiming that the US playing one game every other year or so in Houston would "connect" them with soccer fans in Houston is absurd. Define "regular peeps" for me. Do you mean US citizens? Or is it a form of the mythical creature, the Mexican Fan Yetti?

Pretty sure that in most countries, the home nation doesn't have to "win over" casual fans, because most casual fans, you know, actually support the country that they live in and were born in and that give them the rights they have to live freely. Most countries aren't full of fans like Jose de Jesus Ortiz.

Dynamo_Forever and The_Ponce repped this.
  17. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He won...all of y'all bow down in honor of the greatness that is WESTSIDE COSMO!!! </thread>

18. ra azua

ra azua Member

May 10, 2009
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    im one of those fans.. i love soccer, but at the right price.
    $140 for 2hrs entertainment (mex and guyana?) i dont see the value in that. i would rather throw a bbq, show the game on the projector in back yard, and still have money left over... not to mention beer and fajita leftovers for the entire week... but thats just me:)

Levy2k6 repped this.
  19. ForeverOrange91

May 27, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree as a fellow fan of the USMNT, but I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with what you said. I have no knowledge of the finances behind the game and who will end up with what (including the Dynamo), but if there's money to be made, you can't blame the powers that be for jumping on the opportunity. It feels wrong to me for our stadium to host a team that will soon be in direct competition with us for a World Cup spot, but it's not the organization/stadium ownership group's responsibility to try to convert fans to one team or another by hosting/not hosting certain events.

Along the same lines, USSF could play a USMNT game here for the next decade without Mexico playing a single one here and it still probably wouldn't make a dent. I think you got it right; in most cases, it will probably take a lot of success and maybe a few more generations for the USMNT to increase their popularity with that group you spoke of. A few more players of Mexican descent playing for the USMNT would probably help the cause as well. That's something that's affected by different factors for each individual person, so it's hard to say what will make a certain person support one side or the other (or both). Personally, I'd still support USMNT if they never played another game in Houston because that's all I know and have connections to. I just can't imagine too many people that have ties to both countries deciding to loyally follow one or the other because they played more than the other country in a local setting.

On another note, I wouldn't mind USMNT playing at least all the WCQs at one venue, but that's a different story for a different thread and different day.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Women's rugby tournament annually starting Feb. 1st, 2013. Ortiz must be disappointed we got the women's rugby team but not USWNT

The_Ponce repped this.
  21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We haven't not got the USWNT yet. Getting one doesn't eliminate the chances of getting something else. This tournament is just one weekend every year. If anything, the more events you get the better your chances of getting more.

The_Ponce repped this.
  22. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome. The IRB is really taking a shine to Houston. To host this event every year until Rio 2016, is a big endorsment. I think we'll see a World Cup qualifier (men's) this cycle.

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It was a decent turn-out for the USA v Italy match.

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Honduras friendly added:

Sat 05/05 EXH Dynamo Practice 9:00 am
    Thu 05/10 EXH D. Academy v. USA U17 7:30 pm
    Sat 05/12 MLS Dynamo v. DC United 3:30 pm
    Tue 05/15 MLS Dynamo v. P. Timbers 7:30 pm
    Wed 05/23 EXH El Salvador v. New Zealand 7:30 pm
    Sat 05/26 MLS Dynamo v. LA Galaxy 1:30 pm
    Thu 05/31 EXH Dynamo v. Valencia CF 7:30 pm

Sat 06/16 MLS Dynamo v. FC Dallas 4:00 pm
    Sat 06/16 RSV D. Reserves v. FCD 6:30 pm
    Wed 06/20 MLS Dynamo v. Toronto FC 8:00 pm
    Sat 06/23 IRB USA Rugby v. Italy 7:30 pm
    Sat 06/30 MLS Dynamo v. Phila. Union 7:30 pm

Tue 07/03 MLS Dynamo v. Chicago Fire 7:30 pm
    Sun 07/15 MLS Dynamo v. DC United 8:00 pm
    Wed 07/18 MLS Dynamo v. Sporting KC 7:30 pm
    Sat 07/21 MLS Dynamo v. M. Impact 7:30 pm
    Sun 07/22 USA U17/18 Championship game 8:00 pm
    Mon 07/23 USA U15/16 Championship game 8:00 pm

Fri 08/03 MLS Dynamo v. NY Red Bulls 7:00 pm
    Sun 08/19 MLS Dynamo v. Columbus Crew 8:00 pm
    Sat 08/25 MLS Dynamo v. Toronto FC 7:30 pm
    Fri 08/31 HSF Cy Ranch v. Cinco Ranch 7:30 pm

Sat 09/01 HSF Cy Woods v. Klein Collins 7:00 pm
    Thu 09/06 MLS Dynamo v. R. Salt Lake 7:30 pm
    Sat 09/08 EXH Tigres v. Aguila 7:30 pm
    Sat 09/15 CFB Jackson St @ TSU 7:30 pm
    Thu 09/20 CCL Dynamo v. FAS 7:00 pm
    Sat 09/22 CFB Alabama A&M @ TSU 11:00 am
    Thu 09/27 CFB Sam Houston St @ TSU 7:00 pm
    Sat 09/29 MLS Dynamo v. NE Revolution 7:30 pm

Sat 10/06 MLS Dynamo v. M. Impact 7:30 pm
    Fri 10/12 WCQ Guyana v. Mexico 8:00 pm
    Sat 10/20 MLS Dynamo v. Phila. Union 6:30 pm
    Tue 10/23 CCL Dynamo v. Olimpia 7:00 pm
    Sat 10/27 CFB Grambling @ TSU 4:00 pm

Sat 11/03 CFB AR-Pine Bluff @ TSU 2:00 pm
    Sun 11/04 MLS Playoffs
    Sat 11/10 MLS Conference Finals
    Wed 11/14 EXH Honduras v. Peru TBA
    Sat 11/17 CFB Mississippi Valley @ TSU 1:00 pm

Sat 12/01 MLS MLS Cup

25. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing we can't host the Cup this year (I'm gonna go ahead and say the Whitecaps aren't going very far), because the pitch would be an absolute mess.

EDIT: Now that I look at the schedule again, that's actually not bad. Totally misread the TSU game as being the 27th.