BBC: Italian football counts cost of stagnation

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Scotty, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Italian football counts cost of stagnation
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26351331

2. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  3. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3 mattteo, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    The biggest reason is that owners, due to the heavy crisis generated by economic policies put in place in Italy by neoliberals in the past 15 years, have transitioned from using football teams as a publicity stunt/way to launder money from tax evasion to using them as a source of revenue for their holdings (sometimes the biggest source, to the point of using football revenues as cover for other losses). That's why expenses were cut and teams have decreased in quality (and not just in terms of players...I believe the biggest drop in quality compared to 10/15 years ago is in coaching and training).

Everything else (vaning interest by the general public, stagnating TV contracts, lack of sponsorships, outdated infrastructure, struggles in selling TV rights abroad) is a consequence.

falvo and Loddar repped this.
  4. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of italians arent as big of a fan of the sport like english, german or spanish are. Majority of italians i meet dont care for futbol but majority of english, german or spanish people i meet love it or at least follow it somewhat.

i remember back in the days stadiums like olimpico were full houses and now days all you see are empty blue seats. this is a major problem. aside from crappy old stadiums that look ugly. its a problem when even much smaller leagues have nicer stadiums.

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    One English side was eliminated yesterday. Another will be gone later today. The other two have not made their second leg paths any easier. The BBC should stick to crap at home.

6. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    English media pisses on Italian soccer.
    Is there anything more of a nonstory in the world?
    "Sun rises. People breathe air. English media hate Italian soccer."

vesuviani and el napulitan repped this.
  7. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    its a two way street but you cannot deny they know how to sell a product and attract talent.

8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Its been known for years England market their league well, quality is in general meh, watch sky sports and they would have you believe watching epl its better than a bj...English football is over rated, they rip fans of price wise and the football is in general crap.

Series A needs a lot of work but the standard of footballer, Italy v England is still mikes in Italy's favour. They have few players who don't a shit themselves within 15 feet of an opponent

el napulitan and Loddar repped this.
  9. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    This quote is quite telling and the reason I hope more Serie A teams get their own stadium (including my beloved Roma of course)

10. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nobody denies that but my point is on the quality of their football recently pointed out by roy keane, OK so many knew that for years but the pundits/commentators are salesmen and he has been the first to answer no bull

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Want a comparison of quality of football? Ask Tevez.

12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Both Italian and English players could learn from swapping leagues but British players would have the biggest leap in improvement. They might actually be dangerous on the international stage if they learned about tactics, technical ability and you know how to play the game without the headless chicken approach.

They're already making excuses for the game in Brazil, oh its going to be too hot. They're getting their asses handed to them again. They're not leaving that group.

13. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    I don't think english football is of better quality but most people don't even turn on Serie A because they never have and EPL is in their face (especially here in North America). If more Italian teams start doing well in Europe again, it will help a lot in attracting fans.

14. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    calcio is like food there are people who like spicy food and others that like mild doesnt mean either dish is better than the other just means people have different preferences. The english teams play in a style that best suits their league as do italian teams, dutch, greek, and so on and so fourth. At the end of the day if Serie A wants to improve it needs to start selling the sizzle and not the steak as people here in the USA say.

15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    But then where is the beef?

16. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    between the hamburger bun.

17. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You can't sell when the quality is not up to scratch with competition. Quality as in overall marketing and package. Italy in this sense is practically dead and needs years of work.

18. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    well thats why we need to create and build more family friendly stadiums and create friendly areas around the stadium as well. This "no al calcio moderno" shit needs to stop you either change or die. Its like running any business if you dont make changes your business will die.

19. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    There's a middle ground. Lots of English fans would love for a standing section. All seaters have lowered the volume. So yes move forward but don't cut out everything that made football what it was. I can't imagine an Italian stadium without colour and yes flares.

All clubs need to unite on this to force changes to regulations. A special law should be passed to remove football stadiums for the endless paperwork. Help the clubs but then I guess right now money is at a shortage in Italy.

Its such a big problem with many layers but something has to be done as a whole movement imo

20. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italians only come together for meal times outside of that good luck lol. There is to much distrust amongst owners of italian clubs for them to ever come together and work things out and make the entire league better.

21. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    The endless bureaucracy and the closed minded view of people doesn't help.

My cousin lives in Rome, loves going to concerts but is not a soccer fan. I told her the odds were good that Rome will have a new stadium soon that will also be able to host concerts, etc and her answer was, "i hope not".

La Magica repped this.
  22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well referring to your post 18, you want change before it collapses completely but here believe owners won't come together. I just that has a big possibility for truth, especially the smaller owners who certainly don't trust the big clubs but if you want change try.

23. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    A lot of the Italian owners want their own stadiums, you can thank Italy's regulations for the loopholes and why owners can't build their own stadiums. Lots of old farts in council want to collect money from stadiums without actually doing anything to the stadiums. So the more stadiums being built in Italy the better.

el napulitan repped this.
  24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The EPL is down to one side in the CL. Let's see if that holds today.

25. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Im stuck in two minds. Part of me wants them to get tanked today but then surely Moyes time has come to an end and our fun :(, other wants me for them to get through and then we have a potential 6-7 goal beating by a bayern , real on our hands and that may be more epic. Its not a mountain to climb for them today if the few decent individuals put in a good shift. The Greeks are really nothing special