Bayern TV Thread - U.S. and elsewhere

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by ForeverRed, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I freaking hate Sky Germany...

Until last year I watched Bundesliga on LigaTotal! (Telekom product) via IPTV and they had 13 minutes half-time analysis with 2 minutes commercials.

Sadly Telekom lost the sole IPTV rights and starting this season they had to broadcast the Sky feed with 13 minutes commercials and 2 minutes 'analysis'.

*sigh*

2. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1st world problems.....I wish I could have that problem in true HD.

3. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    #603 Emperor_Norton, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Well, Sky Germany has to make money. And since many Germans don`t want to pay the regular subscription fees, they have to find other ways to refinance their programme somehow...

4. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I'm a paying customer and the product got worse that's for sure. Telekom also had a very competitive offer on the table for the Bundesliga rights but the league was afraid that Sky could go bust without exclusive rights.

Whether or not that was the right decision, I can't say. However I don't see how Sky makes a lot more money by feeding Telekom Entertain their football feed instead of leaving the IPTV rights to Telekom.

5. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    Well, I am also a paying customer - and I get to see every BL,CL and German Cup match on Sky Germany. I simply can`t complain.

I don`t have any insight into Sky D`s business plan - but they seem to be making money now (for the first time in 20 years) and the number of people subscribing to Sky has grown rapidly since they won the rights.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  6. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Your situation is different from mine. You're used to a worse half-time analysis and can't complain because nothing changed while my service got worse. Fairly simple.

Furthermore Sky's numbers increased for quite a while prior to the 2013/14 season so further growth at a constant level is no real proof of a positive impact from sole rights ownership.

7. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    Agree. But why should Sky Germany sublicence BL rights to Telekom customers and offer them a better viewing experience? They probably want Telekom customers to go to Sky where they can not only watch BL, but also CL,EL,German Cup,PL and, in my case, Serie A in HD.

It`s not a proof, I agree again. But I simply doubt that Sky`s positive development after the rights auction is a mere coincidence.

8. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You neglect the fact that Telekom had a very competitive offer for the BL rights on the table. If I recall correctly they were within € 20m of each other per season. Telekom also had a significant offer for sole IPTV rights as plan B on the table which would have even increased the total amount of money for the Bundesliga but the Bundesliga bowed to Sky's demands.

Was that the right decision? Keeping LigaTotal! and Sky both alive would have led to a situation where both pay-tv providers are strong competitors on the market. Certainly a better negotiating position for the league in later broadcasting rights auctions.

I believe they were pressured by Sky and its mother company with the image of Sky going bust and a reminder what the Kirch media bust meant for the league.

Well we'll see how it pans out. I just liked LigaTotal!'s half-time analysis. That's all. It was neat and great for the consumer is all I'm saying. I have to live with Sky Germany for the next three years there's no way around it.

Emperor_Norton repped this.
  9. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    13 minutes of commercials with 2 minutes of analysis is par for the course in the US. Basically every football match on any TV channel is handled that way.

10. FCB-fan

FCB-fan Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Agreed with this. It's almost alien to see otherwise when it comes to football matches, especially when the games are covered by freaking Wynalda and Barton.

11. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @nekkibasara i know that you have fox soccer to go, but do you know if they will be broadcsting the world cup this coming summer? if no, do you know what would be brodcasting this online? (i am ok with paying money)

12. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The ESPN family of networks are broadcasting the WM, including online with Watch ESPN.

Dhajj repped this.
  13. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not until 2018 I believe..

I think they take over the euro 2016 aswell??

14. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i thought the broadcasting right was with fox and with espn for the world cup?

15. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fox would be news to me. I am not sure ESPN would relinquish an ounce of broadcasting time to a competitor for a signature event like this.

16. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    woah. had no idea the rights is with ESPN. thanks!!!

time to cancel my cable ...

17. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  18. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ha I thought Fox had the WC rights too. Interesting that Sky didn't get the rights in Germany.

19. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    I think Sky D didn`t want the rights. Nobody is going to subscribe to Sky D if he can see every match for free on ARD/ZDF. Sky also didn`t buy La Liga rights,because they are available for free on the internet via laola.tv

20. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry for the late reply. Everyone else basically answered this. The reason that I pay for foxsoccer2go is so that I can watch all of the German CL matches live and on demand. I'm hoping that they will offere something similar when they get the BL rights for the 2015-2016 season.

Fox does have rights to the WC, but not until either 2018 or 2022. I can't remember which.

goindownsouth repped this.
  21. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm curious. How many of you here subscribe to FCB.tv?

22. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would like to, but just can't afford

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea, completely understandable. If the rates are reduced, would you be more willing to subscribe?

Because so many people don't have access to GolTV I'm just curious how people consume the Bundesliga/Bayern games.

24. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Does BayernTV stream the games?

25. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I subscribe to it. It's fantastic to see all the player inteveriews, every match in HD, pregame and post game press conferences etc.

Honestly, even if it was available on US TV, I'd rather watch with German commentary on Bayern's website.