Battrick thread, Part IV

Discussion in 'Battrick' started by Bluto11, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    It only took me fifteen overs to match this guy's run total, and I didn't have a batsman get out. I knew he wouldn't be even with the big boys for long.

2. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Norse is on the way to another big target, angling for 300+ against Knuckleheads. Seargeant was out earlier than usual, only putting up 67 runs, but Surman is picking up the slack with a monster day, standing at 142 runs on 139 balls after 43 overs. We're currently at 281-1 midway through the 44th over.

3. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    winningconnection look like they'll have a makeable target against Rovers Town as that match stands at 214-9.

Los Burritos appear likely to bow out, as they were bowled out quickly to leave Shadoedale a low target of 141-10.

Norse has given up a couple of late wickets, as Surman is gone at 144 and Cox soon after at 59. We have a comfortable 303-3 barely into the 47th over.

4. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Won my friendly over a II series team, so that's encouraging. Also, I now have enough sponsor and interest money to make about 10k a week with no gate receipts.

5. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The target for winningconnection is 218-10, and they're slightly ahead of the pace early on.

Norse has set a target of 328-5, with Knuckeheads' innings just underway.

6. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won my last league game over a bot. Held him to 66 runs. With a little good fortune I think I may contend for my series.

7. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Won my friendly in only 8.2 overs - ouch!

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    running through rovers now... ********... just lost 2 wickets in 2 balls... now its 102/4 but still no worries. I've got 3 good batsmen left one ok guy and lots of overs.

9. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bourne and Baker look scary, both in economy and in the fast pair of wickets to Baker. Oops, make that a third. Until you ran into those two, I thought you were cruising to a win, now it looks really chancy.

As anticipated, Burritos went down to Shadoedale.

Norse is cruising at 5.28 run rate conceded, a little higher than I'd like but enough to give a fairly healthy margin. Liburd is a small concern bowling as he gave up a monster over after opening with one of two runs. Newsome is under three runs economy as usual, the other right around five.

10. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No sooner than I say that than do Knuckleheads drop a couple of monster overs on Newsome and Dempster, pushing the required run rate back down to 8.41. I would have thought that unreachable, but with their batsmen reaching their stride I'm not so sure.

Meanwhile, winningconnection have kept up the chase and now have the target in sight, with 166-5 after 36 overs.

11. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The winningconnection vs. Rovers Town match is getting crazy... can winningconnection hold on to get the eight runs they need with only two wickets left?

Norse has gradually worn down Knuckleheads as the steady bowling has slowly ratcheted up the needed run rate. With Dempster bowling their excellent batsman Summers, it looks like this match is secure.

12. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the predicted cup draw for round 7 -- note that Norse is now the 3rd highest remaining seed!

8 Strong Arm Steady hosts 1 Saint Barth Blondes (Saint Barth a strong favorite)
    7 The Bosstones hosts 2 Cow Shot Corner (Bosstones a slight favorite, may come down to fitness)
    6 Borderliners hosts 3 Norse Athletic Club
    5 winningconnection hosts 4 Shadoedale CC

Norse has a slight batting edge but Borderliners appears to have a big bowling edge. This one could very easily come down to fitness... how much fitness do they have, and do I decide to spend my fitness in a GFI in this match? Borderliners will presumably be running a dusty pitch, a decidedly odd choice with their two top bowlers (and four out of five total) being seamers. Er, wait a minute... maybe it was just passing through dusty, as pulling up the ground shows green... that's just odd.

I'm expecting this match to be a slobberknocker. It could very easily see the highest combined ratings in Windies history.

winningconnection will be a heavy underdog to Shadoedale, as Og's squad looks to be stronger in top-order batting and both varieties of bowling.

13. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah... ouch. My best batter scored 0 runs on 3 balls. I tried chaning my lineup around a bit and obviously that didn't work.

14. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tried pulling a bowler with my proficient YS, didn't work out so well:

Battrick Rating: 1,253
    Wages: £255 p/w

Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: abysmal
    Batting: woeful Concentration: mediocre
    Bowling: abysmal Consistency: woeful
    Fielding: abysmal

15. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i've got the top 2 teams in my series, probably contributing to me getting smoked every week. I've got Saint Barth Blondes this week in the league. My fitness levels are high, but morale is at pessimistic. I'm going to lose anyway so morale will probably go down again, but I could TIE and get my fitness to go up again. hmmm.

16. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    no pops in training. this season is a wash so i'm going to concentrate my training no fielding and fitness, with primary skills being trained for my two new youth pulls. my fielding sucks, woeful, and my fitness levels are not very good either.

17. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sulieman Seargeant is now up to superb batting (along with quality concentration). He might be the best batsman in the Windies right now from a pure batting standpoint -- the other known competitor, Summers on Knuckleheads, was also at strong batting going into this training, so at worst Seargeant is even on batting skill, and I don't recall seeing other monsters posted. Seargeant has better concentration but not as good stamina or fielding. Summers has mediocre bowling so could be an all-arounder, but his owner has indicated that he does not plan to devote any bowling sessions to him.

The only drawback to this is... he's critical to my offense (he's close to a guaranteed 50 runs now and frequently posts 100+) and national team duty will take him away from FC matches, whenever those get underway.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    wow... nice... how old is Seargeant and if u don't mind, what was he when u first got him and how many batting coaches have u used for him?

I'm asking cuz I've got a gem on my hands in Theo Owens who is proficient/competent w/ resp. stamina and is just 17. I've got another 17yo who is a bowler and I'm considering making these two players my sole trainees (or maybe just 1 other trainee) next season.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Does anyone have an idea on how many Sports Psychs are useful?

20. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    good lord.

i've got a 19 year old at strong batting. but his conc is feeble and his stamina is woeful. He's currently getting one batting session, one fielding, and one fitness. I'm sure he won't pop in batting again this season, but his conc should go up as well as fitness.

21. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My best player is actually my wicketkeeper

I still need to work on his stamina -- I have held off on stamina until they change the rules on stamina training!!

But here are his stats:

Matt Drury - 18 yo, BT Rating=26,118
    RH Batsman, RF Bowler, strong form, Healthy
    A destructive player with proficient leadership skills and abysmal experience.
    Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: strong
    Batting: mediocre Concentration: remarkable
    Bowling: worthless Consistency: competent
    Fielding: mediocre

I have been training him in both w/k and batting, as he popped to mediocre today and remarkable today as well, I may focus my batting training that he was getting to a 17 yo batsman instead.

22. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    when are they going to change stamina training and what is going to be different??

23. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There has been no decision, but in one of the earlier IRC sessions it was hinted that it may be changed.

Some people expressed alarm as they have been training stamina and didn't want other players to do it later with quicker results.

I can see their point but as my stamina is my weak link on my team and I had very little success with it early on in season one, I am waiting.

If isn't changed, then I will be selling players and replacing them with higher skilled players stamina players in the future. They are gonna be crucial when we get to the First Class matches.

24. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    gotcha. The stamina of my bowlers really hampers them, so i've been training some of the younger ones in stamina so I can replace the older ones.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    exactly the approach I was planning on... it makes sense either way... some will train decent players up to good stamina and those w/ players w/ out good stamina will buy them while others will train players w/ not so good stamina up to good skill and those willing to train stamina will pick up said players.