Alert: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Teso Dos Bichos, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's bullshit. How am I supposed to evaluate the product?

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gamefly?

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jumped into a little Rush last night, and totally forgot about the 2 new VIP maps that were made available.

I got so used to the regular maps that when Laguna Presa loaded up I was totally lost and ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. I made up for it after my team lost and we headed to good old Laguna Alta where (even though I'm not a K/D ratio wh0re) had my best round probably ever with a whopping 4.60 K/D ratio. :cool:

I also snagged the "Superior Service Duty" insignia (1 day spent online, yikes) as well as the "Elite Battlefield Knowledge" insignia (5 gold stars). I managed to pull down a 12k+ total score in one round alone thanks to those 2 insignias, jumping me from a low Sergeant II (rank 11) to a high Sergeant III (rank 12) just like that, plus unlocking some choice weapons/gadgets like the PP-2000 AVTOMAT, M93R BURST, and the Ceramic Body Armor.

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any other BC2 players dabbled with Conquest mode yet? The 3 or 4 games I joined had only a handful of people in there. It just doesn't seem as popular as either of the Rush modes or Squad Deathmatch.

Also, to follow-up on the recently released MW2 Stimulus Pack, DICE has "pledged that it will never charge for downloadable map packs". I'll believe it until proven otherwise, I guess.

5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet but I plan to at some point just so I can get the "win on every game type" cheevo.

6. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conquest is a lot of fun, and is sometimes better than Rush. Some Rush games can last 30-40 minutes if you have good teams, whereas Conquest can sometimes only be about 15-20 mins. The Conquest ones have around 3-4 different flags that can be each be captured and defended, so it's not like Rush where all the defense is grouped together.

7. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Just got this game a few days ago, and it's a lot of fun. Still can't seem to get any kills as a sniper, but it's been like that with every shooter I've played.

My XBL tag is ias one, by the way.

8. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key thing to remember is that the bullets are affected by gravity, so you need to aim higher than normal to get a shot from far away. And to get a direct kill, you need to get a headshot, or hope the guy is already slightly injured. Depending on how far away the guys is, to get that headshot, you will actually be aiming at a spot above his head.

Also, if they're running, make sure to lead them.

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night it seemed like every server I joined was barely populated, regardless of the game type, and it was 9P EDT, not like the wee hours of the morning.

Playing some Rush on Arica Harbor, it was me and some other guy as attackers with only one defender. Then I went onto Squad Rush and it was the same balance, 2 v 1, with the 1 disconnecting shortly after I joined, leaving it 2 v 0. No point in 2 guys defending the sole M-com station against no opponents. Then I popped into a Squad DM game, which seems a bit more intense when you realize that there are three other squads out to get you. One squad was comprised of all snipers, however, hanging out up against some cliff on the edge of the map (so nobody could approach them from behind), and were picking people off at will. Wasn't all that fun.

Just sent you a friend request. We need to form up a BigSoccer Kill Squad and own some servers one night.

10. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bring the beer!

:D

11. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Well, I just lost all of my stats/rank/guns for no apparent reason. Fun. Granted, I was only a level 5, but it takes long to level up in this game.

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    April Fools?

13. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question, because someone's a level 6 already.

I know you don't like sleep and all, so I guess that is possible.

14. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who here is on the PS3 version?

15. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am. I just got this game and just played online for the first time. I pretty much suck, but hey, it's fun. I'm Ecualung.

16. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm away on business this week, but I'll add you when I get back. Don't worry, there's a bit of a learning curve, but you'll eventually get the hang of it.

Just remember, to get easy points, as Assault and Medic, drop Ammo and Medkits like it's your job. They stay around for a while and you will rack up points whenever anyone gets near.

Once you get some more of the unlockables, things get a bit easier.

17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as an Engineer, hop into a Blackhawk (pray that the pilot is half-decent), take one of the secondary side gunner seats (without the chain gun), and use your repair tool to make in-flight repairs to the helicopter. It'll take some trial-and-error to find the exact spot on the door frame where the repairs will register - it's different each time I've done this - but it's well worth it.

1 person likes this.
  18. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HOLY CRAP!!! Really? I didn't know that! I'll have to give that a try...

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's very finicky though, so just keep an eye on the number/wrench showing the repair status of the chopper to know where the "right spot" is.

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In This Electronic War, Momentum Shifts to the Underdog

Via NYtimes.com.

21. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I am really close to just buying this now, rather than waiting until I get to the front of the queue (and have the points) on Goozex. I watched a single player mission, and it doesn't seem to be as silly as the first one (while still retaining the smart-ass characters, which is fine by me), it looks terrific... but I'm having a hard time evaluating the MP, which obviously would be the bulk of the gameplay.

Can anybody point any good videos of MP gameplay? Something that is representative of play (not heavily edited bits with their own soundtracks, please). Also, anyone who plays this and MW2 want to give an objective comparison? How are they similar? Different? Are there character persistence aspects? Custom classes, weapons, skins, etc?

22. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are both FPS games set in modern times with a leveling up/unlock reward system.

*The characters and guns feel heavier in Battlefield compared to MW2.
    *The leveling up system in Battlefield is based on which of the four classes you use (assault, medic, recon, & engineer) instead of what your rank is. For example if you want to get a new assault rifle you will need to gain a certain number of xp with your assault class.
    *Battlefield allows the use of vehicles
    *Battleifelds maps are huge compared to MW2
    *The Rush game mode on Battlefield is amazing and MW2 has nothing comparable to it. A Rush game can take about 20 to 30 minutes to finish but there are just so many great situational moments unfolding; whether your on the attack or defense, that the match length is hardly noticable. I love me MW2, I still play it more than Battlefield but I would say I've had a whole lot more awesome moments playing Battlefield than MW2, thanks to Rush.

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you level your class rather than your ID. Do you set up your class specs in the lobby, like with MW2's class creation? Or is there a mechanism in-game to swap up some aspect of your kit if you decide you want a different rifle, or whatever?

I presume you can switch between any of the class types at will in the game (at respawn time) like MW2?

Also, do you get any appearance customizations? I like the custom callsign stuff in MW2 (even if it's ultimately pointless - it's a customization aspect, and I enjoy that), but something I think these games all lack that, say, Rainbow Six Las Vegas 2 had in spades was changing your in-game avatar. You could unlock different camo patterns for your clothing, and build out a really specific look if you wanted.

I saw a sniping video, and the dude was practically shooting specks. It also looked like the sniper rifle sway (if there is any) is much much smaller. That sway is one of the most frustrating things about sniping in MW2 - you really have to get a feel for how to work with it.

To be honest, from what gameplay video I have seen (not much - want more!) the scale reminds me a lot of Operation Flashpoint 2 (which I really need to finish). Of course, OF2's damage model is significantly more realistic - if you are within 50 yards of a bad guy you are in some serious trouble.

24. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a little of both actually. You do level the class, which unlocks weapons/add-ons for that class specifically, but as you gain levels, there are universal unlocks such as handguns and shotguns that all classes can use.

You can switch in-game by picking up a kit from another player who's down (yours or theirs), and also once you die, you can change the loadout before respawning.

Not really here. The different classes will look different from one another, but that's about all I've seen. Never know if they'll release some add-on which might impact this tho.

There's not much sway, but the challenging thing is handling the gravity impact on the bullet. Shots from far away require a lot more adjustment.

25. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stayed up WAY too late last night playing Rush mode over, and over, and over. I mostly got my ass kicked but eventually I could dish it out as good as I got it. Rush mode is so damn fun-- I haven't played MW2 but I wouldn't switch from BBC2 at this point.