Alert: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Teso Dos Bichos, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Since some of us were discussing this in the MW2 thread I thought it would be good to create a new thread. Has anyone downloaded it yet?

2. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Downloading now. Big thing for me regarding the game is if there will be variety of gametypes, I liked the first BC game (other than the campaign) but eventually got tired of Gold Rush.

I would like to hear from people who are or got to play the Beta for the PS3 and PC and what they thought/think of it. Sounds like the 360 MP Demo is just one level.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I should have the man room finished after work tomorrow so I will give it a go then. 46" of HD goodness here I come. :)

4. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in on the Beta version of the demo for the PS3 and I can say that the multiplayer version of this is very improved from the original. The classes level up individually, and there's plenty of unlocks.

The demo that i had only had 1 map, and it was Gold Rush, not sure if they expanded it for this one. Teams work together more in this one, with everyone having their own role.

One thing I really liked about it was the ability to destroy the entire building, not just a few of the walls. You can actually have a building collapse on people inside... i found that out the hard way once. :)

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've downloaded the demo, but I haven't played it yet. The videos I've seen so far look pretty awesome, but (personally) I was underwhelmed by the demo from the first game, so I gave it a skip. I think it was the ridiculousness of the story/characters. Not that the MW stories aren't also ridiculously far-fetched, but I don't want my war games played for laughs.

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the commercial parodies of MGS 4 and Gears of War used for the first BF BC, I hope they do something similar for this game.

The squad dynamic is improved. Medic can heal & revive. Because the maps are massive, gravity actually effects long distance shots.

Still no prone, but if they allowed prone the sniper class would be unbalanced.

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I downloaded the demo, and didn't realize at first that it was multiplayer. I usually suck at console FPS games, so I normally would've passed on it, but was impressed with my skills. I was consistently between 3rd and 5th on my team (out of 10-12) for the half dozen rounds I played last night.

Sure, it could get a bit monotonous since there is only 1 map available in the demo - Construction Site - but it evolves and changes over the course of a round, so it really forces you to adapt your tactics and gameplay. I think I will be picking this game up.

I even managed to get run over by an ATV ...
    :eek:

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pre-ordered a Limited Edition copy yesterday, and subsequently went to Gamestop at lunch and traded in 3 games. They have some kind of deal where you get an additional 50% of the trade in value added on. I ended up getting just over $60 in store credit which will pay for my copy of BF:BC2 on Tuesday. :cool:

9. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pre-ordered mine thru Amazon. Ya get a $20 voucher towards a future purchase, which will promptly be put towards Red Dead Redemption.

Although it probably won't arrive until later next week, it'll give me enough time to finish up Uncharted 2 and get that Platinum trophy. Cuz if I don't do that now, it'll be a long time before I get back to it.

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm thinking I need time to finish up AC2 (probably won't take the time to collect all the feathers, however) before I jump into BC2 on Tuesday. I need something a little more faster-paced than Mass Effect and/or Fallout 3, and I missed the boat on (what seems to be a very glitchy game in) Modern Warfare 2.

11. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the heads up, Dills. I used the deal to pay for Heavy Rain and drop some dough on BC2 and MLB:The Show.

1 person likes this.
  12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BF:BC2 to have a free (for those who purchase the game new*) multiplayer map pack available upon release day, and another to come out sometime later in March.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6252472.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-XD8lJUv8g"]YouTube- Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Day 1 Map Pack Trailer[/ame]

*if you buy the game used later on, you will be charged for the DLC.

13. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a discussion about EA's latest trend in profiteering, where they charge for Launch-day DLC to those whom get the game used (presumably).

The next-generation of consoles are going to have to stimulate open development, in some way shape or form.

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's actually really smart as the people who bitch and moan the loudest about DLC cost etc will be buying the game on release day and therefore don't really care that it will cost money later.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you buy the game used - let's say for shiggles at 50% of the "new" cost. I don't see a problem with charging for this extra content later on. I'd think they (EA) don't get much profit-wise from the sales of used merchandise, so they have to try to capitalize on it somehow. It's not like anyone's being forced to purchase any DLC.

Ubisoft excluded two DNA Sequences from Assassin's Creed 2, leaving the game technically incomplete, even though they didn't really add much to the overall game experience. They (Ubisoft) released Sequence 12 at the end of January, and followed up with Sequence 13 near late/mid-February. As someone who came late and purchased the game new, albeit at a reduced price thanks to an Amazon.com sale, dropping an additional $5-6 on this DLC wasn't a big deal to me.

16. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This assumes that at $60(USD) you are getting value for money with the game you are purchasing. Personally, with sports games 60 dollars annually is ridiculous. Games like BF BC 2 that may have 12-24 months of play in them, the price is justified.

But Mass Effect 2, an RPG once you playthrough once or twice, what else is there? Wait for DLC more missions, higher levels more to the story, maybe.

17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pumped to jump online tonight and play some maps other than Port Valdez. Picking up my pre-order on my way home from work (no midnight release at my local GameStop). Passed the time last night getting re-acquainted with an old friend in the original Bad Company, and was the first time I had played MP with the game - ever (not having XBL when I originally got the game).

Didn't do too shabby - wasn't in last place on my team - and had a blast, even though I still kinda suck at console FPSs. :eek:

18. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be grabbing my copy after work too. I've been hearing good things about the campaign and have high hopes for it. Maybe I'll see ya in a multiplayer game some time this week, Dills.

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn skippy ... I know you friended me and all that on XBL, so I look forward to it.

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's been getting some very good reviews and most have them have commented on the improvements to the single player which is good. In BC it seemed to be just an after thought

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picked it up earlier today, looking forward to playing it tonightl

22. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After 2 hours with this game, I have to say I'm done with it. Trading it in tomorrow and waiting for World Cup 2010.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I like the campaign better than Modern Warfare 2. I like the destructibility of objects within the game and how it can totally ruin your cover.

Haven't played MP yet, but will probably jump in tomorrow or the day after.

24. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about that at first and was killed several times cause I thought I was safe in a building. After dying a couple of times though I learned my leason and even started using it to create my own exits in buildings when I felt too lazy to use the door. :D

Right now I'm early on in the campaign and the only beef I have with it is that I've been forced to advance too far out into no mans land to start up the next set piece only to be taken down from all sides before finding cover. I've tried waiting for the rest of the squad to move forward but it seems almost random when they choose advance first or follow me.

25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck getting in. I tried doing MP as soon as I fired the game up last night (around 11 PM) and every single gametype was booked full, no servers to be found to connect to. I guess that's what happens when you play on release day, huh?

I think the 2 gameday release MP maps are actually already on the disc, and your VIP code just unlocks them. After entering the code, I wasn't prompted to download anything; instead, the maps were shown as already being acquired. Glad to see my Garand M1 is unlocked thanks to the prerequisites at Battlefield Veterans, and the handful of LE perks are good to go.

So I jumped into the SP campaign, and initially thought I had bought the wrong game. Uhhh, who's this Wyatt guy, and where's Marlowe? ;) Pretty cool little intro to the storyline, and if you notice something the Japanese guy has in his possession, and paid attention to the game's trailers, you should probably catch on to what the plot will revolve around.