Battle of Tulsa

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by USRufnex, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know ... I just like to hear sound reasons for opinions other than mine. BS is no place to find that, and I know this. It is just entertainment, no matter the level, nothing different than a TV show in the grand scheme of things :)!

2. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #102 USRufnex, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Close but not quite.

On the surface, an NASL team called the Roughnecks would be great as far as I'm concerned, but it is far more important to have the right people involved who understand and appreciate the legacy.... that's far harder to achieve than finding a few token opportunists who have no problems exploiting a name they know precious little about...

Sonny and Dr. Kern of the Tulsa Athletics understand and appreciate the legacy, not just of the old Roughnecks, but the legacy of a handful of players who built Tulsa's club level system from the ground up. If they decided on USL Pro, I'd honor that decision; if they opted for the NASL, I'd respect that as well. I just hope they win the high stakes game of soccer poker that seems to be going on in Okieland these days... they certainly deserve it.

http://www.tulsaathletics.com/news/proklahomans-legends-edition-billy-caskey/

Billy Caskey: Well, I don’t know how the fans would feel about that. That’s a one off thing that’ll never happen again. They’ll never resemble the Roughnecks that we had here, all those years ago. I think the name should be put to rest and put down in history.

Victor Moreland: Well said! Put to rest, buddy, brilliant.

Smoke & Mirrors repped this.
  3. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #103 USRufnex, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    If Tulsa's NPSL club had chosen to call themselves the Roughnecks, our fans would have treated the team like a joke.
    Some of our hardcore fans have given me some passionate reasons why they either don't want the Roughnecks name revived at all, or that the name should only be used if Tulsa were to get an MLS team.

The teams that went by "Tulsa Roughnecks" in the 1990s included a D-3 team that played from 1997-1999.
    The fans who remember going to those games are among those most adamant about not using the name for another D-3 team. They are the ones who feel the name has been dragged through the mud.

You know I'm not making this up, right?

Oh, and fyi... the NASL allowed their trademark to expire in August 2013...
    Word Mark ROUGHNECKS
    Goods and Services
    (ABANDONED) IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Organizing sporting events, namely, soccer matches, competitions, and exhibitions; programming, production, and distribution of radio and television programs of soccer matches, competitions, and exhibitions; production and distribution of films featuring soccer matches, competitions, and exhibitions; production of CDs and DVDs featuring soccer matches, competitions, and exhibitions; programming, production and distribution of television programs, radio programs, and continuing non-downloadable internet programs featuring soccer matches, competitions, and exhibitions via the Internet; providing a web site featuring information about soccer and soccer matches, competitions, and exhibitions; publication of printed matter; soccer fan club services; conducting soccer training camps and clinics; ticket reservation and booking services for soccer matches, competitions, and exhibitions
    Standard Characters Claimed
    Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
    Serial Number 77876772
    Filing Date November 19, 2009
    Current Basis 1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Published for Opposition May 11, 2010
    Owner (APPLICANT) North American Soccer League, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE c/o Miami FC 501 Brickell Key Drive, Suite 405 Miami FLORIDA 33131
    Attorney of Record Sarah M. Robertson
    Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
    Abandonment Date
    August 5, 2013

4. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    1993-2000. There have been big changes in those 15 years. Also, there's not much substantial difference between D-2 and D-3 soccer.

5. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One big difference Ive seen so far is pre-season;
    NASL
    NY Cosmos - Dubai
    Minnesota United - Tatenhill, Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire England
    USL-PRO
    OKC Energy - Norman North High School, Norman, OK
    :D

6. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wait ... I can do this too ...

USL-PRO
    Orlando City - Hosted Preseason tournament with MLS teams and a U23 team from a Brazilian power
    Charleston - Hosted Preseason tournament with MLS teams

NASL
    Ottawa Fury FC - Upcoming preseason schedule includes powers York Lions, Syracuse University, Floridans (?), Florida International
    FC Edmonton - Upcoming preseason schedule includes Trinity Western Spartans, Simon Fraser Clan (?), UFV Cascades, UBC Thunderbirds

Good work tough guy!

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont forget FC Tucson hosting the desert cup. ;) :p

PDL >>> NASL/USLPRO

8. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough guy? Wow! LOL!... Sorry I touched an apparently sensitive nerve for you.

9. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, mine was a joke ... I think they're both jokes (my post as well as yours), pretty easy to pick what teams you want to make a point that really doesn't answer the question.

10. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #110 greenroom, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    Here is the problem with your USL PRO they are affiliated with MLS. And if we really want to be honest, its all about the location of Arizona and Florida where teams don't have to train in the cold.

Not saying that either NASL or USL-PRO is good or bad looking at the preseason friendlies of the NASL teams, I expected better. I know San Antonio has looked at hosing a preseason tournament, but overcoming the USL/MLS connection will be tough to overcome.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus.

We get it already.

12. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That connection with MLS was one The Cosmos NASL chose. Based on the number of loans still going from MLS to NASL I don't think that MLS has "blackballed" the NASL and told their teams not to deal with NASL teams so I think a Texas based tournament would do very well and hope you can get it off the ground! With SKC's deal with Orlando coming to a close and the Oklahoma City affiliation becoming the main affiliate as well as the goals of SKC trying to be a more reagional team (new TV deal puts us in 9 states for non nationally televised days) I think a preseason tourney in Texas with FC Dallas, Houston, SKC, San Antonio, OKC Energy, Tulsa Roughnecks, Colorado Rapids, Colorado Springs Switchbacks ... would have a nice midwestern feel to it with possibly bringing up a few U23 teams from Mexico and I think it would do well.

C. B. and greenroom repped this.
  13. Defensive Mid

Defensive Mid New Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Club:
    --other--

14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #114 USRufnex, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  15. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Commish of NASL says OKC is going to move forward for 2015, and he thinks it will be very successful. I liked it when they asked whether USL-Pro throwing a team in "really quick", "the Energy, or whatever they're called..." will have any impact on OKC in the NASL, he said he didn't "look at a reserve league as being in the same business"as NASL. LOL :)

16. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a huge difference between NASL and USL in talent on the pitch. One is a farm league (sort of) for MLS. We are not even talking about the money involved. Each league is carving its own way with different models and goals.

So why do you "lol" that OKC is not worried about the "developmental" league?

17. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that was in reference to what the NASL Commish said. Whether you like him, or not. Or whether you believe him, or not I find it refreshing to hear "real talk" from someone like him instead of the usual BS you hear:
    "Of course we acknowledge and respect the other leagues. Blah blah blah..."

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is? I think clubs like Orlando, Charleston and Pittsburgh would disagree with you.

Mikey mouse repped this.
  19. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's what is currently at the heart of the matter... We spend too much time debating Division structure. I've seen the term D2 or D3 almost use as an insult here on the boards. I hope that before it's all said and done the "soccer wars" settle down and all the leagues work together. It would be great to see teams like Republic FC, Pittsburgh, the Battery be able to self promote based on their financial ability to D2. Likewise if a team needs to self-relegate to D3 they could do so as well. At the end of the day a partnership between the leagues would be a good thing. At least if there were some measure of flexibility between D2 and D3 you might see teams have a structural method to prepare for entry into MLS.

20. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #120 USRufnex, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    Tulsa Athletics press conference is set for 4pm this Friday, April 4th at Fassler Hall... http://www.fasslerhall.com/ ... several items on the agenda... stadium shaping up for 2014 NPSL season... and beyond.... more to this story than just a fresh coat of paint..... oh..... and there's gonna be FREE BEER!!!!!!! http://www.dabrewery.com/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Great crowd at OK energy , over 4 thousand !

22. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Think your in the wrong forum. This is under NASL EXPANSION not USL Attendance.

ManuSooner repped this.
  23. jayme2010

jayme2010 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Some say Usl pro is more like a feeder system like triple aa baseball while Nasl is more of a main league not sure if i agree with that but some do say that.

ManuSooner repped this.
  24. jatrain

jatrain Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Didn't the NASL have a player traded for a hotel bill this off season? Nothing says "Main League" or Major League like that.

25. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't USL have 4 teams averaging less than 1000 per game? Nothing says "Pipeline to MLS" like that :)