Battle of Tulsa

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by USRufnex, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #51 USRufnex, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Tulsa Roughnecks (1993–2000)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_Roughnecks_(USISL)

Nobody wants a repeat of this: a semi-pro team playing at high school football stadiums in front of hundreds of fans.
    Three of those years (1997-1999) were spent in USL D-3.

Where did I get the idea to call them a "cover band?"
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/...cle_17807318-5ae2-5448-ba62-32a7973ee873.html
    Honestly, if a fan vote turned up "Roughnecks FC" as the winner, I wouldn't be overly offended myself.

And if anyone should have an affection and appreciation for the Roughnecks name from back in the 90s, it should be Sonny Dalesandro.
    But he's in the camp of those who would rather just turn the page...

[​IMG]

soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You know one thing no one has mentioned yet that I can think, of, is that, in their haste to try and run to the head of the line in OKC and Tulsa, we've now got two D3 teams in the same league with ownership commonality. Traffic got killed by many USL apologists at the formation of the NASL for owning multiple teams. It was even the main issue with them temporarily getting their sanctioning pulled two years ago. Are those same people, including the USSF, going to scrutinize Funk in the same manner?

penske repped this.
  3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can only hope

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did you hear the joke about the new Tulsa USL Pro team saying they were in talks with the Athletics? What does that mean?

5. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You got me. I'd ask Rufnex about Tulsa if I were you. All I know is, unless the Athletics get some new financial backing, they'll be hard-pressed to compete with two higher level pro teams for fans in the long run. My opinion would be that they try to partner up with the group looking at Tulsa for the NASL. Since the Athletics are already established, if the NASL interested folks joined them and elevated them to the NASL with solid financial backing, I'd think they'd have a very good chance at "winning out" in the market. But I have no idea if that could happen.

eclipse02 and Brother Badgerjohn repped this.
  6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    One tweet does not mean they've been "in talks."

7. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Merry Christmas! and Happy Throwback Thursday!

soccersubjectively repped this.
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the NASL forum. If you want to discuss the NPSL go to the that forum.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep it up, you won't be posting anywhere on here.

Stay on topic.

Bluesfan repped this.
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well to be honest in at least Sacramento's case NASL wasn't going to go anywhere. Not putting the team out in the middle of nowhere like they planned to. The USL group has a far better vision. And OKC will probably be just fine with USL once the NASL team folds their efforts.

Tampa and Phoenix on the other hand have been unmitigated disasters.

11. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, USL keeps getting into these markets because of lower overhead cost, what appear to be lower operating standards, and they are fueled by much butt hurt. Sadly, the USL overlords look like they will happily give a team to anyone with cash anywhere right now, knowing that with the MLS link they won't be allowed to fail now. It's really sad, it's going to lead to a fair bunch of failed markets, and lots of burned bridges that will set the game back years in some areas. It's time for the USL to grow up and get over the TOA split.

If USL wants to be the MLS little brother, awesome, but stopping sabotaging slower moving NASL groups in bigger cities with straw men ownership. Stick to smaller cities like the Dayton's and Rochester's of the world, and leave the bigger ones alone. I swear we'll look back on this garbage in 10 years with nothing but sadness over the damage they'll cause

12. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    You lost me at "USL overlords."
    Not that I particularly like them.

Hmmm. Wonder what Warren Ross is doing today?

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ( a ) The "let me feel your pulse and see your check and you're in" thing has been the perception since even when I was working in the league(s) back in the late 90s. I think it's slightly less real than it once was, though I can't discount entirely the notion that they need to better vet their owners.
    ( b ) If teams "aren't allowed to fail," you will have to explain to me how Tampa Bay and Antigua did just that, and Phoenix nearly did (and still might).

14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #64 USRufnex, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    The USL Pro announcement in Tulsa reminded me more of USL A-league situations in Rochester and Syracuse than the unstable late 90s-era D-3 league that included the Tulsa Roughnecks and Indianapolis Blast... ironic that the Tulsa World editorial supporting soccer failed to reference the D-3 Roughnecks but did mention the one-year-and-done indoor NPSL Tulsa Ambush (the print version of article below mistakenly stated that the Ambush were a MISL team).

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/e...cle_c7754fb6-dc38-5cb7-9b70-1b2176b03827.html
    No Tulsa soccer fans want the 90s version of D-3 to be back in town...
    [​IMG]
    Nobody wants a team playing at the home of the old USISL and D-3 era Roughnecks... Metro Christian Stadium...

And nobody wants the bad old USISL sizzlin six or whatever to come back, even if there's a rivalry with OKC...
    http://newsok.com/tulsa-continues-mastery-of-slickers-3-2/article/2435813

...complete with road games at Taft Stadium...
    http://newsok.com/slickers-take-on-tulsa-roughnecks/article/2471800

So, we're skeptical.
    And with good reason.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indiana Blast.

16. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #66 USRufnex, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Yep... nothing quite like reliving memories of being part of the coveted 18-34 demographic. :cool:

Ironic that I spent the spring of 1997 in Indy, wanted to go to a game or two, but was persuaded against it when I couldn't find anyone willing to go with me and was told that Kuntz Stadium wasn't in a very good part of town... however, I did go to Victory Field and the Indy 500 time trials that spring to watch sports I had very little interest in. Spent the summer of 1997 in Boston going to Harvard Square to root for the New England Revolution and their leading scorer, former Roughnecks balboy Joe-Max Moore...

Any fan of IRONY should enjoy the current Tulsa story.

Went Hubbard, father of the current majority owners of USL Pro Tulsa passed away in the fall of 2012...
    http://ballparkdigest.com/201209095522/minor-league-baseball/news/in-memoriam-went-hubbard
    The elder Hubbard, to my knowledge, had no interest in helping any efforts to secure pro soccer in Tulsa... in fact, based on his actions, if anything, the opposite seemed to be true...http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_c34f2d7d-b7d6-52fd-bad4-bc0bd2699651.html
    Noel Lemon, former GM of the old NASL's Tulsa Roughnecks, who'd contacted the new NASL about placing a team in Tulsa as late as spring 2012, passed away in November of 2012... http://www.socceramerica.com/article/49333/obituary-noel-lemon-1944-2012.html
    So, it was ironic that the new OneOk Field was NOT designed with soccer in mind, yet will somehow lead to an obligatory MLS bid.
    http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/professional-soccer-coming-tulsa
    Meanwhile ... "the Tulsa Athletics open tryouts will take place March 1st and 2nd at the Union Soccer Complex"....
    "Each trialist will receive a tryout shirt and must bring appropriate soccer gear, water, and, if selected, must be prepared to travel with the team to San Antonio on March 15th and 16th for preseason matches against Corinthians FC SA and the San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL"

https://www.tulsaathletics.com/tryout-registration/

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TerminusFooty and mikehurst21 repped this.
  19. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why would a team in the MLS farm league want to resurrect a name from the original NASL? Only one reason....more bitter bs from Holt and his cronies. Just pathetic. And I don't want to hear any bs about a "fan contest" choosing it. They bought the rights to the name before they even announced the team. Obviously they intended it to "win" all along.

ManuSooner and Prosoccercdn repped this.
  20. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, I doubt it. The name has history and tradition behind it. I don't blame them for choosing it.

21. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't get mad.
    Get even.

Smoke & Mirrors repped this.
  22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Less than half the voters chose "Roughnecks," despite the fact that the name has infinitely more recognition for all soccer fans who voted than the other three combined.

My experience last summer with Athletics' fans educated me about how much honest and passionate resistance there is to using that name again, especially for a minor league D-3 team.

The overwhelming majority of the Tulsa Ultras have been opposed to the general idea of using the name, especially at the USL Pro level...

23. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious as to what the level has to do with it. I understand the original Tulsa Roughnecks were in the NASL and all, but who cares what level it's in or what league it's used in. Teams have used the same name in different levels all over the country, just wanted educated on what makes the Roughneck name "to good" for D3.

24. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet it was still the name with the most votes.

25. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #75 USRufnex, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    We don't know how many facebook friends of Energy FC voted for Roughnecks.
    Frankly, it's a real DICK MOVE that's being spearheaded by the minority owners of Tulsa USL Pro....... OKC Energy and Prodigal... to thwart the ongoing NASL bid here in Tulsa....

Word Mark TULSA ROUGHNECKS FC
    Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, organizing, providing and conducting professional soccer exhibitions and games
    Standard Characters Claimed
    Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
    Serial Number 86069516
    Filing Date September 19, 2013
    Current Basis
    1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Published for Opposition March 4, 2014
    Owner (APPLICANT) Prodigal Soccer LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY OKLAHOMA 615 N. Hudson, Suite 100 Oklahoma City OKLAHOMA 73102
    Attorney of Record Harvey L. Yusman