Battle of Tulsa

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by USRufnex, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #1 USRufnex, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Guess I'll be having lunch on Elgin Ave. today.....

New sports venture to be announced Wednesday
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_b820e238-67c9-11e3-bd60-0019bb30f31a.html

The Tulsa Drillers have called a news conference for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday to announce a new sports venture for the city of Tulsa. Several local dignitaries are scheduled to speak. The press conference will be conducted in the Conference Center at ONEOK Field, 201 N. Elgin Ave.

2. Alamo City Ultra

May 15, 2012
    san antonio, tx
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious as to how you feel about this as a supporter of the NPSL squad.

3. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Depends on whether they announce for 2014 or 2015.

My guess is that a USL club will be announced for 2015 to play at OneOk Park.
    Doing it this early is a message to anyone trying to join the Lund's millionaire's club to buy an NASL team for Tulsa... somebody in OKC will need to hire extra housekeeping to clean up all those urine stains on the carpet in SOS offices today.

A USL Pro club announced as "Tulsa Roughnecks FC" would not be a very popular idea among our hardcore fans who think the name has been dragged through the mud in the past.

However, if the announcement is combined with a partnership with Sporting KC, things start getting interesting...

4. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 'interesting' is the wrong word there.

And serious question... what does this have to do with NASL?

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's another example of USL/NASL buffoonery.

Getting pretty sick of myself.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    There's a group trying to get the NASL in Tulsa led by Jeff Lund and directed by Brad Lund.
    I had a thirty minute meeting with Jeff a couple of weeks ago.

Jeff & Brad want to use the Roughnecks name.
    Aaron Davidson wants any Tulsa group to use the Roughnecks name.

So... this announcement will throw a wrench in things.

Trying to decide whether to go to ONEOK Park this afternoon in my Roughnecks shirt and start booing.

***I think about 2/3's of our hardcore fans do NOT want the Roughnecks brought back at the D-3 level.
    I also think about 2/3's of our hardcore fans would be okay with the Roughnecks being brought back at the D-2 level (however, that 1/3 who don't want it are pretty vocal)***

msilverstein47 repped this.
  7. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do we know for sure who has the rights to the Roughnecks name at this point? I'm with Prime. This USL vs. NASL crap is getting way too far out of hand, and in some places could seriously damage the game at the lower levels. OKC and Tulsa shouldn't be league battlegrounds. The only real losers in those situations will be the fans.

Sandon Mibut and brentgoulet repped this.
  8. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Last thing that was seen on the Tulsa Roughnecks name indicated it might now be in the hands of the marketing group that owns the new OKC USL team.

Which, if true, could very well mean the Roughnecks name appears at this press conference today.

And I am in full agreement on the NASL vs. USL stuff.

9. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  11. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Oh, this whole thing is really going to be a clusterf--- if Prodigal runs this outfit too.

12. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    gosh stop using this line! ownership is not realistic in Tulsa or OK City or anywhere that claims MLS is the goal. tired of them saying that is the goal.

athletics68 and brentgoulet repped this.
  13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Talk is cheap

Millionaire League Soccer ... not so ;)

14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #14 USRufnex, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Why not?
    Who, exactly, does this (saying MLS is your ultimate goal) hurt?

From the Tulsa Athletics FB page... https://www.facebook.com/ttownsoccer‎

Athletics nation- There will be an announcement today that in 2015 a group calling themselves the "Tulsa Roughnecks" will enter the picture in our town as a USL Pro team. I would like to make it clear where the Athletics stand on the matter. Firstly, the Roughnecks name is something that is very special to me personally. As a child I was one of many who was profoundly affected by the team coming to our city. Their presence here is the sole reason that I played soccer as a child, professionally, and is essentially the impetus to the forming of the Tulsa Athletics. Victor Moreland is like a father to me. I played for Steve Earle in my youth. I count Billy Caskey and Charlie Mitchell as friends. And like many, I've shared a cold beer with "the boomer" Alan Woodward. The Roughnecks name is sacred to me and to this city.

That being said...The Tulsa Athletics want to bring an MLS franchise to Tulsa. We've been clear about that from the beginning. We are your team. Your support affirms that the love for the game still runs strong through the veins of Tulsa and is the sole reason why we work as hard as we do for this club. Today's announcement as interesting as it may seem, does not actually affect the way we'll approach anything. We're still going continue to improve our stadium, grow our fan base, and put a fantastic product on the field. I am a Tulsan. A proud one at that. If a group from Oklahoma City thinks that Athletics Nation is going to lay down and quit, then they have read myself and Tulsans all wrong. We made a commitment to you to bring top level soccer to Tulsa, and we will carrying on doing that. Like a former Roughneck just told me on the telephone, "Just because they're called the Roughnecks, doesn't make them the Roughnecks".

Yours in soccer,
    Sonny Dalesandro

Chairman
    Tulsa Athletics

15. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Doesn't necessarily hurt anyone except for maybe themselves. I feel like any ownership will smack MLS bound on their new team in the hopes of getting more fans. When they fail to reach that point there the fans go. All speculation though

16. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is flat out pathetic. We have a successful NPSL club in this city and have an NASL club clearly engaged in putting a team here and yet again we get the idiots from USL jumping in. So lets count, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Antonio, Tampa, OKC, Hamilton and now Tulsa, have I missed any? That doesn't count the fiasco around Rochester. Not a bad four year track record.

Sporting Real and Smoke & Mirrors repped this.
  17. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Not unlike Indy getting an MLS team. :D

BTW.... for those of you who haven't been paying attention.... from Oct 2nd...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_7e301e19-ba72-59d7-9bf9-54a73706b386.html

18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    These idiots as you call them obtained the trademark

http://www.trademarkia.com/tulsa-roughnecks-fc-86069516.html

19. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Unfortunately :(

The great Tulsa Roughnecks will make a comeback as a D3 Cover Band

USRufnex repped this.
  21. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're still idiots, as has been posted the Tulsa fans don't want the name dragged through the mud so they won't get the Athletics fans onboard

22. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not a lot of people know about it, but they were also quietly engaged in trying to put a team in South Florida a few years back. But the success of the Strikers rebrand apparently caused someone with some level of functioning brain activity to pull the plug on it. They even had Ian Bishop lined up to coach the team.

23. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  24. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC