Barra Brava Mini Golf Event August 13th

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by Red&Black, Jul 23, 2008.

1. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh - I will have to work on this. :D

2. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    ill see you all there. should be there about 4 to hit some balls if anyone wants to join

3. Thystle Missile

Thystle Missile New Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Springfield
    I'm going to try and stop by after work to watch as long as I get out of here before 7:00.

4. Blancanieva

Blancanieva New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Alexandria
    must have been a good night since no posts yet :D

5. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was totally AWESOME!!!

Most of the starters weren't there which is understandable given the NY trip and the Tuesday game. But a bunch of the reserves came along with new guys Crayon (the new keeper) and Ivan. Other DCU types that were there were: Tino, Dominick Mediate, "Q"uavas Kirk (#5!!!! ;)), Dan Stratford, Thugbone Burch, Pat Carroll, Craig "Golddigger" Thompson, Namoff, Dane Murphy, James Thorpe, and probably a couple of other guys that I am forgetting. (McTavish? Did I see him?)

Hanging out was great. The tournament was handled in true Barra style with people starting at random spots all over the course. I don't think anyone bothered to seriously keep score. I played with Dan and his friend from college. They were really good sports about it and had fun.

Many jerseys were exchanged and invitations to join the tailgate were extended. Hopefully we'll be seeing some of the guys in Lot 8 or even in the stands. Oh I won a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com in the raffle. Woot!!

When I left around 11pm, Craig, Q, and Thorpe were hitting balls with Pauly, Jamie, and Shannon so in true Barra style, we closed down the golf club.

Major props to Big Rob and Blondie for putting it all together. A great time was had by all.

6. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Huge thanks to our sponsors, DCU and all our great members and friends who came out last night. I personally want to thank Blondie who really did all the behind the scenes work to make last night such a great success. I'll post totals on the fundraising tonight or tomorrow.

7. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    good times all around.
    After the raffle and all me, jose and some other finns crew went to go hit some buckets. Dom, Q, craig and thorpe joined for a couple of hours.....all I have t say hilarious. Thorpe hitting a ball was beyond hilarious.
    and Dom can freaking smash a ball....190 yards + with a 9 iron. that dude can play.
    great great time!

8. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    Well that just entirely untrue, but I appreciate it anyways - thanks.

Also, I doubt you'll find many Barra interested in thanking me this morning. Except for maybe the Grump. He might be the only one ok with me today - and JJ, but i'm not sure if he's officially Barra.

Again, my apologies to the rest of you - but let this be a lesson - if you want to win cool stuff ... be sure to BRIBE me before hand, with more than just $1s.

:p

9. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    there were some damn cool prizes. i was soooooo tempted to say WTOP gave us just one HD radio...:p

10. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    Well yeah, but the Grump won one of those as well. That and the Emilio jersey... bastard. ;)

11. Yuengling_DCU

Yuengling_DCU New Member

May 4, 2008
    Centreville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    winning the same shirt I was wearing was quite amusing. :D

12. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm minorly miffed that I didn't win Olsen's Notts Forest jersey but I'll drown my sorrows on Amazon.com. :D

A idea for next year, if we get another high end prize like that, we might want to have a separate raffle just for that and then a generic raffle for everything else. It encourages people to buy more tickets too.

13. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    Woman, that would require WAY WAY too much coordination and planning. Are you not wise to the ways of the Barra yet?

14. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's like.....complicated.

We saw how the standard raffle (and associated bribe solicitation ;) ) went, despite the best efforts of Blondie. You want to add a second layer? Besides, Oscar would just win that, too. :D

Seriously, great event last night, a great job by all involved that helped to make it so.

15. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can coordinate tifo with a 1000 pieces of paper and a huge banner but we can't have 2 buckets of raffle tickets? Where's the magic of the Barra?

Tisk tisk. :p

(Srsly tho', awesome raffle!!)

16. lemonstarbursts

Dec 7, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Huge thanks to Rob & Blondie! Last night was a lot of fun!

17. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    just a minor point, but its considered bad form to call nottingham forest "notts", that is reserved for notts county also in nottingham (in fact the two closest league grounds in england)

18. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    i am awful at mini golf

weird

19. The Grump

The Grump New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Evil Empire
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge thanks to Blondie for pulling one of my numbers when the Emilio jersey came up.
    Woot! :D

20. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    I thought Blondie did a terrible job... The 12th hole fiasco is/was inexcusable!

21. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooh, busted. I knew that. Really I did. I should have said Nott'm Forest. :eek:

So when are we going to road trip out there? ;)

22. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    [​IMG]

23. tileman

tileman New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Dumfries, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xcellent time last night, thanks to Blondie:) and (Rob?:rolleyes:). My group had Jeff Carroll in it, actually we combined two groups and he played for both. I think he'll view the Barra in a new way, not just crazy but nuts as well. Look forward to the next one. Vamos United!!

24. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded.

That was a great time last night. Good to see many great folks and meet some of the players. Stratford was in our group and was pretty cool. Kirk was hilarious to talk to.

25. katiebo

katiebo New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Falls Church, VA
    That was totally me and my husband. :) It's good to finally meet people since we have season tickets in 107. We joined the Barra after we already bought our season tickets but to be honest, Josh just had cardiothoracic surgery so I didn't think it was safe for him to be around you jumping fiends.