Barcelona v. Arsenal (UEFA Champions' League, 1st knock-out round, 2nd leg) 3/8/11. Match Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Jamooky, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    exactly. so why were we doing it? stupid....

2. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    You don't intentionally swipe a guy in the face, get yourself a Yellow and open yourself up for a second yellow to get a RED. Its on Van.

Arsenal were dominated fair and square. That is it.

3. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We never made any connection through the MF. Even when we tried to pass it out, the ball was quickly turned over. When you're frustrated, and Barca keeps closing down like ants, you pass backwards. I don't have a big problem with it.

4. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I thought our back four played well until the last 10 minutes when everyone was exhausted. That was good to see.

5. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did everyone think of the penalty? He clearly lunged. At first glance, I thought it was soft, but after watching it, I would have been pissed had it not been given to us. I wasn't reading here then. Was there any disagreement? I haven't watched the replay since.

6. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh yeah, big ups to Manny. Playing behind the backlines he has had to play behind while here, the dude has learned how to be a great shot-stopper and handle shot-or-pass situations...if he could only avoid those big mistakes on silly opportunities.

7. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He clearly tripped the player, but i think the ball was already going out of play. Tough call.

8. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i had no problem with the penalty.

9. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Agreed- on first view, it looked like Kos got the ball, but he didn't.

10. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The ref could have given a pen in the first half against Diaby, dont know how he missed it

11. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    in the first half when nasri was clearly fouled, the referee was pretty sure that if a ball had run beyond a players control, the rules where that the foul should not be called. strange that later in the game when it was a potential infraction for an arsenal player, he should switch his interpretations of the rules. either one interpration would be fair, but not both during the same match applied to suit one side over the other.

12. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Drogba's ban was CL only, I imagine he will get at least a few games suspension, which will take effect in the group stages next year.

Nothing more predictable than Barca getting a shady call (or 5) when facing elimination.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked like Messi was pulling his leg away and going over before Diaby even got there. Good no call in my book. Plus it was right on the edge of the box.

14. SteppaSound

SteppaSound New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    via Twitter:

@cesc4official Cesc Fàbregas Soler
    Great support from the arsenal fans. I take full blame for the result tonight. One of the worst moments of my life. I apologise.

15. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    wilshere tweeted:

Arsenal fans great as always! Sorry about the result,good luck to Barca,great team! Oh yeah and the ref was good aswell...

16. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The penalty was a good call. There was really no argument from Arsenal about it.

17. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Well, he can laugh about it next year when he pulls on the red and blue.

18. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Meh...in my perfect world, penalties aren't given for offensive players initiating contact they could avoid. I can accept embellishment of contact, but running into a planted or motionless leg is a bit weak. Alas, we do not live in my perfect world. In the world we live in, that was a PK.

19. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO that might have been a free kick just outside the box. Not sure that Messi hadn't already started down though.

20. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The abidal thing was a yellow at worst, i think the ref handled that situation correctly by giving no cards. Van Persie's first yellow was an obvious yellow, Van Persie knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Look at it again, Van Persie looked for Alves then shoved him in the throat/face area. It was premeditated and it came right after all that mess with both teams going at it, the ref had absolutely no choice of a yellow for Van Persie and it was warranted.

The 2nd yellow for Van Persie was a joke of the highest order, that much is clear. You would have to find a huge barca fan to claim otherwise. However, the penalty awarded to Barca should have resulted in a 2nd yellow for Koscielny anyway, which would have taken Arsenal down to 10 men not too long after van persie was sent off. The only question is, would that penalty situation have happened with Van Persie on the pitch? It is questionable.

Either way, Barca did dominate thoroughly today. I wouldn't have been suprised with a 10-0 scoreline. But, there is no question that IF the Van Persie situation wouldn't have happened, then it changes everything, and despite the domination, Arsenal may have had a better chance than 50/50 of going through.

21. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    messi was going to get to that ball???? he basically passed it to wilshere.

22. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    there is no yellow for violent conduct. it's a straight red and nothing else.

23. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel bad for him, really. He's not the type of player to do that shit. You could so quickly see what he was trying to do, and it just disappeared as quickly. Any other player, and I'd be a lot harder on him. It was just a stupid decision that unfortunately cost us the result, along with other things. His vision is just normally so perfect...

24. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think to say that we were dominated is one way to look at it, but no one seems to be seeing the tactical approach that Inter used against Barca last year. It's one thing to have a fully fit Cesc, fully fit RVP, and Theo and attack like in the first leg. But not to have Song and those other guys I mentioned, a team has to change their approach to the match.

Let Barca have the ball but don't get pulled out of shape. We did that pretty well aside from Cesc's major howler at the end of the first half. But then the game is just different after the RVP red card.

25. SteppaSound

SteppaSound New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We all need a laugh after that debacle. Check out the kid behind Puyol.

Caption this image
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.