Barcelona v. Arsenal (UEFA Champions' League, 1st knock-out round, 2nd leg) 3/8/11. Match Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Jamooky, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Barcelona - Arsenal
    UEFA Champions' League
    Camp Nou
    3/8/11
    20:45 kickoff (local time)
    TV (U.S.) : FSC

[​IMG]

As frustrated as we all are, at the moment, our boys are gonna need all of our support for this one. Despite winning the 1st leg at home, Barca are probably still favorites to move on. We need Herculean efforts from everyone - nothing less.

I'm tired of attempting to interpret Arsenal's injury status reports. Needless to say, we won't be at "full strength" for this one. But, when are we ever? No excuses, though. I'm counting on Wenger to implement the proper tactics and the boys to apply those tactics to perfection. Oh - and we'll probably need a good deal of luck, too. Lord knows we're owed it!

1-1 draw with Sneezy standing on his head for most of the match. #whythefucknot?​

2. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if we can score two goals it will be enough to send us through.

3. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kill!!!

Give no quarter!

4. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Let's forget about sunderland. Our boys sure will let's move on and remember that we can beat this team with the team we are taking. We are in a minor slump and the boys will be gunning for this (pun not intended). Let's believe! Cmon you gunners!

5. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after today's result I'm even more nervous than before. Closing the gab between us and United to just one could have been a massive confidence boost coming into this game.

6. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please, Arsenal. Please.

7. VAGunner74

VAGunner74 Member

Feb 27, 2010
    South Riding, VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We're going to be in the away kit most likely?

8. Fitzgerald#11

Fitzgerald#11 Member

May 23, 2007
    Calgary
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/ch...potential-doubt-for-arsenals-champions-league

9. luvgunners

luvgunners Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Cornelius, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We can do this!
    1-1 or
    2-2
    I'll take that and run......

UP THE ARSE!

10. sienna

sienna Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No Van Persie and Walcott. Cesc and Song might make it while Wilshere is a doubt. It's going to be an uphill battle. I'd like to believe that we can do it but I think we're going to bow out.

11. railhawksfan

railhawksfan Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Once again, we go to Barcelona seriously depleted. Arsene says defense will be key. Let's see if we can pull an Inter and keep a clean sheet. They rarely go airball and both Djorou and Kos are quick as are Sagna and Clichy. It is the MF that worries me. Let's hope Bendy plays the game of his life.

12. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our midfield is going to be our key to the match. If we can't work through their high pressure the way we were able to at the Emirates then the task gets even harder. We know we wont win the possession battle, but we must be able to hold the ball for periods of the match.

The last half hour is where we can win this tie.

13. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Without RvP or Walcott im not optimistic about our ability to score a goal. Shuting Barca out in the Nou aint easy either. Hard to see a way through. We need our midfield to play out of their mind and hope for Nasri to steal a goal and with it a miraculous 1-1 tie to send us through.

I assume its the same lineup as today with Song and Cesc:

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Bendtner, Arashavin, Nasri, Cesc, Song, Jack, Clichy, Djourou, Kosciely, Song, Szczesny[/LINEUP-4-5-1]

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep I agree with all who said midfield is the key. And alas, mainly from a defensive point of view.

Hard to imagine without all or some of Cesc/Song/Jack that we could control MF. Don't really see Diaby up to the task. Definitely not Denilson. And Ramsey hasn't even played any mins yet.

This has become an even bigger ask than it was at the end of leg 1. "Do you believe in miracles?!"

Maybe... if we get some Italian football strategy into our genes real quick. ;)

15. shblando

shblando Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I know its not really Arsenal's style, but I would hope if Barca are completely dominating game/chances in the first 15 that Wenger would be wise enough to have a backup formation with more of a defensive/counter-attacking bent in mind.

For instance if things are looking bad, but they haven't scored, I would like to see Bendtner come off and bring on another DM or an Eboue to try to frustrate their midfield and break up play.

Either way, if we are going to be without any or all of Wilshere, Song, RVP, Walcott, and Cesc it will be up to Arshavin and Nasri to come up with at least one moment of brilliance.

Go Gunners!

16. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    chamakh or bendtner?.......bendtner or chamakh? it's a dilemma

17. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can we at least attempt to get behind the ball when we don't have it (which will be fairly often in this game)?

If you see Xavi on the ball 2 yards away, don't stand behind him and watch Song+Jackelele try to defend against 4-5 Barca players.

18. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @jack_wilshere
    Afternoon everyone..just to let you know i am not injured and if selected will be fit to face Barca! Few kicks but nothing too bad!

19. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What a legend.

20. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    JFW would have played Barca with a broken leg and still been best on, Bendy with a brace to send us through!

21. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I only hope to be half the man he is.

22. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. generals soccer

Feb 7, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  25. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Chamakh because he'll close down the defence for 90 minutes and B52 thinks he''s TH14 and can drop in and out of games.

We need 11 players to work, and to be honest I don't trust B52 to do it for 40 minutes let alone 90.