Barcelona signs Ben Lederman to academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by schrutebuck, Jun 2, 2011.

1. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wish they had asked about speed, I bet that is on there list of important qualities.

2. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The quoted article mentions mental speed. It's pretty easy to appear faster than everyone else if you think faster than them on the pitch.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When you're grabbing kids before they go into puberty, it's silly to judge them on the majority of their "physical traits" like strength and height. They haven't developed them yet. It all makes sense to me.............

I'm sure there is some sort of minimum level of athletic ability they're looking for, though.
    I mean, if a kid is a 250 pound 11 year old that can barely run up and down the field.............it probably won't matter if he has "good mental speed."

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    A large degree of mental speed in soccer is quick, efficient body management as a kid is solving problems with his body and constantly shifting weight from one foot to another. A kid with the description above is going to have so much trouble managing his body that it wouldn't be possible for him to be mentally quick during a match.

When Barcelona look at athleticism, they don't say things like, "Man, that kid's got wheels!" Athleticism only helps you with them as much as it is helping you to solve problems quickly.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Funny you wrote this because I was going to post something on soccer athleticism.
    Its much different type of soccer athleticism needed compared to other sports. When people say that Silva, or Iniesta, or Xavi aren't athletic I scoff. Then the narrative falsely becomes we need ball skills with small unathletic players. Its a conclusion we proceed at our own peril. Yes straight ahead speed is important for many soccer related success but I look at other physical skills that should not be considered unathletic. Ease of running style, smooth transition of movement from one soccer related skill to another, quick economical feet movement to shift the ball in a multitude of pressure situations, being able to dribble the ball to one side while having a defender leaning on you, balanced movement to quickly receive the ball, then correctly gliding the ball into space to open passing lanes. All very athletic but just not traditionally. I was watching DC last night and watched Perry Kitchen who I really want to like - struggle with many soccer movements. Adding steps into movements to regain balance, very stiff in his soccer related movement and transition, unsmooth receiving and passing. All making his success rate and ability to stress a defense not very good. We need to redefine what we consider athletic soccer players to include those who make the subtle, smooth, and quick movement that leads to successful possession.

Tom Collingsworth and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  6. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    exactly. for example we have a kid at barca who is the smallest on the Cadete B side but both his parents are over 6 ft tall. so no barca are telling the truth that size and athleticism is a non-factor especially for pre-pubescent prospects.

barcelona would not go after a theo walcott

1 person likes this.
  7. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Ladies everything you need to know about physical ability and mental ability can easily be summed up in 2 words Larry Freaking Bird. Dude was playing chess while others were playing go fish and the same could be said of Magic Johnson

8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Because we all know Larry Bird was an unathletic great Basketball player concludes that is all we need to know to judge a developing soccer players athleticism. Huh?

9. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Yes, I believe the fluidity of movement once receiving the ball is something that is lacking in the US. You see guys like Xavi and Iniesta using the least amount of steps to get from point A to point B, everything they do is calculated down to least amount of steps required to do so. They can receive, turn and be off in 2 steps where it takes most other players 4 or 5. Its something that has taken me awhile to notice, but now that i do i marvel at it. Its almost like watching ballet, their balance and technique is something 99% of athletes have no hope of every accomplishing. It is truly the definition of athletic.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Very good post. Another thing that drives me up a wall when Taylor Twellman while calling a pro game keeps saying 'pass the way your facing'. No! That just tells kids when they get a little pressure kick the ball forward when there rarely is another player right in front of you. They should be doing what your post says quickly using effecient footwork to pull the ball back under their body to face the other direction or a myriad of other ball skills to face differently or pass to someone who isn't directly in front of you.

11. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Yes... it's not how fast you can run or jump...it' how fast your brain allows you to process the game. The NFL has begun to test it with QB's via simulated 'mental performance tests."

Really SUDano I'm supirsed your not all over this. For example we all know GAM is a great athlete but lacks the mental aspect required to take his game to the next level

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I attempted and failed at a subtle point. I'm not a big fan of using other sports as analogies for soccer. My point isn't that Larry Bird is unathletic and was a great player its that seemingly unathletic soccer players are actually quite athletic in ways different from traditional American sporting movements involved in Basketball and Football. Their bodies allow their brains to make quick, smooth transitioning movements that to me is very athletic but in a soccer way and not in a fixed linear strength speed dynamic we're used to.

13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Pro Prospects: American at FC Barcelona

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/pro-prospects:-american-at-fc-barcelona_aid24206

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange as it may sound, Ben is only a year and a half away from the age when we start picking youth National Teams. Now one may, and many here have, question the utility of organizing a U-14 National Team, but regardless we do.

That said, whatever benefit there might be to organizing such a team doesn't benefit Ben as long as he's at Barca.

16. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    We have already seen this with Hyndman and a few others to some degree. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone

17. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any more news on Ben Lederman or has this thread been terminally hijacked?

18. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FC BARCELONA 6 - Sant Cugat 0
    ben scored 2

his team are second in the Primera División Alevín

19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    We can't discuss any topics that organically arrive out of the many issues raised related to Ben Lederman and his experiences at Barcelona? 'Just the facts mam'.
    They generally don't last that long and how much hard information is there on an 11 yr old. I don't think the we can see too many live games of Ben's to make any truly interesting discussions about. I had a brother in law once who continually asked when HE thought the topic strayed 'What are we talking about here? Can we get back on point? Most boring conversationalist ever.
    I guess I officially strayed off topic. Sorry Dad.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Where can you find the results and scorers from this league?

21. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    On YouTube this recent game of Barcelona's Alevín A team playing against Sant Gabriel has just been uploaded. It is actually the final 3 quarters; games in this league at this level are 60 minutes and divided into quarters. Lederman is wearing number 10.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnCEEVv8vhM"]FC Barcelona Academy Alevin A (U12) Q2 3/24/2012 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiRJGNISkSs"]FC Barcelona Academy Alevin A (U12) Q3 3/24/2012 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFitFtRX39U"]FC Barcelona Academy Alevin A (U12) Q4 3/24/2012 - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  23. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he scored in the last quarter in a 4-0 win. they are now just a point behind the leaders

Namdynamo and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Barcelona's Alevín A team ended their season last weekend, finishing 2nd in the standings behind arch rivals Espanyol.

25. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    From 25 to 27 May , the FC Barcelona Youngsters A participates in the National Tournament XIX BBVA Blue Football 7 is played in the town of Benalmadena , Malaga . This Thursday evening, Barça has come to the resortHoliday World , where he presented the tournament has been organized by the Foundation The Stringer . The parties, however, will take place at the municipal sports center Arroyo de la Miel . FC Barcelona has won this tournament six times and is the club that has done it more times. The last year's tournament was won by theEspanyol , although the club has won the last three editions in a row. debut against Sporting The Youngsters A FC Barcelona is in Group C , together with the Getafe, Granada, Sporting and Villarreal . On Friday May 25, Barça play two games: one in the morning against Sporting (13.00 Energy) and one in the evening against Villarreal(1845 hours, four). The next day, Saturday 26, the pre Alevín closes with two games: against Getafe (11.05 hours, four) and Granada (12.45 hours, four). If Alevín to be achieved first or second in group play the same Saturday afternoon's quarterfinals. The semifinals, however, will be on Sunday May 27 morning. That same day, but in the afternoon, will be held the third and fourth place, and at 20.30 (Four and Mitele), will be the turn of the championship and award the winning team.