Barcelona SC- Part II (2008/2010)

Discussion in 'Ecuador - Clubs' started by ecuajhony, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Erazo is one of the best CB we have, if not the best. Starting CB in our NT. Great player and leader.

Seems like Gruezo might be leaving Barcelona soon too: http://www.futbolecuador.com/moviles/read/41336/1

I am betting they keep him. One of the best young players from Ecuador. It be nuts if they don't. Germany is a fantastic place for him to get even better.

2. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    At first I heard it was only a two week trial at Stuttgart, but I heard it's a done deal. I don't know if it's for 6 months or what BSC agreed upon but I know he's gone until June at least. He won't be back IMO. That kid is the future in the center mid role just like Gabriel Corozo is in the left back/right back position. I think BSC will get a little over $2 million dollars from the transfer if I'm not mistaken. Good luck to Corozo!!

I was talking with my dad about this the other day but the last U-20 team we had that didn't qualify to the U-20 WC is IMO the next generacion de oro we have....strong words, but there's a handful of really talented youth. Leonel Ramirez, Miguel Parrales, JF. Cevallos, Carlos Gruezo.....and Gabriel Corozo along with Kevin Mercado who are also part of this age group although they weren't on the last U-20 NT to knowledge. These are the same kids that made it to the U-17 WC years back and made it into the round of 16 and got eliminated by Brazil but couldn't make it to this last U-20 WC under Julio Cesar Rosero....I always said that team was in the wrong hands. Assuming these kids make it big and nothing goes wrong, they're going to make an amazing NT in just a few years to come. IMO Junior Sornoza, Andres Lopez, Fernando Leon, Pedro Velasco, Johnny Uchuari and a few others aren't at the same level as the guys previously mentioned (they're a notch below IMO) but they could also end up being very important players.

If that kid Jonathan Gonzalez from Independiente continues developing this season he'll have a few european teams knocking on the door in June or December.

3. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    God, I am so upset that Nieto is getting a starting position and not Penilla, and now the Honduran Martinez, I wish BSC really polished Esterilla and Penilla.

4. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Don't worry the Honduran might be gone in 6 months. They'll probably rescind his contract like they always do.

5. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I bet the Honduran is already getting calls from lawyers offering to represent him in suing us a year from now. lol

6. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I was about to ask why Penilla didn't start.

Ely Esterilla had another great game and Cristian Suarez came back sharp. If only we could've had him in the WC in his full form to play up front with Enner. He would've helped out a lot.

7. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm pretty sure Nieto and Martinez won't beat Esterilla or Penilla out of the starting spot. Suarez is on his way back. I'm pretty sure Suarez-Penilla-Esterilla is going to be the attacking trio up front for you guys. Nieto isn't at 100% and has had an irregular season. Great player, but not in full form. The rest of the guys have an advantage over him and even Suarez seems like he'll beat him in the race for the starting spot. I'll be shocked to see Suarez, Penilla, and Esterilla not starting all at the same time. They're all the most effective players you guys have and demonstrate it every time they play.

8. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I wrote the same thing about Suarez in the Campeonato 2014 thread, to me he's our best scoring winger/forward if he was healthy back in the World Cup idk if Montero would have been our staring LW, either way, I like what Israel is been doing, Jeison Dominguez, and Velasco have been so pleasant to watch, Oyola is finally being used the way he should, Ely and Penilla are looking good, Suarez getting back in shape and props to Alex Bolanos on the games he's been having, he keeps this up and Gruezo will have serious competition on our NT.

Liga, BSC and even Cuenca seem to be finding their game, add that to Independiente and we are gonna have a good second etapa. Emelec will have competition.

I can't wait for Liga/Nacional tomorrow

9. Kr0nika R0ja

Kr0nika R0ja Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Big Apple
    Club:
    Deportivo Cuenca
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Suarez just killed it yesterday. I can truly say this is his best for ..EVER! He did more in the little time he was in than Nieto did. Honestly, Nieto isn't as effective without Colon (Colon le daba Medio goles al man el otro an'o). Esterilla is also really impressing me. No idea why Penilla wasn't there but that trio right their is guaranteed to bring a few scares to defenses in the Ecua league.

10. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I noticed Penilla esta perdiendo espacio ultimamente. I'm guess it's because of Nieto, but in all honesty I would keep the top three guys Esterilla-Penilla-Suarez or MJQ-Esterilla-Penilla. Crazy how Suarez and Penilla are bench smh....only in our futbol these things happen.

barcelonista1981 repped this.
  11. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I said this before, BSC sould quit on foreign forwards, if you aske me, Penilla, Suarez, Esterilla and they should have kept Montano in the bench, I bet you the new guy Blanco is another flop

12. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Solid win, Nieto has to be benched

13. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #1213 b9d23m89, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    Penilla was beast tonight. He has to be my favorite striker/winger/mediapunta there is in the futbol ecuatoriano. Him and Juan Luis Anangono who is also doing really well lately, but Penilla has been consistent for an entire year and some change now. He was showing signs of great futbol in the Segunda Etapa of 2013 and he carried it on to this year and hasn't lost his form at all even when he gets benched for 1 or 2 games and has to come off the bench. He's got to be the most consistent I've seen in BSC in the last year.

If anyone has seen Penilla play, everyone knows hes fast, agile, powerful, and has a great shot. Es bien gambeteador as well and he's not selfish. He knows when to pass and when to shoot and his diagonals he makes are devastating to a defense. He can play on the left, on the right, and has even played as a false target man tipo Enner in BSC. But something that really stands out about him is that this kid never gets tired....Jeez! there were like 4 plays off the top of my head that I can remember where he sprinted back to recover a ball and did it successfully. If anyone has watched Enner play, he is very good at intercepting and stealing balls when he's pressuring. Sometimes he doesn't even put so much pressure on the defense and steals balls. It's a very unique and important trait these two guys have. I have to say Penilla is something else. Another one of those type of players that Bauza is a big fan of.

And might I add, Pedro Velasco was insanely good as well. You can tell that ever since JC Paredes left, he's been motivated and his performance levels have increased dramatically. I say seleccion for both of them for these friendlies....undoubtedly without an argument. Gio Nazareno did good too. But with him you never know what could happen. Ever since that long 2 year suspension he had, he hasn't been able to recover his level which is also why sometimes he plays and sometimes Jeison Dominguez plays. Those two years of no futbol affected his career...by now he would've been in a position similar or better than JC Paredes. Wouldn't hurt to have him as a 3rd or 4th string sub under Cristian Ramirez, Gabriel Corozo, and Mario Pineida on the NT for the left back as long as he maintains this level. Let's see if he can at least finish off the season playing like this. With Velasco I have no doubts. I know that kid can be consistent, he just needed his opportunity and it finally became possible after JC Paredes left and he's taking advantage of it fully.

Knowing Vizuete and how he wants his process from a few years back to continue, it won't surprise me to see Velasco, Penilla, and even someone like Mario Pineida in the next call up. Velasco just needs consistency now. He's a player that consolidated his starting spot for around 1 and a half years back when he was 17 in D.Quito w/o losing momentum until he went to BSC. These friendlies will be a perfect time to introduce him to the NT especially since he seems to have confidence in himself right now.

One more thing I wanted to add...Velasco is barely 20 years old. That's crazy. I thought he was somewhere along Bryan de La Torre's age (22 or 23).

14. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree. He's not a bad striker at all. He's just not had a great year b/c bad health has played a great factor. But when you EVER bench a consistent player like Penilla and Eterilla, it should be for a good reason (a better player starting instead of them?). Suarez has made a good come back. He participated a lot in the 1st half although he wasn't as dangerous as Penilla, he still was an important player in BSC's attacking half.

15. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    http://www.ecuagol.com/ecuagol/index.php?n=57234

Cristian Penilla's number are awesome. He's the second best at recovering balls after Alex Bolanos (whose sole purpose is to do that since he's a #5) in the Copa Sudamericana for BSC. Most shots on goal and creates the most opportunities for goals to be made and also has the second most amount of completed passes behind Alex Bolanos. I hope he doesn't end up in Mexico. I feel like this kid is actually one of the few that can aim higher and surprise everyone.

16. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Couldnt agree more, I cant believe his agent cant land him on France, Holland, Greece or Portugal, like I understand England, Spain, Germany and Italy are hard but the leagues are mentioned need to be explored more by our players managers.
    Keep an eye on Esterilla he also has nice numbers considering he plays lower amount of minutes.

17. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I like Esterilla too. He's improved tons since the beginning of the season. I never expected much from him, but he's doing very well. We'll see how he progresses from here to December. By the way it looks he's on a roll. Fue de menos a mas esta temporada.

I agree with you about the agents. I think the reason there's not many ecuas in the leagues you mentioned is mainly because of the agents. The Eredivise seems like a very very suitable league for ecuadorian players. Jose Valencia, Giovanny Espinoza, Edison Mendez, Renato Ibarra - all triumphed there. I never understood why we don't export more talent there. There's not been one player we've sent there that has failed and it's always a good step into the european scene so players can make the jump to a top tier league after being there for a season or two. Surprisingly Renato hasn't made the jump which is hard to believe.

18. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    7 in a row. God what a game by Chivo Suarez

19. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  20. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Truth is his contract expires in June 2015 with Liga. And Liga is planning on selling him, so if BSC or Emelec would want him, I'm sure Liga would ask for something around $2 million which I highly doubt either team would pay because they don't have the need to sign a keeper. BSC is fine with Banguera and Lanza has always been a good back up. Emelec is fine with Dreer as a starter and Arana has been a great back up as well. Dominguez is just desperate to play and seems like he can't take being on the bench anymore. It's understandable. But it's also understandable that Daniel Viteri is the starter based on his great games this season. If anything Liga is giving him the treatment he would have in a competitive European team (same goes for Canga). The minute you get injured, if the sub performs well then you're sh*t outta luck. Gotta wait til you get your chance again.

21. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I am surprised we hanged on as long as we did, Emelec is way ahead of us at the moment, our morale could not be worse, we'd probably take another loss with Atletico Nacional this week and I think we are seeing the last days of Israel so in other words kiss the first etapa good bye, as usual its a waste of round and we'll play with our backs against the wall for the entire second half.

22. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Barcelona has a good squad. The year isn't over for you guys, that's for sure. BUT there's a huge difference when you have jugadores de jerarquia like Penilla, Suarez, Alex Bolanos, and even freakin Peppino (who is miles ahead of Andres Lamas....worst signing BSC could've made). Henry Patta isn't Suarez or Penilla y no lo sera jamas. Edison Vega is a great player but Alex Bolanos was a consolidated player and one of the best #5 of 2014. Marlon viene de una lesion larga....Colon viene de una temporada irregular. Tito Valencia is maybe one of the few that came from having a good season in El Nacional. Brahian Aleman was the only signing that was 100% on the spot. That player is definitely worth it and he'll only improve. BSC can see that best of him once the TEAM starts playing well. I think Israel didn't ask for the great majority of players that came into the squad this season. Siempre los Noboa's son los que contratan. They've always had their obsession with Saritama, Bieler, Segundo Castillo, etc. etc. Every season they try to sign these guys. Even Marlon. Marlon was a player that BSC wanted since a while ago. Noboa is like a little kid who wants a new bunch of toys each season a su capricho and that isn't good. Can't have him choosing the players Israel plays with.

The 4-3-3 from last year changed to 4-4-2 this year obviously due to the fact that there's players with different characteristics, but the main idea should've been to sign players with similar characteristics....not what Noboa wants.

23. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Agreed, you nailed it to 100% but this is what bothers me, why is it that EVERY January when we start el campeonato we have like 10 new players, I feel as if we never have a stable backbone, a column, una base, in just 2 years since our last championship we have said our goodbyes to, Erazo, Campos, Paredez, Kitu, Arroyo, Amaya, Jose Ayovi, Narciso Mina, Penilla, Suarez, MJQ, Alex Bolanos just to name a few KEY players who have left us, I know we'll get hot at some point and make a legit run, yet I cant help to think that we yield too many points every first Etapa.

By the way, congrats on the way you guys are playing, looking good LDU

24. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The reason why BSC doesn't progress long term (like Emelec, Liga, Independiente or even River) is because of THAT ^ reason. I've always said it. It's THAT and switching coaches every 6 months to a year. But the reason there's always a switch in coaching staff is a bit correlated to the amount of transfers (in and out or to and from BSC) each season. The problem is that even when there's been transfers out of BSC, the players you guys are signing don't even have the same characteristics....so how is Israel (or any coach for that matter) maintain the same system of playing?

Zubeldia started something amazing in BSC which is why you guys held a cup at the end of 2012 and the MAIN reason was b/c there was a true process in the works. With Bryan De la Torre, Carlos Gruezo, Cristian Cruz as the juveniles and young guys like Roosevelt Oyola and Jose Ayovi getting opportunities to play. That was the new blood of BSC and Costas kept the flow going until the end of 2012 and then 2013 he did everything his own way and killed the flow Zubeldia initiated in 2011 when he came to BSC. Zubeldia is the type of coach you want. He doesn't get manipulated by a president. He does things his way and you just gotta have faith in him and think long term. BSC didn't exactly respect that, but if they did he would've stayed there for a while and BSC would've seen true success beyond winning the 2012 campeonato b/c the squad that Zubeldia had for 2012 was incredibly good. He had freakin JC Paredes, Erazo, Campos, Diaz, Arroyo, Jose Ayovi, Narciso Mina, MJ Quinonez, Matamoros, Carlos Gruezo, Roosevelt Oyola, Jose Amaya, etc. etc. etc. If BSC trusted Zubeldia with these guys long term, they had potential to do damage in the international scene. That BSC era como tener una seleccion...jerarquia de sobra. But BSC let that moment go. That was the moment to take advantage of. Equipos asi no se repiten (por lo menos en nombres).

And as far as this year, Israel doesn't have the same players he used to like I stated in an earlier post. He can't play like he wants to (how he did last year). He doesn't have Penilla, Bolanos, and Suarez. They were that important to the squad...and they have international appeal which is why they're not there anymore.

If BSC wants to see real success they need to quit signing 20 players every season trying to show off which is exactly what the Noboas love to do (they love drawing attention aka marketing) and take a look at their canteras to establish a solid BASE. That's the most important thing. Do the Noboa not see what Independiente, River, Emelec have done? Is he not watching what Liga did these last two seasons? Bauza started the rebuilding with Jose Cevallos Jr and Patricio Hurtado a few years ago and the last year he was in Liga he gave Kevin Mercado and Gabriel Corozo first division exposure. Now Mercado is in Godoy Cruz, Jose Cevallos is a much more experienced player after coming back from Juventus Primavera last year, and Gabriel Corozo is out in Granada (even though he's struggling to get his minutes lately). Zubeldia came and continued the flow and fully establish a base of youth in Liga with the introduction of Luis Canga (who has already played on the senior NT), Jefferson Intriago, Hansel Batalla, and now Pervis Estupinan. Not one of these players has failed to perform and they almost always have good games with Liga. Rarely is there a game where I can pin point a juvenil and say "damn he didn't perform well at all".

Anyways, it's clear the formula is #1 sign a good coach who can have longevity with the team and #2 support your youth system. It's the freakin heart of your team. Those are the players that are hungry. Shoot! those players are usually fans of the freakin team and have come up through all the youth ranks and are dying to get their moment to get on that field. Ellos si son los que sudan la camiseta y la sienten....just sayin.

It's the reason Emelec, Independiente, and River are doing well and it's the reason why Liga will rise again. Everyone's watching it as it happens.

25. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Looks like we are picking up pace, 15 more games in this Etapa for us, thats 45 points to dispute, nothing is said yet.