Barcelona and the Intertoto Cup

Discussion in 'Spain' started by sixer1, Apr 23, 2003.

1. sixer1

sixer1 New Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Now that Barca has no shot of getting
    into next year's champions league or uefa cup
    through league standings or winning the CL
    the only way to europe is the intertoto cup..
    which made me think how that could effect
    barca's summer friendlies in the US.
    Barca was scheduled to play
    on 7/27 vs Juventus in Boston
    on 7/31 vs America in Houston
    on 8/3 vs Man Utd in Philadelphia

If Barcelona is to play in the Intertoto Cup,
    they would have to play on 19/26 Jul in QF, 30 Jul/6 Aug in SF and 12/26 Aug in the final
    It jeopardizes all those fixtures unless they
    decide not to play in the Intertoto Cup..
    If Barca has to cancel those fixtures, do the
    promoters have enough time to schedule another
    opponet for the other sides
    This could be a mute point if Barca finishes in the
    top 6 of la liga, but we all know they are in trouble..

2. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't think of that until I saw this post, but you are right. From what I've read, Barcelona will most certainly participate in the Intertoto. Their current form doesn't provide much optimism for those who think they may be able to reach that 6th spot in La Liga, although I believe they are only 5 points out of that spot (currently held by Sevilla). It's safe to say that they won't be playing in the Champs League last year, but I wouldn't count them out for another 3-4 weeks.

I for one will be superbummed if they don't make it to the States for these games, especially the Foxboro one, since I'm planning to go to that.

3. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I dont know if you understand spanish sixer (I know you do it MCFf) but it seems the squad only will have 8 days to rest after the season is over:

La plantilla podría tener sólo ocho días de vacaciones si juega la Intertoto

http://www.sport.es/Barsa/article.asp?id=63663

4. sixer1

sixer1 New Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Philadelphia
    thanks for the article, i translated article from google

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that if Barca were to finish far enough down the table, and two other Spanish teams wanted to play the Intertoto that finished ahead of Barca (Atletico and Sevilla, for example) then Barca wouldn't even have the option of playing the Intertoto. Not to mention, their last couple of games are against quality teams like Celta, Valencia, Real Sociedad, Malaga, etc... and Rayo and Recre who are fighting to avoid relegation. It's not going to be easy for them to qualify for Europe, but with this tough end to the season, how are their chances of moving up that far in the league?

It's going to be a tough decision and the fact that the team only gets 8 days off will only add fuel to the debate, especially since many teams have declined to play the Intertoto because of the negative effect it has had on their players, spending their energy too early in the season.

6. Jay Clark

Jay Clark New Member

May 21, 2001
    Wrigleyville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly. Not to mention that everybody had a 'short' summer last year with the World Cup. And given the general feeling that the Barca medical staff isn't working any miracles on the current squad, one has to wonder if the risk is worth it. Throw in the general uncertainty surrounding the elections, Antic, and any potential summer signings and you have one big pot of uncertainty. Never a dull moment around Nou Camp is there?

Don't know why I just thought about it, but does anybody know what the state of the 'Ciutat Esportiva' is? I'm thinking that's gotta be another thing weighing on the budget.

7. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Antic's continuity its still in doubt, it seems hes not the miracle maker the fans wished, the elections, and the signings add more dramatism to the environment in Can Barça, to think that heavy environment preceded the fall of Gaspart and LvG!