Barca - Chelsea 2nd leg [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Apr 24, 2012.

1. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to what matters:

overall thoughts on Cakir? I was only able to see the second half, so missed the Terry send-off. From what I saw, the game seemed relatively well managed from a ref's point of view. I was glad to see him get this assignment and it appears he did his job well.

Other views?

2. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I think he did a good job overall, but what is fascinating is that I don't think he made either of the two biggest decisions in the match, the Terry red and the PK against Drogba (which I think was a poor decision, but with the PK missed this is escaping notice).

I also thought he got pressured by the crowd into giving Cech a yellow for timewasting when he did (but there was 0% chance of Cech making it through that second half without picking one up).

3. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Your problem is not my problem. I couldnt care less what your problem is.

And I most certainly discussed the referee in my very first post. If anybody steered the discussion the wrong way, its you. If you dont want to hear my opinion then restrain yourself from reading my posts, let alone replying to me. Seems like your nerves are a little off.:D

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won't have much problem restraining himself, because four of them are gone now.

You clearly don't know the purpose of this forum. You've now been sanctioned. I suggest finding the rivalry board or your team forum to spout your nonsense. If not, the sanctions will continue.

For everyone else, please just ignore him. Thanks.

5. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    LOL a yellow card? What ever happened to free speech?
    Some sensitive people in here. Guess I gotta go so I dont cause anyone a heart attack :D

6. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I disagree it was time wasting and he was trying to stop it early so the game didn't dissolve into a farce. I like referees who spot these things early and stop it, sometimes they look strict from the outside, but in the players minds they are strong.

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a private online forum. The people in charge decide the rules.

1 person likes this.
  8. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first amendment doesn't apply to private businesses or private property. "Free speech" only exists out in public, in your house, and in government institutions (public schools, govn't buildings...)

And I thought the match was well done; well managed.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I don't disagree with your premise, but if you are going to card, at least wait until he is actually wasting time to give it.

There were times that Cech could have been cautioned for time wasting.
    This wasn't one of them.

10. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Really good game from Cakir, I thought. He did miss a couple of things, however:

Terry deserved his red (what a stupid move on his part), but Sanchez also deserved a yellow for that awful rolling around. Pretty terrible acting there.

The penalty was a a pretty blatant dive. Although it is hard to blame Cakir for giving it, it's really too bad that they couldn't have spotted the cheating there.

Why wasn't Messi sent off for his instance of VC? Cakir clearly saw it and elected not to punish it.

Although this has nothing to do with Cakir, it is also really a shame that a player who collected a yellow for dissent can miss the final for that. They knew the rules going in and should have been more careful, so they have nobody but themselves to blame. But that is a pretty harsh rule. It might be better if it were adjusted such that only yellows for contact (or intention to make contact) with an opponent were counted toward the accumulation.

11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't watch at work and I'm only now coming around to watching the highlights. A few points/questions, which I'll use based of maturin's post...

This is now 4 or 5 people calling for this, I think. Question: has anyone ever seen this called in a professional or international match? If not, you really think a UCL semifinal is going to be the location where a referee goes rogue? Sorry, but I think people are grasping at straws here. You may not like it, but two things...

1) It never gets called and this would be a hell of a stage to start doing so
    2) If you did call it, you now have to evaluate ever case of exaggeration on every single injury the rest of the match... and punish all such cases with cautions. Anyone prepared to do that in this match? Or want the referee to do that?

From the angles I've seen, it looks really hard to tell. I certainly wouldn't call it "pretty blatant." Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't... but if it was, it was a very well timed and executed dive. No blame for Cakir at all, as he definitely went with the AAR (or at least consulted with him).

Anyone got video of this? Haven't seen it yet.

Sorry, but this is then free reign to yell at referees and delay free kicks and dive. All cautions have to be created equal, or they shouldn't be cautions in the first place. I understand you have well-meaning intentions, but this is a terrible rule change.

12. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm sorry in regards to the penalty incident, but are people watching the same thing I am? It's a clear foul. Fabregas plays the ball behind Drogba and Drogba takes him out. What is the complaint? Good Fabregas have stayed up possible, but it's not like Drogba laid a hand on his back and then Fabregas fell over.

I think some of us on this forum want players to be over the top honest. It's admirable, but it is asking a little to much. Yeah, I don't like guys going to ground easy as much as the next. But if Fabregas tries to stay on his feet and stumbles and puts in a poor cross then Drogba won and I don't know about you, but I like attacking to prevail over defending.

Same thing with the Terry incident. Yeah, Sanchez could have done without the rolling around, but if he stays on his feet and does nothing then Terry gets away with a blatant cheap shot and dirty play. Is that really fair? Also giving a yellow to Sanchez there would basically nullify the Terry red card.

I really don't understand the outrage about players missing Finals due to yellow cards. It's no secret. Players know the rules. If you don't want to miss a Final don't pick up yellow cards. It's that simple.

My only complaint in regards to the CL is that the cards don't clear out after the group stages. So you can technically get a caution in the first group game, in the second one and then in the 12th match (semi-final second leg) get a third and miss the Final. That is a little harsh. So they should just wipe the cards clear after the group stage.

13. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I have to agree 100% with this. Players who have clearly not been touched or have 'suffered' extremely light fouls have made as much or more of it and not been cautioned. A ref really needs to make sure he/she is completely sure the player is faking it (see the thread where a ref cautions/red cards an unconscious player!!!).

Also, one thing that I haven't seen here is that the ball is no where near Terry when he knees him. He can't possibly claim anything other than intent to injure there, period!

Lastly, nice job keeping this forum on the right track, Mass. We appreciate it.:D

14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terry is a malicious player who with intent tried to sneak in a cheap shot by kneeing the Barcelona player in the tailbone. I can tell you if you have ever been hit there it is quite painful and you will drop to the ground. There was no embellishment to that foul.

15. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drogba wasn't breaking up an attack as it happened in midfield. It was a good application of advantage since Barcelona got the ball and quickly pushed to attack. Barcelona knew Drogba was on a caution from the Messi penalty so they wanted a card.

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reporter told the player the truth. I feel no sympathy for Ivanovic who is proving himself to be a fine protege of the John Terry school of thuggery and misconduct. It was telling that Czech restrained Terry from adding further to his misconduct. Classy move by Petr.

To fathom the level of denial Terry lives in, it was reported at halftime that Terry claimed to the reported that the Barcelona player backed into him. My God does he not have any shame. Could he for once be a man and accept the fact he was caught be wanker. Seriously, several players make Chelsea a difficult team to like, much less root for.

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he did an excellent job. He was very fair. The red card of Terry speaks volumes on the abilities of the assistant to focus on not only offside, but to see the misconduct.

18. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Remember when you agreed to the Terms of Service when you first registered?
    There went your "free speech". ;)

3 people repped this.
  19. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, any idea what Ramires did to get his yellow card?

20. ntxsage

ntxsage Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't agree there is any clear foul on the PK. Drogba should've known better than to go to ground, but from the replays shown there appeared to be no contact with Fabregas. Fabregas appeared to have pulled off a very well timed dive, a skill which the center should've known is well rehearsed in many a barca attacking player.

I think Terry should've been cautioned for UB, not sent off for VC. Sanchez absolutely embellished and the ref would've only seen the embellishment. You get worse on your average corner kick or set piece. There's no consistency in Terry's getting str8 red and later not sending Messi off for shoving Lampard in the chest with two hands.

I must be in the minority here, but I think the center was in over his head and allowed the crowd or barca players to influence too many of his decisions. Far too many soft cautions were given out to Chelsea players. The caution for Chec was beyond ridiculous.

21. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    You're holding the whole class back.

22. Back2NY

Back2NY Member

Feb 2, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Ntxsage, you might be a bit biased??

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What about the Fabregas leg hug on lampard right before the Messi incident? That should have been yellow, but nothing was given.

25. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What implications are there for OFFINABUS?